• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 19-25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
If you can detect passion and motivation behind a work, that would be something that sets it apart, making it no longer generic. However, when you can feel those things coming through, it's generally because there are other aspects that demonstrate that passion for the work. Unless you're interviewing the creators, how would you tell they were passionate if everything about the work was just a generic collection of tropes and by-the-book animation and storytelling?

I didn't say generic things couldn't be successful - people seem to like the same things over and over. That's why Hollywood keeps churning out generic movies that can barely be differentiated from each other. But from a critical standpoint just being successful doesn't mean it's good.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Some people tend to use, for example, the word "generic" to say that a show is bad. Actually, generic means that a show or a character belongs to a genre or a trope. So there is good generic, and bad generic. Or we should say cliche, instead of generic.Haikyuu and MHA are good generic, yet you don´t hear people calling them "generic" because that word is reserved for titles like Fairy Tail

I don't agree, per se, that there's "good generic" and "band generic." When used in reviewing a creative work, "generic" most typically equates to "lacking in originality." Now, a series can still be good despite that (though it's not easy!), but in a reviewing context it's definitely a negative.

Quote:
Also, the word edgy really makes you question if it use correctly. We say that is a show that appeals to those who like teen angst, metal, dark things and all, so it has to be bad immediately. But there´s also good edgy and bad edgy. Berserk and Claymore are good edgy, yet you don´t hear people calling them "edgy" because that word is reserved for titles like Big Order or Taboo Tatto

Oh, I'd use the word for certain parts of Claymore (especially some torture scenes), without question. But that's because I interpret (and use) that word as "potentially objectionable to some parts of the audience." For instance, Cross Ange is, in my book one of the edgiest series in recent memory because it has a pretty amazing talent for pissing some people off while still being very entertaining to others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
On the matter of the correct use of edgy, Key's is in line with the dictionary definition, though it can be a stretch under a few of the dictionary definitions. Cross Ange is provocative (i.e how Key defined it and one of the definitions/synonyms I found) but I can't say it is avant-garde (many of the others). The common use of the word these days is more in line with how SkerllyF say people define it. I can't really say which is right per se as while on a technical level the first is correct but language is something that is always changing and if that is what most people mean when they say it, then it is right in a sense as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If you can detect passion and motivation behind a work, that would be something that sets it apart, making it no longer generic. However, when you can feel those things coming through, it's generally because there are other aspects that demonstrate that passion for the work. Unless you're interviewing the creators, how would you tell they were passionate if everything about the work was just a generic collection of tropes and by-the-book animation and storytelling?

I didn't say generic things couldn't be successful - people seem to like the same things over and over. That's why Hollywood keeps churning out generic movies that can barely be differentiated from each other. But from a critical standpoint just being successful doesn't mean it's good.

So do you mean that when it feels like the work has the creator's heart and soul put into it, that becomes something that makes it unique and thus no longer generic?

I think there's no manga or anime series going on right now where this is more easily seen than Black Clover. On one hand, it is incredibly derivative, without much, if anything, in original ideas. On the other hand, people eat it right up, because for the people who like it, they consider it a well-written story. According to your definition of "generic," it'd only be as such to people who dislike it, am I correct?

Something that's by-the-numbers has the advantage of being accessible though.

By the way, there are a lot of Hollywood movie fans out there who think anime series can barely be differentiated from each other. The more of a fan of something you are, the more easily you can discern things apart of whatever you're a fan of, and the inverse is true too.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
By the way, there are a lot of Hollywood movie fans out there who think anime series can barely be differentiated from each other. The more of a fan of something you are, the more easily you can discern things apart of whatever you're a fan of, and the inverse is true too.

But the flip side of that argument is that the more of a fan of something you are, the harder it can sometimes be to see the flaws in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
But the flip side of that argument is that the more of a fan of something you are, the harder it can sometimes be to see the flaws in it.

That's true too. I do notice sometimes, fans will find flaws in whatever they like that no one else seems to have a problem with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3