• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - When Did US Anime Publishers Transition from VHS to DVD?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

Neither attitude is right but is just what the individual person experiences when they see it.

It's like when someone paints their nails: An esthetician can look at the job and wince at every streak, every dot, every cuticle, while other people give the painter actual compliments because they like the colour, the sparkle, and genuinely don't see any issues.

I get what you're saying, but I don't really agree with the idea that both ways are just as good, or just as "right". Certainly not technically. But if you don't care about the actual video quality, that is fine. Just not really something I understand at all.
masat01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
My first DVD was either Azumanga Daioh Volume 1, which I bought from Amazon or a bootleg copy of AIR, which I also bought from Amazon, waaaaaay before they started striking down on bootleggers.
Or it may have been a rental from Blockbuster *flashbacks begin*

If we're counting Pokemon as anime, then I had many, many Pokemon VHS tapes. I had the soundtracks to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd movies as well.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
With increasing frequency, I had to make a VHS copy of whatever episodes we were watching that week from my or other club members' DVDs in order to use the school equipment to show those VHS-less series for club.

Those series and soooo many others wasted a good two hours of my life copying and recopying onto the same dogeared blank VHS cassette each week just so we could watch newly released anime. I hated doing it, but there was no other way to watch new anime series on the school A/V equipment (older series on VHS weren't a problem).

Haha, I remember doing this time consuming thing too to help my club. It was also the first time I had to look into getting video and sound off of my PC and onto a VHS and then toward the end how to encode to DVD.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I definitely remember the PS2 being the impetus for many people to watch stuff on DVDs. To a lesser extent, I saw the same happening with PS3s and Blu-Rays: When the PS3 came out, even at US$600, it was still the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. I was in college at the time, and I'd hear conversations from film students getting PS3s solely to watch Blu-Rays. Was the PS2 the cheapest DVD player on the market at the time too? Or did people buy PS2s to play video games and saw the DVD-playing as a nice bonus?

For the record, we got our first DVD player around 2002 or 2003. Our first DVD was Toy Story 2 (but our oldest one is Pleasantville--it's old enough that it shows off "Interactive Menus" as a special feature). Our first anime DVD, however, was Tenchi Muyo!, which I bought at a Suncoast for US$160. Man, that hurt.

We wouldn't acquire a Blu-Ray player until 2012, where we found a refurbished one for US$80. To date, this is the only Blu-Ray player in this house. Our first Blu-Ray was Brave (you might notice a pattern here). Our first anime Blu-Ray was Summer Wars.

WingKing wrote:
I was one of those people who came to DVD via Playstation 2 - I got mine in 2001, and I remember at the time feeling like I was a late adopter, so it's interesting to hear other people on here talking about not getting theirs until much later than I did. My PS2 is actually still my primary DVD player to this day, though I'm planning to finally upgrade to a Playstation 4 and Blu-Ray capacity in the next couple of months. I've been buying anime BDs for a while, but I've only been able to watch them at other people's houses who already have BD players.

And yeah, VHS quality pictures never bothered me, either. My parents got our first VCR in 1983, so it was what I was used to for almost 20 years. VHS generally looks awful on modern flatscreens, of course (so does the picture on my original NES, for that matter), but I still have one of those old portable TVs with a VCR built-in, so I just use that if I have a video to watch, and the picture looks fine on it. I only still have a handful of tapes at this point, though, mostly collectible or keepsake things like my high school senior class video. Any movies that I still wanted to own I upgraded a long time ago, and I never had any anime on VHS. The first anime I ever watched were on the dreaded traded tapes, but those belonged to my friends, not to me.

Lord Geo wrote:
\In general, though, VHS is also how I grew up with home video, so the video quality of it still doesn't bother me too much, though it's obviously not the best out there. To be fair, though, I have recorded some of my VHS-only anime onto DVD via a VCR/DVD combo unit that allows for "direct dubbing" (a.k.a. recording from VHS to DVD) & even has HDMI output. Amazingly enough, the VHS tapes that I've seen through HDMI via this unit actually look pretty good, so I think VHS has held up far better than I think most believe.

VCRs are still being produced and sold to this day, and modern ones are HDMI-equipped. I've seen them sold at Fry's Electronics, and it stood out to me when I first stumbled across them. So definitely, I'd agree that VHS tapes still have some sort of advantage over other home video media if there is still a market for VCRs, like how typewriters still have their uses, such as for filling out forms.

