• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Thousand Miles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My anime watching has never been social. I've managed to talk my wife into watching maybe a dozen shows over the last nineteen years. Other than that it has always been just me the video player of the time and the TV.

It would be my hypothesis that watching anime is, with fleeting exceptions, a solitary activity for most of us. Perhaps it is because of this that our hobby lends itself so easily to online environments such as forums and social media. Over the last eight years or so, most of the enduring friendships I have formed arose from such environments, and this itself is quite a motivation to continue watching a variety of shows. Having something anime-related to discuss, lightheartedly or otherwise, is quite a boon to one's propensity to gaining acquaintances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess for me watching anime was a social activity only back when I didn't really know what "anime" even was, when Pokémon and Digimon were just "cartoons" for me and my friends. I did have a few good friends in the anime club of my college, but for the most part I actively resisted their attempts at dragging me into it. It was only after I had to transfer to another school in another country for financial reasons that I started checking out the stuff they were talking about (...i-it's not like I was missing them or anything! Wink ). Since then I don't think I've ever actually watched anime with people other than my relatives, although I have gone to anime- and manga-related events, and I've also sung anime songs in karaoke with friends I made in Japan.

WingKing wrote:
Picking an underrated show for me is easy: Kaitou Joker. Even though it's on CR, everyone's basically ignored it for no good reason I can tell other than that it's a so-called "kids" series. No one reviews it, I only know one person who's blogged about it (and even then only once), and only about 2,000 MAL users have even finished watching the first season. And yet, all three seasons have been among the most consistently fun and entertaining shows that I've watched over the past few years. And "consistently" is important. When so many shows are wildly up and down in quality from episode to episode, it's nice to have one show in my lineup that I can reliably count on to deliver a satisfying new episode every week, and Joker almost always does that. No, it's not especially deep or complex - though it does have an overarching plot, and isn't just totally episodic - but I'm not watching it for complexity. I'm watching it as something I can just have fun with - 20 minutes a week to enjoy Joker's capers and adventures and have a few laughs at some of the jokes before I go on with life.
I guess I'm one of those 2000 users, but I had a very specific reason for watching the show, namely the significance of a Russian VA playing a recurring character who is neither explicitly written as nor implied to be a Russian (I guess you could still say she's vaguely implied to be foreign, but the same can be said of most of the show's main characters, none of whom are played by non-Japanese VAs). I thought it was pretty solid children's entertainment, with some jokes and occasional emotional moments that can also be appreciated by adults. I didn't watch the second season as I had a pretty busy season back when it aired, but I may get back to it at some point.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I guess I'm one of those 2000 users, but I had a very specific reason for watching the show, namely the significance of a Russian VA playing a recurring character who is neither explicitly written as nor implied to be a Russian (I guess you could still say she's vaguely implied to be foreign, but the same can be said of most of the show's main characters, none of whom are played by non-Japanese VAs). I thought it was pretty solid children's entertainment, with some jokes and occasional emotional moments that can also be appreciated by adults. I didn't watch the second season as I had a pretty busy season back when it aired, but I may get back to it at some point.

Cool! Always nice to meet another of the chosen few. If you enjoyed Joker's first season then you should definitely go back for at least the second season at some point, since it continues and concludes the first season's main story arc (plus I also thought it was better overall than season 1). And yeah, Lady Doubt was a pretty cool villain. You'll definitely see more of her in season 2.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Anime used to be a solitary hobby for me, though I've always had friends who were slightly above casual viewers, and they'd usually come to me for recommendations, but I'd usually watch anime alone.
At least until I got married. Now watching anime is a couples thing I do with my husband. Every new season is a 2 person party as we load up on booze and pizza and watch a bit of everything and critique what we liked and disliked about each show. It's fun, and I don't miss watching shows alone at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2