• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thirty Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1986

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
And of course 1986 was the year Jojo's Bizarre Adventure started (December of 1986 to be precise) and strangely enough was also the year that Dragon Quest, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and Castlevania were released in Japan. Good times
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Five Star Stories also started in 1986. Good times indeed. Longest running joke ever, for a start.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Ialdaboth wrote:
Great article, Daryl. And pretty devastating - another nail on the coffin of what passes as an anime industry in Japan nowadays.

I think the response from most people here has shown you can enjoy the past without disparaging the present. How about instead of cheap insults, you make a convincing case that the industry is so much worse than it was in the 80's.

I'm insulting nobody, just stating an objective fact that is pretty obvious to anybody with a passing knowledge of Japanese economic and demographic problems, and how it has impacted local pop culture the past twenty years. The claim that artistic subjectivity is absolute has its limits; if you think that the 2016 production compares favorably to all the titles cited in this article, I too don't think we have much to converse about in a positive manner.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
It is neither an objective fact or obvious that anime is dead as you claim. I have never claimed that recent years are better than 1986, let alone 2016. And while economic and demographic problems have perhaps changed the spirit of anime, that does not necessarily make it dead. Insult is not exactly the word I was looking for. My point with that is that it is easy to claim anime is dead, but it is not easy to prove that, which you did not and have not done. I do not think that it is unreasonable to say that there are at least some worthy anime made in the last few years. If that is a bridge too far then I agree we don't have much positive to speak of.
Richard in LV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Man.. this article was AWESOME and AMAZING! It brought back all those memories that my brother from another mother, Duane, and I shared.

Yes... this was what it was all about. Being a mecha fan, we dived into B-Club issues whenever they turned up on the local comic book shop (named Enterprise 1701 for YEARS! Miss that place) and drooled over the photos and the art stats that were treasures held there in.

All those wonderful shows... Heavy Metal L.Gaim, Mirai Ketsatsu Urashiman, Akai Kodan Zillion, Dorvak, Of course Gundam (who wasn't?), Votoms, Vifam, Gian Gorg... to name countless others. Some AMAZING, some... not so much. However we devoured it all and relished in it... not to claim "LOOK WHAT WE KNOW" but to simply go "LOOK WHAT WE'VE SEEN!" Man this was the time to be alive!!! The late 80's and everything.

So much innovation back then to be sure... not to malign what we have today. It all comes in waves... in 30 years... a lot of shows might well be forgotten until someone else writes a post like the one this thread is based on!!!!

I'll be 49 years old this year... and Duane turned 51... he still builds Gunpla and I still regularly search Rightstuf and other sites as our precious 80's/90's are being restored to us Very Happy (Hey... the joys of this is I now have my Gundam, Zeta, ZZ and working on my Victory Gundam on BluRay).

While we've come so far with all the new stuff... each to own tastes (Tokyo Ghoul... not me but doesnt mean it's not bad, PsychoPass, Guilty Crown, Broken Blade, Evangelion in all it's myriad forms, Eureka Seven, Rahxephon, and the list goes on and on...

It's damn nice to remember the past and where it all comes from.. and farther back beyond my and my family's time Smile

Happy Labor Day all! Sorry if this was too long!!!!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Glad you mentioned Windaria, Dayrl, as most people have never heard of Yuyama despite him directing one of the most influential anime series for fans' childhoods. 85 and 86 are where it's apparent that budgets are skyrocketing, leading to quite a good number of years for people who just love that 80s aesthetic. 88s the big year for mecha, so a nice recap of that along with, hopefully, more blurays of OVAs, would be nice..., which is something I noticed about Daryl's list, outside of the mainstream Gundam and Ghibli, only Arion and Megazone 23 have had a proper restoration so far.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
I mentioned this already on the AWO site on the post about your Otakon sessions, but I remember reading about Arion in that "Animag" magazine that Trish Ledoux and co. put out in the late 80s, and while they said it plays very fast and loose with genuine mythology, it looked really cool and I've always hoped someone would pick it up and make it available here in some form.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I mentioned this already on the AWO site on the post about your Otakon sessions, but I remember reading about Arion in that "Animag" magazine that Trish Ledoux and co. put out in the late 80s, and while they said it plays very fast and loose with genuine mythology, it looked really cool and I've always hoped someone would pick it up and make it available here in some form.

I have Arion in Japanese laserdisc. Always wished it came out subbed or even dubbed in English.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Daryl! You gave me some ideas of what to re-watch this past holiday weekend. It was nice to check out Gall Force - Eternal Story and MegaZone 23 part 2 again. Maybe I'll finally check out part 3 . . .
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Bug-tte Honey a.k.a. Honey Bee in Toycomland!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Just finished reading the article this morning. Just got back from vacation and there was so much to catch up on.

The 80's for me was a great moment getting into anime. Though my introduction goes back earlier than that.

It was during my HS years that I had the chance to experience many of these titles. Most through anime clubs that met every other weekend on St Marks in NYC. The old CFO (Cartoon Fantasy Organisation) which Fred Patten mentions in is book "Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews" which I had the pleasure of finally reading.