EricJ2 wrote:
The fact that you could release a sub and dub on one disk singlehandedly ended the Dub wars and could put one version of a title on timid retail shelves that would appeal to all the fans, instead of only going for the "safer" dub version and exiling the sub to pricey limited editions fans had to hunt comic shops for...Which also demonstrated to the movie studios what you could do with those subtitle and dual-audio tracks.

I hate to break it to you, but the sub vs. dub conflict is still going on. (But I think it's no coincidence that I see it flare up the worst on YouTube, where there usually isn't a language option.)

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I bought my first DVD player specifically to use Netflix, which seemed like a dream come true. Oddly enough, I only learned of its existence when the post office delivered someone's disk to me by mistake. I nearly threw it out, thinking it was some promo disk, like the ones AOL saturated the world with, and when I found a real movie inside, I still couldn't believe it wasn't a scam. Very Happy

Although I had watched some anime on rented VHS, it was almost entirely due to Netflix that I became an anime fan, since the local rental shops didn't carry a very good selection of anime in any format.

I had a hard time truesting Netflix back then. Not sure how they do it now, but they seemed able to avoid the whole mutilation of discs that the brick-and-mortar rental stores always had huge problems with. You know, stuff like deep gouges, cracks on the edges (usually the inner one because the plastic is weaker there), and weird smells. I know how Redbox does it: If they deem the condition bad enough, they deduct the price of the disc from the card you use to pay for the rental with. But Netflix's subscription model never felt designed for that.

I think some of the locals used Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos as a kind of DVD "restoration" service, so to speak, where they'd swap out their destroyed discs for the rental store's good-condition ones, and so I'd be the next one to rent it and get something dumb like this. It happened about half the time I'd try to rent something, and I'd have to return to the store at least twice until I can find a working copy. How did Netflix deal with people like this?

Zin5ki wrote:
The matter would rest with the breadth of titles one wishes to appreciate, given the fidelity one has come to demand. Everyone has a few old titles in their collection that are unlikely to receive a Blu-Ray rescue, and in my case, I fear that to grow accustomed to the enhanced resolutions currently available would be to dispense of one's ability to enjoy older gems in the forms in which they exist.

I can say that with the case of my collection of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! It's on DVD, but it looks really bad, with all the blurriness, off-model and wobbly animation, and lack of clean-up you'd expect out of a cheaply made Saturday morning cash-in show from the late 80's, and I won't have it any other way.

relyat08 wrote:
I get what you're saying, but I don't really agree with the idea that both ways are just as good, or just as "right". Certainly not technically. But if you don't care about the actual video quality, that is fine. Just not really something I understand at all.

If the quality of the original material is incredibly low to begin with, then it really doesn't matter (like my aforementioned example of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!). I don't understand why anyone would insist on watching, say, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? in 1080p or higher, for instance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I had a hard time truesting Netflix back then. Not sure how they do it now, but they seemed able to avoid the whole mutilation of discs that the brick-and-mortar rental stores always had huge problems with.
How did Netflix deal with people like this?

They supposedly had people inspecting disks as they came back, but afaik they didn't charge you for unplayable/broken disks because it could've been damaged in transit. Maybe if someone sent back every disk damaged they might cancel them, but I never heard of it. I think they also got the PO to design sorting equipment that was easier on disks (which I assume other disk-by-mail businesses benefited from as well).

A few years in, after they got big enough, Netflix apparently started getting Netflix-specific dvds (for big Hollywood releases anyway), which had different labels on the disks than home purchases. So if someone swapped a disk, they'd know.

Of the hundreds of dvds I rented (until they scaled way back on their anime library and I cancelled) I think I probably only had to return a dozen as unplayable. One title in particular arrived broken (as in, dozens of shards) 4 times! Either the disks were just cheap for that release, or someone really had it in for that title. Smile

Not sure what you mean by you had a hard time trusting them. Were you afraid you'd get charged for bad disks that weren't your fault?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much started collecting anime on DVD. I've picked up some older stuff in sales over the years, but pretty much the only stuff I bought on VHS when it was brand new on shelves is kids fair like Digimon and Cardcaptors that was only available at the time on VHS (although the Cardcaptors movie had come out on both formats simultaneously, and while dub-only the DVD has a lovely set of menus - a far cry from the hilariously bad DVDs for the dubbed TV series that were pooped out a year or so after the VHS tapes with their spine-spanning art and free stickers)

WingKing wrote:
I was one of those people who came to DVD via Playstation 2 - I got mine in 2001, and I remember at the time feeling like I was a late adopter, so it's interesting to hear other people on here talking about not getting theirs until much later than I did.

