Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, August 22-28




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
YEAH! ARMED BLUE GUNVOLT DOMINATION! WOOOOOOO! Pretty good start for NMS. KoF had a good start on par with its last release. Nice. Otome > Basara.

*looks at PS4* The time has come. 3DS reached 10 million this week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3377
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how many of those No Man's Sky owners will be seeking refunds over the next week. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
falcon.punch



Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 692
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
KOF Bomba...?

Mario and Sonic is still in sales list because of Mario.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ScruffyKiwi



Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 554
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Are those system sales numbers correct? It seems odd that the PS4 sales were tracking at around 17,000 per month to suddenly drop to 5812.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Sales of Yōkai Watch 3 has taken a huge drop, but seems to still be performing well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NearEasternerJ1



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Posts: 395
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
KOF Bomba...?

Mario and Sonic is still in sales list because of Mario.


Myth: Sonic is unpopular in Japan.

Fact: Sonic has sold millions of copies in Japan. Sonic Adventure has sold close to 500,000 copies in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Are those system sales numbers correct? It seems normal that the PS4 sales were tracking at around 17,000 per month(numbers dipped below 20K after the shortage announcement) to suddenly drop to 5812 due to the fact that Japanese retailers have been letting consumers know for weeks that PS4 shortages are happening and are being phased out due to Sony planning to announce the PS4 Slim(at a lower price than the current PS4) and Neo at their conference(s) in September. This is no different than the PS3 selling 5k or lower per week before the Slim version released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joac101



Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Are those system sales numbers correct? It seems odd that the PS4 sales were tracking at around 17,000 per month to suddenly drop to 5812.

apparently theres ps4 stock issues and plus all the ps4 slim stuffs so yeah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3885
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Fact: Sonic has sold millions of copies in Japan.


[citation needed]

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Sonic Adventure has sold close to 500,000 copies in Japan.


Becomes a bit of a problem when you take those sales numbers and compare it to the N.American sales which are 500,000 more or so greater.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitSnivy



Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Fact: Sonic has sold millions of copies in Japan.


[citation needed]

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Sonic Adventure has sold close to 500,000 copies in Japan.


Becomes a bit of a problem when you take those sales numbers and compare it to the N.American sales which are 500,000 more or so greater.



First off, VGsales aren't usually 'that' accurate.
Actually, they're pretty inaccurate for the most part.

Secondly, I don't think comparing a vastly smaller area like Japan to N. America is very fair when involving sales.
Especially given the fact that 500'000 actually isn't all 'that' bad.
Even for Sonic in Japan.

SA2 was generally regarded as one of the most popular Sonic games in America anyway, so there has to be a line drawn in how we can compare the 2 in sales.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3885
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
LegitSnivy wrote:
First off, VGsales aren't usually 'that' accurate.


They're not that inaccurate either.

LegitSnivy wrote:
Secondly, I don't think comparing a vastly smaller area like Japan to N. America is very fair when involving sales.


Japan's size has nothing to do with this supposed unfair comparison to America though.

LegitSnivy wrote:
Especially given the fact that 500'000 actually isn't all 'that' bad.Even for Sonic in Japan.


It isn't but when Sonic is essentially selling more in other countries it becomes food for thought. Especially when sales like that would more likely than not leave any other IP twisting in the wind in any other market. There's a reason Vanquish 2 and No More Heroes 3 don't exist..


LegitSnivy wrote:
SA2 was generally regarded as one of the most popular Sonic games in America anyway, so there has to be a line drawn in how we can compare the 2 in sales.


Compare what exactly? Easterner was using SA1 as the basis of his argument and even if we factor in SA2 it's sales in Japan from what I've gleamed is still not that much better in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group