• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 19-25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Orange has had pretty bad animation since day 1, really. Episode 8 was particularly bad with its obvious pans, but you can tell it's not just the (lack of) animation doing the work here: 91 Days is hardly well animated and it got #2, and Orange itself was right on the top for a while too.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Animation was never Orange's strong suit, but they again, given its nature as a show where it's mostly just people talking, that's not necessarily a huge issue. Not to say that it couldn't be improved with better character animation, but since it doesn't really have many action scenes, the lack of it doesn't hurt as much. The art on the other hand is not and has not been weak, so while it has not been very animated, at least it does not look bad to look at. It is probably something else than the animation though that is putting it where it is and next week doesn't look like it will be better for it.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
91 Days isn't the worse looking show,but it certainly has a ton of moments where am taken out of it with it's animation. A moment that comes to mind was in episode 3,where Fango's CG car is driving down a street,with none of the crowds or anything else being animated. The show has moments like that going back to episode 1. It has it's good quality moments like with some of the backgrounds.

I wouldn't call the show a train wreck for that (a show like Dimension W would get that).
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I think you can chalk up Orange's decline to two things. As everyone has said the animation has worsened throughout the show's run. It might not be an action show, but I still think it matters. It's a serious story and I keep getting distracted by scenes with barely any movement and off model characters.

The second reason is probably Naho herself. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has steadily grown more annoyed with her. She has the density of a neutron star. I realize she's supposed to be an awkward teenager, but there are limits (unless you're Watamote). If it weren't for her friends she would have done very little so far even though she knows the importance of connecting with Kakeru. Oh and I don't really feel any chemistry between Naho and Kakeru. Maybe that's purposeful, but I don't know why they even "like" each other.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many people regret not voting for other shows, like say, 3rei.. :3
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling next week's rankings will be much, much kinder to Mob Psycho 100 again after jumping back to its usual standard of writing (and justifying some of the problems of the previous episode) and adding yet another candidate to fight scene of the year.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
I wonder how many people regret not voting for other shows, like say, 3rei.. :3

I still wish that 3rei had made it in, especially after the other reviewers I follow completely abandoned their reviews.

A seasonal summation just isn't the same ;_;
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that almost all the people here who are watching 3rei voted for it. It's not really a show where people who watch it are hesitant to see it reviewed. I think there are few if any people of regret not voting for it. I'm am following another site's coverage though.

More broadly speaking, I don't think any of the shows that went unreviewed would be in the wheelhouse of any of the reviewers who don't have heavier review loads. Most of the ones suggested here and previously are more Theron shows and he is reviewing three shows IIRC. Especially in the case of 3rei Theron is probably the only one caught up on it. Qualidea Code is the only other show I'm watching that I would want coverage for at this point but that's the issue I mentioned previously. Not sure there is much to say about Bath Vierge...err Ange Vierge, aside from the fact that the bath scene to non bath scene ratio is largely unchanged from the first episode, which is to say much to most of each episode.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, Qualidea Code ended up being far more interesting than I expected it to be. I'm disappointed that I watched it too late to vote for it on the daily streaming poll and watched Ange Vierge instead (god, that was a mistake, there's five minutes of my life I'll never get back).
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
I thought Qualidea Code would make for interesting reviews from the start if only because it's done by three different authors and commenting on their quirks that bleed through this work would've made for fine topics, but the plot actually being fairly interesting is extra icing on top. That said, I don't think there's quite enough of a following for it to be worth it to ANN.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
I think it's too late to pick up replacements now, but if they did, I'd like to see Servamp, which has overcome its rather generic premise and has steadily become more fun and interesting each week. While it's not AotS material, I think it's flying under the radar of a lot of people who'd really like it if they gave it a few episodes.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is very common for words to be overused, misused and used in place of real criticism. Personally I think we should have certain words tabooed; overrated, generic, trainwreck, nowadays, edgy, pandering, though I haven't heard the first word used as much recently.. I think the people who call them trainwreck may be new to Anime, as anyone can tell you, it is well known for uneven animation, and we all sort of excepted that long ago.

Some people tend to use, for example, the word "generic" to say that a show is bad. Actually, generic means that a show or a character belongs to a genre or a trope. So there is good generic, and bad generic. Or we should say cliche, instead of generic.Haikyuu and MHA are good generic, yet you don´t hear people calling them "generic" because that word is reserved for titles like Fairy Tail

Also, the word edgy really makes you question if it use correctly. We say that is a show that appeals to those who like teen angst, metal, dark things and all, so it has to be bad inmediately. But there´s also good edgy and bad edgy. Berserk and Claymore are good edgy, yet you don´t hear people calling them "edgy" because that word is reserved for titles like Big Order or Taboo Tatto
Velius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad This Art Club Has a Problem! and New Game! moved up the episode list. Maybe they will move up the overall list, they are both great slice-of-life-shows with a good main themes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Some people tend to use, for example, the word "generic" to say that a show is bad. Actually, generic means that a show or a character belongs to a genre or a trope. So there is good generic, and bad generic.

That's not quite what "generic" means when used in a critique. It means something that is just like all the others of its genre, or without qualities that set it apart. So, no, there's not "good generic." The series you put in that category are not generic precisely because they do have qualities that set them apart from their genre.

MarshalBanana wrote:
It is very common for words to be overused, misused and used in place of real criticism. Personally I think we should have certain words tabooed

Like...pacing? ;D ::flees::
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's not quite what "generic" means when used in a critique. It means something that is just like all the others of its genre, or without qualities that set it apart. So, no, there's not "good generic." The series you put in that category are not generic precisely because they do have qualities that set them apart from their genre.

I often see the word "generic" used in criticism to describe something as bland, unambitious, or uninteresting, when it really means something that is formulaic, lacking in originality, and overall playing it safe during production.

But I don't think something with those traits is necessarily bad. You can still succeed in something that's been done to death without being subversive or deconstructive if you can do it really well. A hamburger joint can perform just fine using nothing but universal ingredients if those hamburgers are delicious and well-liked, for instance. And I'm sure everyone has their favorite pizza place that doesn't do anything that a million other pizza places haven't done.

That is, a work can be generic in every sense of the word, but still done with such passion and motivation that it can succeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3