My first DVD player was a second-hand LG unit without a remote (I thought it would be OK since the main controls were on the front, until my first anamorphic disc which was squeezed onto my 14" TV). I was a late adopter of the PS2; I got Dynasty Warriors 3 with mine and I believe it was not long out, so it must have been out a couple of years. From that point, it was my only DVD player (including using an Action Replay to change region codes) until I upgraded to a full HD screen and got a cheap upscaling player to go with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I definitely remember the PS2 being the impetus for many people to watch stuff on DVDs. To a lesser extent, I saw the same happening with PS3s and Blu-Rays: When the PS3 came out, even at US$600, it was still the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. I was in college at the time, and I'd hear conversations from film students getting PS3s solely to watch Blu-Rays. Was the PS2 the cheapest DVD player on the market at the time too? Or did people buy PS2s to play video games and saw the DVD-playing as a nice bonus?

For the record, we got our first DVD player around 2002 or 2003. Our first DVD was Toy Story 2 (but our oldest one is Pleasantville--it's old enough that it shows off "Interactive Menus" as a special feature). Our first anime DVD, however, was Tenchi Muyo!, which I bought at a Suncoast for US$160. Man, that hurt.

The PS3 wasn't the cheapest bluray player at the time. Sony, Samsung, and others had models in the $300-400 range ( and even lower on sale.). The PS3 had a big advantage because it was the only player that was fully upgradable, full compliant with future bluray protocol, and had internet connectivity right out of the box.

The first batch of bluray players were released before the format was finalized, so they lacked a lot of features that were or would be available on the PS3. The internet protocols weren't ready, as they were in the case of HD-DVD, so the players couldn't be upgraded online. They required the firmware updates to be downloaded to a computer, burned to a disc, and then loaded onto the bluray player. If any of you are familiar with how often bluray firmware and software is updated, particularly copyright protection, then you can imagine how much of a pain in the ass this was.

A lot of retailers like Best Buy pushed the PS3 because it was the most reliable, best performing, and easiest to upgrade bluray player. It was featured prominently not only in the gaming sections of stores, but also with their TV's and bluray players. Sales people were even encouraged to push people towards it over other bluray players, despite making less money on it, so they wouldn't have to deal with as many headaches from people wondering why their relatively new bluray player couldn't play the latest releases.

Incompatibility issues, particularly do to new copyright protection, was an issue for several years after bluray launched. It didn't finally ease up until internet connectivity basically became a requirement and wifi connected players became common place. A lot of the very earliest bluray players stopped being updated fairly early, due to hardware limitations and companies pushing newer models. So quite a few very early adopters got burned with players that stopped being able to play the newest releases in less than two years.

When I worked at Best Buy, I had no issues convincing a lot of people to spend the extra money on the PS3, after explaining the issues with the cheaper bluray players that had no internet connectivity. Considering the limited life and compatibility issues those players were likely to have, it was easy to convince people to spend the extra $100-$200. It was better than spending $300-$400 on a player that would be outdated and possibly not usable in a year or two.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall reading somewhere/somewhen that that the VCR industry was basically treading water when an earthquake caused severe damage to the only factory providing VCR tape to the country of Japan. It was basically game over, then.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
The fact that you could release a sub and dub on one disk singlehandedly ended the Dub wars and could put one version of a title on timid retail shelves that would appeal to all the fans, instead of only going for the "safer" dub version and exiling the sub to pricey limited editions fans had to hunt comic shops for...Which also demonstrated to the movie studios what you could do with those subtitle and dual-audio tracks.

I hate to break it to you, but the sub vs. dub conflict is still going on. (But I think it's no coincidence that I see it flare up the worst on YouTube, where there usually isn't a language option.).

No, now the Sub vs. Dub "wars" is just about whether or not you happen to like them.
In the VHS day, it was about WHERE you could buy them, or whether they were released at all.
VHS's only had room to be subbed or dubbed, and most mainstream retail stores preferred Dubbed. That's why more dubbed titles were made, why there were more of them available, and why they were $10-$15 cheaper than the dubbed VHS. Viz sold dubbed Ranma 1/2 tapes on just about every MediaPlay shelf, but you had to get your comic-book store to special-order the "Special Edition" subbed Ranma 1/2 S1 volumes, for $35. Each.
In supporting one or the other, you were supporting the very business future of how anime existed, and since dubbing in the mid-90's was often not very good, saying you liked the cheap dubs because they were "easier" was tantamount to saying "Who cares about the original voices with subs?" And those weren't fighting words, those were Armageddon words.

