• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal: Season III

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Does Haruka NOT tell people she a girl??? I mean, I find it a little weird that her race team or whatever refer to her as he/him, which means they don't know shit about her. Doesn't Haruka need to show ID to race?
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
It definitely is so far. I saw it yesterday and I loved it!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It wonderfully captured the charm of the manga and 90's anime while being more faithful to the manga! I'd give this an A+. I think they may have improved on the transformations of the original anime, I can't decide which is better though.

"Occasionally sexier perspective" is definitely right, especially when you look at the transformations of the Sailors.

What's wrong with Mercury's pose in the 90's anime though? It looks fine to me. Look at this gif of Mercury from the Sailor Moon Mega Drive/Sega Genesis game, here she looks like she's gotta pee: http://45.media.tumblr.com/b780be3a379e13d871365dada2ed621b/tumblr_mu1zdc3w3U1qd4q8ao1_500.gif
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Quick note to all who may have commented/voted on the earlier version of this - we needed to relocate it to the show's new home in our CMS. Please feel free to repost your comments and recast your votes; my apologies for any inconvenience!
kamui85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
they fixed everything!!! especially those horrendous 3D henshins nobody liked. thats the power of the internet feedback for you!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
they fixed everything!!! especially those horrendous 3D henshins nobody liked. thats the power of the internet feedback for you!

More like the power of low sales.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Does Haruka NOT tell people she a girl??? I mean, I find it a little weird that her race team or whatever refer to her as he/him, which means they don't know shit about her. Doesn't Haruka need to show ID to race?

Kind of relieved I'm not the only one who thought of that. Wouldn't your license have that info on it? >.>

Though, to be fair, they all might be using ambiguous, genderless pronouns, because that is a thing in Japanese that doesn't exist in English, and the subs just translated it as male to keep the "reveal" under wraps for folks who don't know about Haruka. Canonically, it seems like Haruka herself doesn't seem to care what people label her as, but I think (though I'd have to double-check) that Naoko Takeuchi confirmed Haruka as female. Bear in mind, though, I have absolutely no idea if "transgender" or "genderfluid/genderqueer/agender" were prevalent enough terms for Naoko to know of them when Sailor Moon was created. Naoko herself, to my knowledge, has never made any other comments about Haruka's gender, so by and large the fandom seems to leave it up to personal interpretation, though I do feel like the majority label her as female since she's routinely identified as a "lesbian".

EDIT: Found a link describing Naoko's confirmation of Haruka's gender. Just scroll down to the bit about 1998: http://animecouturejewelry.tumblr.com/post/27136333187/the-anomaly-of-haruka-tenoh
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm in LOVE with the ending.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:

The CG transformations being dropped is all on the director since she specifically asked for 2D versions as part of her agreement with Toei to direct the show.

Source!
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
While it's good that the transformations are not CG anymore, was it really necessary to have them replicate again (with a few differences) the poses and movements of the old series?

Also, no matter the improvements, Kotono should have been taken off the role of Usagi, she's clearly no longer able to perform the role.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Though, to be fair, they all might be using ambiguous, genderless pronouns, because that is a thing in Japanese that doesn't exist in English, and the subs just translated it as male to keep the "reveal" under wraps for folks who don't know about Haruka.

They don't, actually. The Japanese pronoun used... even by Michiru... is 彼. Which is unambiguously a male pronoun. So yeah. Weird. And I feel like any "reveal" is kind of ruined by the fact that she's present in full Sailor Guardian attire in both the opening and ending.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:

They don't, actually. The Japanese pronoun used... even by Michiru... is 彼. Which is unambiguously a male pronoun. So yeah. Weird. And I feel like any "reveal" is kind of ruined by the fact that she's present in full Sailor Guardian attire in both the opening and ending.

:O Wow, thanks for clearing that up! Then, yeah, I have no clue! Maybe they're just sticking to canon. ^^;
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
I love how casually the newscaster reported on people turning into monsters, as well as the complete lack of surprise on the part of Usagi's father.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
It's way too early to jump on the dub bandwagon this soon into the game, but I'll be happy to see the dub cast return for this.

Now if only they'd hurry up with Sailor Moon S.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to wait a few episodes to see if people are still singing the new show's praises, but I'm happy to see it fixed a lot of the first attempt's problems. I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan who's consumed just about everything else from that franchise, and man, I was frustrated and bored by that show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
I think I'm going to wait a few episodes to see if people are still singing the new show's praises, but I'm happy to see it fixed a lot of the first attempt's problems. I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan who's consumed just about everything else from that franchise, and man, I was frustrated and bored by that show.

Me too! I found the final battles to be the most boring parts. The fight with Queen Beryl and Metalia in crystal are so lack luster and anti climatic. The last two episodes of the Dark Kingdom arc in the 90's version are so compelling, dramatic and very well animated. Crystals version might be more true to the manga but that is a lame excuse for bad writing and pacing and sub-par animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20