• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Earns 3.8 Billion Yen in 10 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
Pretty much a guarantee that it'll reach 6 billion now.
Mizmow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote
The visuals are annoyingly similar to 5cm/s - well, both produced by Comix Wave and Shinkai -, I hope the movie does more than just relying on the former's success.

Last edited by Mizmow on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
It doesn't look very similar in terms of tone to 5 Centimeters Per Second (not more than other Shinkai movies, anyway). I imagine this will be more youthful and upbeat tha Shinkai's previous works.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
Mizmow wrote:
The visuals are annoyingly similar to 5cm/s - well, both produced by Comix Wave and Shinkai -, I hope the movie does more than just relying on the former's success.

Blackiris_ wrote:
It doesn't look very similar in terms of tone to 5 Centimeters Per Second (not more than other Shinkai movies, anyway). I imagine this will be more youthful and upbeat tha Shinkai's previous works.

It looks similar due to Shinkai's style with backgrounds, but that's nothing you can really change. If you follow any studio's anime, you'll notice similarities in most of the works.

The biggest difference that I've noticed in the PVs and screens is the movie looks brighter in color. 5 Centimeters was darker in tone as it was playing off the theme of loneliness and distance, while it appears this film is dealing with something that's more upbeat and positive by the end (I haven't seen the film yet so please someone correct me if I'm wrong). It appears the brightness is more similar to Children Who Chase Lost Voices.
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Besides the script then, what does Shinkai actually do regarding the animation if not design and directing? I always thought his films were mostly all under his direction.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
The figures on this movie are proving that Japan has the money and demand for good anime movies that aren't just disney-esque family films. I really hope this leads to more stand alone anime movies like A Silent Voice. And I hope they ALL get released in the US as well. Man, I love movies.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
What was the budget for this film?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
bin1127 wrote:
Besides the script then, what does Shinkai actually do regarding the animation if not design and directing? I always thought his films were mostly all under his direction.

He's listed as the director as well as script writer. There is also an animation director (Andou Masashi) which is not the same thing. Andou has been animation director on some pretty high profile movies; Spirited Away, Paprika, When Marnie Was There, Letter to Momo, plus others.

Shinkai has been getting much better at letting go of different parts of the production which IMHO is a good thing.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:

Most certainly ~3 billion yen. Unless it's a CG anime or Ghibli, it's not going to be that much.
Niyari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
aw reading the synopsis killed my interest. from the poster i thought it was going to be about romance between people in different/alternate universes
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
endallchaos wrote:

Most certainly ~3 billion yen. Unless it's a CG anime or Ghibli, it's not going to be that much.

Isn't that a but high? I imagine normal anime films have a budget between 250 million and 1 billion yen.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
aw reading the synopsis killed my interest. from the poster i thought it was going to be about romance between people in different/alternate universes

I can only recommend that you see this movie anyway.

PS it would be good to get an idea of numbers of tickets sold, mine was a 9am special (1300 yen) on opening day, most adult tickets would be closer to 2000 Yen.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
endallchaos wrote:

Isn't that a but high? I imagine normal anime films have a budget between 250 million and 1 billion yen.

Yeah, that's going to be the range it's in for sure. The highest budget anime film I can think of that isn't Ghibli or full CG, is the 1 billion yen Ghost in the Shell Innocence movie.
I can't remember if any of Shinkai's documentaries mentioned the total budget on something like 5 centimeters, but the ones that I remember off-hand are Paprika, at 300 million yen(I remember Kon saying Perfect Blue was roughly 1/3 of that too), Anthem of the Heart, at 250 million, Ghost in the Shell at 600 million, and I'm not 100% on this one, but someone said Redline was 700 million.

If I had to guess, I would peg this at around 300 million. So yeah, it's making a TON of money right now. Shinkai can easily go retire now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1