When the DVD of Tenchi Muyo in Love came out, it was subbed and dubbed...Disks could do that. You didn't have to worry about which one you bought, since whichever one you bought was the one you wanted. And stores didn't have to worry about which version to sell, they just had to sell the title.
That changed...a lot of things. Anime smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't that just the tape stock that broadcasters use?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The PS3 wasn't the cheapest bluray player at the time. Sony, Samsung, and others had models in the $300-400 range ( and even lower on sale.). The PS3 had a big advantage because it was the only player that was fully upgradable, full compliant with future bluray protocol, and had internet connectivity right out of the box.

It was also the only affordable one that WORKED. Sony's SD-300 was the mainstream "model T" that was meant to be cheap enough for most people to jump on, and quickly became the Blu-haters' whipping boy. If you wanted the higher end home-theater one with no problems, Sony had those for $600, surround-speakers not included.
Folks (mostly X-box fans and cheapskates) who wanted to see the Blu-ray wars over would post YouTube videos of the half hour--no, really--that it would take Disney's Pirates 2 disk and menu to load up on an SD-300.
While us insufferably smug and contented PS3 users joked, "'Loading times'? What're those? Smile"

DVD's, OTOH, nobody saw the point of. It was seeming to appeal to laserdisc fans, but laser fans were happy with what they had, weren't sold any advantage except the discs were "smaller", and every other non-fan had accepted that laser just hadn't taken off as a format in the US now that you could also record on VHS.
(Although Siskel & Ebert were starting a campaign to make viewers aware that laser looked better, but it was too late before the DVD came along. When we finally discovered that DVD looked better, we blamed it on the DVD's.)

Basically, a new format needs three things:
1) It needs to solve a problem (like no rewinding, and scenes you can jump to)
2) It needs to have a "killer app" that makes you buy the format just to buy the disk. (Like The Matrix for movie fans, or the folks who bought Ghibli on disk.)
and
3) It needs to be accessible--No one is going to buy a format where you have to buy the cart, horse, and whip. A successful format has to be one where you can buy ONE piece to try it out with your existing technology, and then be hooked enough to invest in the hardware.
That's why everyone had such rage issues against 3DTV, except for the PS3 users who had already been firmware-upgraded to a Blu 3D player for free, and were already one-third of the way there.

And DVD caught on because you could play them on your desktop PC (if it had one of them new laser disc-drives, like the first iMacs did), or you could play them on your PS2. Which you probably had already. Most of the first DVD buyers were gamer-kids, who didn't know the movies they bought at the software-store used bin, they just found another disk cheap enough to play on their game console.
When Blu battled HDDVD, both formats knew the importance of having it be compatible with an existing game console, and the Format War almost literally boiled down to a gamerz' spitting contest between PS3 users and Microsoft X-Box users. The living-room hardware fans couldn't care less, since the importance of HDTV hadn't sunk in yet, and HDDVD was looking like the more "respectable" format with Casablanca on disk.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti

Based upon my understanding of what I was reading, I would say that that it was the video cassette manufacturers who were primarily impacted – my understanding could be incorrect, though.

Last edited by nobahn on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
They supposedly had people inspecting disks as they came back, but afaik they didn't charge you for unplayable/broken disks because it could've been damaged in transit. Maybe if someone sent back every disk damaged they might cancel them, but I never heard of it. I think they also got the PO to design sorting equipment that was easier on disks (which I assume other disk-by-mail businesses benefited from as well).

A few years in, after they got big enough, Netflix apparently started getting Netflix-specific dvds (for big Hollywood releases anyway), which had different labels on the disks than home purchases. So if someone swapped a disk, they'd know.

Of the hundreds of dvds I rented (until they scaled way back on their anime library and I cancelled) I think I probably only had to return a dozen as unplayable. One title in particular arrived broken (as in, dozens of shards) 4 times! Either the disks were just cheap for that release, or someone really had it in for that title. Smile

Not sure what you mean by you had a hard time trusting them. Were you afraid you'd get charged for bad disks that weren't your fault?

