• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Uranium Fan Game is Latest Shut Down by Nintendo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, this looks FANTASTIC. Damn you Nintendo - why is the Luigi death stare the only thing acceptable in your fanbase?
deidara517

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
obviously nintendo was upset that a group of fans were able to make a game on par or better then them of their own franchise lol
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate but not surprising.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it's better if they stopped getting C&Ds by abolishing the DMCA for sure!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm a couple of steps away from refusing to buy anymore Nintendo products. Between this and the Metroid thing, they've truly shown what authoritarian monsters they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I watched the trailer a while earlier. The graphics look quite impressive. It's totally unfortunate that Nintendo of America shut the fan project down, but with the debut Pokémon Sun and Moon slowly, but surely drawing nigh, I understand why. At least Uranium is still accessible through mirror links.

Edit: Nintendo of America DIDN'T shut down the project at all, it was voluntarily done by fan-creators of the Uranium Version themselves.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Part of this I imagine is to protect their trademarks, since companies like Nintendo are generally required to respond to infringing uses of their trademarks or risk losing them.

The other part is also to prevent market confusion. Well-intentioned though they may be, fan projects of this scale may improperly represent the Nintendo brand. Not just that, if Nintendo allowed anyone and everyone to make Pokemon games, the market could be saturated by clones to the point of crowding out their own products. Rather than have to manage and filter out all such projects, it's understandable Nintendo would prefer to just shut them down and set the tone that it's not okay to do. Given Nintendo's history, the creators of this project should have known that already.
Digimonlover101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
and I was so close to finishing the game too.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
deidara517 wrote:
obviously nintendo was upset that a group of fans were able to make a game on par or better then them of their own franchise lol

Do people say this out of pure anger or do they genuinely believe these games are anywhere near as good as official games? Because this looks like a 7th grader's art project compared to the official games.

Part of copyright is ensuring the reputation and quality of your brand. Letting people put subpar protects and copies out is damaging to it.

-Stuart Smith

Last edited by Stuart Smith on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Nintyranny should stop this, the NX is coming and if this keeps up, it won't sell at all.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
deidara517 wrote:

Do people say this out of pure anger or do they genuinely believe these games are anywhere near as good as official games? Because this looks like a 7th grader's art project compared to the official games.

Part of copyright is ensuring the reputation and quality of your brand. Letting people put subpar protects and copies out is damaging to it.

-Stuart Smith

Also you can lose your ownership of a copyright if you don't take steps to defend it. So if Nintendo constantly let people make fangames and never said anything, one time when they try and defend it the defendant could argue that Nintendo set their own precedent of not defending in the past.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm a couple of steps away from refusing to buy anymore Nintendo products. Between this and the Metroid thing, they've truly shown what authoritarian monsters they are.

If you think Nintendo is only company that does this, you haven't been paying attention.
Ahmazein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Only reason they did this is because it got so much attention.

I mean, a fan made game, made from scratch and they go after it.

Theres another one like this, Insurgence, and they haven't gone after that.

Lets not forget ALL the rom hacks on the GB/GBC/GBA/DS games, that you know, people actually re-write Nintendos official games.

So only because this has gotten so much attention and media due to it taking so long and the hype for it, is how Nintendo saw it so much and decided to be their true greedy not-so-nice-people they are.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Yeah I don't see what part of this looks better than anything Gamefreak has ever made unless you're a nostlagiaphile even Pokemon Green's sprites. looks better than this Razz

Hoppy800 wrote:
Nintyranny should stop this, the NX is coming and if this keeps up, it won't sell at all.

You said as much about them taking down that fanmade Metroid game despite nothing corroborating it. Once again if people choose not to buy the NX it won't be because Nintendo refuses to let a bunch of people make fan made games based off Nintendo's own properties.

Ahmazein wrote:
Only reason they did this is because it got so much attention.

I mean, a fan made game, made from scratch and they go after it.

Theres another one like this, Insurgence, and they haven't gone after that.

Given how big the Internet is and how most rom hacks and fan made games are not widely publicized like this was?

Ahmazein wrote:
So only because this has gotten so much attention and media due to it taking so long and the hype for it, is how Nintendo saw it so much and decided to be their true greedy not-so-nice-people they are.

Yeah because logistically speaking Nintendo should allow everyone to make games based off of properties they own even when they have an official one coming out within the next two months for absolutely no reason.
ponyclone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
In the end the fans are your only true foundation, you know. you have to treat them good.
Nothing is permanent, couple of big fails and there's no nintendo anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3