While the club was made up of old timers who grew up watching all sorts of animation, SF, etc... throughout their youth it was welcomed to anyone (who could sit from 11am to 5:30pm) who had an interest in anime. Artbook and model sellers, as well as "tape traders". This was how many got their anime. Usually the way it worked is someone owned the original and if you wanted a copy, you had to provide something they didn't have. If you didn't have anything then a HQ VHS tape would do. That was your payment. The person who often provided OVAs for the club usually brought stuff back from Japan or ordered stuff through someone (you knew) who lived there and they shipped it to you. Later fans would visit the local Japanese rental stores (one that was here in NYC was Tokyo Video that has been gone for YEARS). Pay some money to rent a video, run it off at home. New videos copies like OVAs provided by them, $20. I paid $20 just to have 'Dangaioh'. Then they started charging people a $15 deposit to rent. But this only applied to "gaijins". LOL. Why? Because too many times non-Japanese people would borrow stuff at normal price and not bring it back. So for every day late, they deduct a $1. Not to mention they had problems with thieves too. And if they had problems with you, you were BANNED permanently. Not to mention end up on the wall of shame. And I knew of such a person personally, who was at first wholly trusted but later burned his bridges.

Attendees paid $3 to get in. Guy that worked the area provided burgers for a fair price for lunch. Or you could go out and get your own lunch when they broke for intermission. You were treated to L-Gaim during the early part of the day and Z Gundam and Orguss toward the end of the day. Every now and again someone would bring a "new" feature to play. An OVA as you will. The first OVA featured (that I saw) was Prefectural Earth Defense Force. It became my friend's favorite anime. The 2nd feature presented was 'Dallos'. The 3rd would be Iczer-1. While that came out in '85, it was still mentioned in the '1986 issue of 'OUT magazine (which I collected over the years) because the sequel was expected in 86. With the final in 87. So the DVD wouldn't have been been available to purchase until 87 and 88 respectively. Which is when I saw them. Ai City was another, and you have to admit the music is definitely part of that era. Didn't know that this was one of Koichi Mashimo's early works. Hell, they gotta start somewhere. Hell even Anno worked with Cream Lemon. The majority of these artists and directors have.

Project A-ko was the one anime that people passed around. And everyone talked about the end secret. There wasn't a person I didn't know that didn't have a copy of Project-Ako. I never knew that it had "adult" roots. Cream Lemon being one connection.

I remember seeing Megazone 23, but didn't see part II until years later. I remember the reaction to some who started with the first part. "Why did they have to change it!!" You have to admit that was a huge change. You go from Hirano to Umetsu. Which was the first time I know his art style but not his name. One interesting thing about part 2, in one of the magazines I own that did a montage on the sex scene between Shogo and Yui. Apparently there was extra footage that didn't make it into the final cut. I finally had the opportunity to watch all 3 films when I recommended them for our collection. And for whatever reason some animation scenes that probably only lasted a few minutes weren't there. I watched for those scenes and was kind of surprised they might have been omitted. This was definitely Umetsu type of branding.

Time Stranger, this was title I came across in a old anime magazine I owned. I knew I'd never see it. Then I'd see Time Stranger: Goshogun Etranger. Then I found myself thinking back to the other Time Stranger. I was like, "There are two titles with the same title?"

When we started getting Moto Hagio's work and I found myself looking back in that magazine I was surprised that I had been looking at her designs all that time. But again that's a film we'd never see.

Arion another great work that needs to be seen. And has only been available through torrents. I saw this years ago at the club. But it's one of those titles that sits in that pile of titles that needs exposure. Like Macross: Do You remember Love?

I didn't know that Silver Fang: Shooting Star Gin, came out during 86. I had the chance of seeing it through torrents and I was like, OMG!! Wild dogs fighting the war against the bears. One thing I found interesting is that this series was pretty popular in the Netherlands. I would love to see this released on DVD. I'd buy it. But again it's another niche title that would probably require a crowfunder to see if anyone would bite.

There are so many films that haven't made it stateside. This would be a great job for Discotek to pick up these titles. Gal Force does need a new release. I've never seen that series. I always wanted to back then but never got around to it. Then I lost interest. Maison Ikkoku, and Urusei Yatsura. But hopefully some of these lost titles will get a second life. Some of them I thought were available like Ai City, but apparently it's not the case. But one can dream can't they.

This was a fun column. I brings back a lot of found memories. Which I'm implementing here at the job. Now students have access to some of the older titles. Which I'm trying to make happen. I hope there is another column like this going down the years but I guess 1996 would be next.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Coincidentally, I just watched Maris the Chojo for the first time last weekend (had never heard of it before). I love how the dub actors seem to be changing accents almost every line. I don't think I've ever seen animated outtakes before! Did you catch Maris's cameo in Urusei Yatsura 3: Remember My Love? I'd seen that movie several times before but never recognized the character until now!

Wow...! I have never once heard anybody talk about (or write about) Toki no Tabibito: Time Stranger before. I was certain that I was the only English speaking person to have heard of that movie (although I guess that's silly because I believe fansubs do exist). I really don't remember how I found out about it. I must of seen some cuts of the amazing opening scene animation on Youtube or something (or maybe on cruchyroll back when it was a piracy site). Anyway, it immediately convinced me to by the import DVD.

Produced by Rintaro, a great story of some high school kids (and their blatantly Hitler-mustached teacher) who got on a time travel adventure. This movie asks the typical questions about time travel: Would you kill Hitler? Or in this case, would you save a ruthless dictator from his rightful death in history if it could prevent the future from being destroyed in a nuclear holocaust.

They do a pretty incredible rendition of the Battle of Sekigahara, too. Good English vocal theme songs too.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the article on anime from 1986. I really loved that photo of the pinball machine with "Thundercats" on it. I hope that it and "Silverhawks" showed up in Japan. I wonder what they would have thought of it. Although I like seeing Korean studios help out with American cartoons,I'd love to see Japanese studios doing the same thing like they did in the 80's. I hope that time comes again because I've often thought that them collaborating with American animation studios gave anime an exposure it might not have had otherwise,and I'm grateful for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5