I see. Even at brick-and-mortar stores, it sounds like you had an easier time renting things. Our local Hollywood Video required us to bring in a recent bill (whether it be water, gas and power, TV, phone, or otherwise) as proof that we actually lived at the address on the subscription form. According to people there, they had problems with individuals who would rent a lot of movies and video games while submitting fake addresses so they could keep all of the things they rented.

When I say I had a hard time trusting Netflix, I meant that I was afraid I would be unable to get usable discs for months at a time and thus the monthly fees wouldn't be worth it, considering I was more likely to find mutilated discs at brick-and-mortar stores than well-working ones. Since they ship the discs directly to you, it would take a while to reach me and so I cannot immediately go over and swap it for a new one. (Remember those "Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery" clauses? I live in one of those places that takes the full 8 weeks.) The other reason, which I didn't really mention much, is that our local postal workers are not very reliable. Packages frequently go missing or arrive damaged (magazines with shredded corners or left out in the rain, cardboard boxes caved in on one side, etc.), and until they moved away, a group of boys in the neighborhood got a kick out of stealing other people's packages. Hence, I am always quite hesitant to subscribe to something involving package delivery.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

Do Blu-Ray players still need frequent updates via the Internet in order to play modern discs? We got ours refurbished, and I have never noticed any updates for it, but it's played everything I've stuck into it just fine.

Interesting to know that the PS3 was simply the most-pushed Blu-Ray players though. Those film students I spoke of had literally zero interest in video games, so they certainly weren't buying those PS3s for their primary purpose.

EricJ2 wrote:
No, now the Sub vs. Dub "wars" is just about whether or not you happen to like them.
In the VHS day, it was about WHERE you could buy them, or whether they were released at all.
VHS's only had room to be subbed or dubbed, and most mainstream retail stores preferred Dubbed. That's why more dubbed titles were made, why there were more of them available, and why they were $10-$15 cheaper than the dubbed VHS. Viz sold dubbed Ranma 1/2 tapes on just about every MediaPlay shelf, but you had to get your comic-book store to special-order the "Special Edition" subbed Ranma 1/2 S1 volumes, for $35. Each.
In supporting one or the other, you were supporting the very business future of how anime existed, and since dubbing in the mid-90's was often not very good, saying you liked the cheap dubs because they were "easier" was tantamount to saying "Who cares about the original voices with subs?" And those weren't fighting words, those were Armageddon words.

When the DVD of Tenchi Muyo in Love came out, it was subbed and dubbed...Disks could do that. You didn't have to worry about which one you bought, since whichever one you bought was the one you wanted. And stores didn't have to worry about which version to sell, they just had to sell the title.
That changed...a lot of things. Anime smile

Ah, I see what you mean. I got into anime at around the time things switched over to DVDs, so I missed that really bitter part of it. Never really thought of it that way, that it was an extension of availability.

Some people still get incredibly bitter over it all...but then again, people get incredibly bitter over anything. But yeah, you're right, now that I'm thinking about the incredible splitting of hairs considering much of the dub-hate going on right now on YouTube seems to be from people who want dub actors to pronounce things in Japanese accents (which I consider incredibly trivial compared to other things that can go wrong).

EricJ2 wrote:
When Blu battled HDDVD, both formats knew the importance of having it be compatible with an existing game console, and the Format War almost literally boiled down to a gamerz' spitting contest between PS3 users and Microsoft X-Box users. The living-room hardware fans couldn't care less, since the importance of HDTV hadn't sunk in yet, and HDDVD was looking like the more "respectable" format with Casablanca on disk.

Huh, I thought HD-DVD lost the war because its encryption was cracked first, and having created the encryption, the MPAA made a big hissy-fit over it.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The first dvd player I owned was, sure enough, a PS2 that I got on launch day in the year 2000, the first movies I watched on it were Fantasia 2000 (which blew me away) The 1999 The Mummy (first director's commentary I ever listened to), The Sound of Music and Jurassic Park.

However the PS2 was in my bedroom, other than hooking up to the PS2 once in the living room so my family could watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I continued to watch VHS well throughout 2001 and even into 2002, until my family bought a standalone dvd player for the living room that year.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn: This article seemed to only be concerned with the shortage of HDCAM SR tapes for broadcasters and other professional uses, and that Sony factory was the only place that produces them. I haven't read anything about consumer VHS being affected, probably because the demand for that had already bottomed out by the time the tsunami hit, and other companies also manufacture those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6