• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Analyst: Pokémon Go Shows Downward Trend Among Players

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msvitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
They should add a player vs player battle system instead of doing combat in gyms.
Just throwing pokeballs is a boring activity now
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
msvitch wrote:
They should add a player vs player battle system instead of doing combat in gyms.
Just throwing pokeballs is a boring activity now

They promised gameplay mechanics that aren't there. I stopped playing too. Collecting Pokémon has never been my main goal in any Pokémon game. The fun for me were the battles, the story, the details the world as a whole.
Pokémon go needs those mechanics right now.

But what also contributed to the drop in players is the fact that apks aren't allowed to be used anymore. That's imo most likely the main reason sadly.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
I think the removal of PokéStops in some areas are a contributing factor towards Pokémon GO's steady decline of users...
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
Niantic is currently making the biggest waste of potential in modern gaming. They had more downloads than twitter for an app that wasn't and still isn't complete. This was the time and place for taking initiative right away, making and announcing schedules for what feature they'll iron out as soon as possible. If it's this hard to fix three step system back together, hire new people, delegate more workforce towards it.

I still play it occasionally, and every time I'm reminded how tedious it is to keep the screen lit all the time, how being even kilometer away from town central means I only see pidgeys and even if I did find something new, I'd never find it with the current system.

Niantic's approach reminds me more of steam's Early Access indie titles, and that shit is not going to fly if you're trying to fit in with Nintendo/Pokemon co. quality standards.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
I knew it would eventually blow up on them. The game's success was fueled by people who didn't care about Pokemon past the 90s and people following the fad established by them playing Pokemon GO.

These people will fall out of Pokemon GO just like they fell out of the Pokemon craze in the first place.
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
Good riddance!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
They really do need something more for player-to-player interactivity (even something as minimal as trading, but preferably battling too). But with wonky tracking combined with a STUPID leveling/evolve mechanic PLUS no real way to directly interact with fellow players and you have something that is a novelty at first, but loses steam pretty quick.

(I still play, but I totally get why people are dropping off)
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
Always felt like they pushed this out too soon. Should have been in the oven till they were sure of their features and future outlook.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
I only started to really play this about two weeks ago (after I bought a new phone and it actually loaded the app; previously, I could only play on my tablet if I had Wi-Fi and even then I couldn't do much due to a lack of GPS), so everything is still really fresh to me. I hadn't even taken on a gym yet; I've been having fun hatching eggs, increasing my Pokedex, and collecting stardust and candies to help power up my favorites.

Although I'm not surprised with the decline. School's about to start up, and soon enough it'll start getting cold with fall and winter approaching. I know I'll probably be limiting my play once we start getting into the 40s all the time and can't go down near the lake where all of the best stops are (especially once we start getting snow). Hopefully Niantic will roll out some new innovations - like trading - and smooth out the bugs soon, and I agree with wanting to see Gen 2 come into play eventually. Some of my favorite Pokemon are in Gen 2.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Not shocking. By winter I think most people will have dropped the game. The novelty is wearing off for even the most hardcore of Pokemon fans. I dropped it when I became completely fed up with the tracking system and rampant cheating and half baked... Well... Everything. Maybe things will improve later but it's not worth my time right now.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It takes time and money to add the features that you want. I have no clue how much it cost Niantic to license the Pokemon characters, pay for the character animations, and simply just programming it all. No doubt it wasn't cheap. I don't know if the $20 million they've earned (when last reported) offset their full investment, but I'm glad to see that it's making money.

Every game goes through phases where it'll be super popular for a while and then interest will wane until something new pops up and piques interest again.

I love this game. I have fun walking to gyms, battling and seeing what Pokemon are in the vicinity where I go. Would I love to have Gen 2 Pokemon now? You bet. But I know all this takes time and money. Considering that there was just recently a GO update, it tells me that Niantic is stil working on it and will eventually incorporate the feature that we want. Until then, I'm going to continue to level up. Those level up increases are no joke.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I've seen reports on this data posted elsewhere, and what this article fails to relay is that although they have lost many users, their retention rate is still higher compared to similar statistics of other games. And so Pokemon Go is still more successful than other games.

I think it's just sensationalist news tactics to report the sheer number of losses without putting it into the context of just how many users Pokemon Go has (and therefore losing millions isn't actually that high a percentage), plus how no game manages to keep all users who ever downloaded it active.

http://www.themarysue.com/pokemon-go-player-loss/
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Fourteenthangel wrote:
These days I don't find myself wanting to playing too much these days. Unless they add more Pokemon or fix the game's many problems I don't see that changing anytime soon.

And this is why we see the decline. Sure, a natural dropoff as the "honeymoon" ends is normal, but Niantic as seriously sped this process up by being a month late to implement any real fixes, and those few fixes still are not good enough. They basically need to get on to Johto now, add the tracking they promised in the trailer, trading, and P2P battling if they want any playerbase by Winter. I get they're a small company, but being small doesn't mean they can get away with zero communication for 3 and a half weeks. That's going to be seriously hard to recover from. It's not that "it's just a fad, it had to blow up on them", no it's because they squandered their chance by smothering the game to death a week after release. The game wasn't ready for release.

I'll keep the game around and hope they someday get to Hoenn.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, how is this any different than other video games? Everyone gets excited for it, plays it, then drops it once they feel they're done with it.
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I've seen reports on this data posted elsewhere, and what this article fails to relay is that although they have lost many users, their retention rate is still higher compared to similar statistics of other games. And so Pokemon Go is still more successful than other games.

I think it's just sensationalist news tactics to report the sheer number of losses without putting it into the context of just how many users Pokemon Go has (and therefore losing millions isn't actually that high a percentage), plus how no game manages to keep all users who ever downloaded it active.

http://www.themarysue.com/pokemon-go-player-loss/

Of course it is. Sensationalist news tactics I mean, look at all the people in this comment thread who are all 'lel, look, I was right.' and think this data actually vindicates their opinion.

All it does is show that people play something less the longer it is out, like every game, when a big content patch comes out you can expect to see a spike for a bit then a dip and this will continue as long as the game is supported. I don't think it will fade out completely any time soon, though it could.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3