• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osamu Akimoto's Kochikame Manga Ends on September 17 After 40 Years of Serialization

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
First Naruto, Bleach and Nisekoi - Now Kochikame...
Gintama & Toriko are also heading towards their conclusion with a fast pace.

Really seems like the end of an era.

Only One Piece remains as jumps new flagship.

Some of them seem to be ending due to demands from higher-ups, but it seems just as many are ending voluntarily.

Something I noticed is that a lot of manga began between 1998 and 2002. I think that was around the end of the previous era. Let's hope we get some really good manga from tomorrow's people too, because the way I see it, the end of an era is the beginning of another.

WANNFH wrote:
Oh God, even the legend is ended. The sunset era of Jump seems really near - with the exception of HiatusxHiatus, One Piece, Gintama (which is really close to ending) and Toriko (which is hanged on it) all other works is completely from 2010's era and even don't have a five years of serialization.

Some of the new ones have already established themselves in quality though, like My Hero Academia, The Promised Neverland, World Trigger, and Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma. And Black Clover is bringing in plenty of new readers.

TrueZangetsu wrote:
Araki had never talked specifically about this matter but I doubt he will ever stop doing Jojo while he's alive. It really seems to be his life purpose

I actually have a hunch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure will end on Part 10. Part 7 combines Parts 1 and 2, Part 8 combines Parts 3 and 4, and I will guess Part 9 will combine Parts 5 and 6, and Part 10 will be a culmination of all previous parts (and be as long as Araki wants it to be).
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Tropical Blitz wrote:
theNightster wrote:
it's a Shonen Jump killing spree this year, either Toriko or Gintama are next.

Number of series that concluded this year: 6

Number of series that concluded in 2015: 13

Number of series that concluded in 2014: 10

Some "killing spree" this is. Even with Gintama or Toriko ending, it still falls short of the last years manga that came to an end.

Kind of shocking how little people know of how many manga Jump eats in a single year.

Aye, but how many of those series cancelled in 2014 and 2015 where short lived? Gakkyu Hotai, Kagamigami, Cyborg Roggy, E-Robot, Hi-Fi Clusters, Sporting Salt, Table Tennis, Iron Knight, Stealth Symphony, Battle Satellite etc etc, all contribute to thise statistics you list, all canned in short periods of time. Of '14 and '15 the only long running series to end where (I think) Ass Class and Naruto.

So, in terms of long running series in 2016, we've lost Nisekoi, Bleach, Gintama, Toriko, and the oldest of them all, Kochikami.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought it would run forever, like Doraemon.

But at least it ends because his author wants to. And at least in this part of the world we could watch (part of) the anime. Thanks you for everything, Akimoto-sensei!
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I thought it would run forever, like Doraemon.

But at least it ends because his author wants to. And at least in this part of the world we could watch (part of) the anime. Thanks you for everything, Akimoto-sensei!

Doraemon ended 20 years ago as a manga. It's the anime franchise which has kept on going.
Tropical Blitz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Tropical Blitz wrote:
theNightster wrote:

Some "killing spree" this is. Even with Gintama or Toriko ending, it still falls short of the last years manga that came to an end.

Kind of shocking how little people know of how many manga Jump eats in a single year.

Aye, but how many of those series cancelled in 2014 and 2015 where short lived? Gakkyu Hotai, Kagamigami, Cyborg Roggy, E-Robot, Hi-Fi Clusters, Sporting Salt, Table Tennis, Iron Knight, Stealth Symphony, Battle Satellite etc etc, all contribute to thise statistics you list, all canned in short periods of time. Of '14 and '15 the only long running series to end where (I think) Ass Class and Naruto.

So, in terms of long running series in 2016, we've lost Nisekoi, Bleach, Gintama, Toriko, and the oldest of them all, Kochikami.

To be sure, but that is not what the original poster or the people going on about a killing spree of a purge in Jump are talking about. If the discussion was about how long runners are coming to an end recently, and how it would change the magazine, it would be one thing, but the idea there is a cleansing of old manga for new ones in Jump is a little disingenuous. Jump had always been going through a lot of manga serialisation through its history, and had been ending manga long or short running always.

Looking at the last 10 years (2005 to 2015), Shonen Jump had been debuting on average 12 to 13 new manga each year (2005, 2010 and 2014 being outliers on both extremes). To do so, many manga, both short lived and long running, have to come to an end in order for Jump to introduce new series.

This year, 2016, had thus far only had 6 manga come to an end. Sure, many are long running (Kochikami, Nisekoi and Bleach) and one was successful enough to be notable as well (Assassination Classroom, which came to an end this year, not '15). But even then, this year is falling behind when compared to the past decade alone.

In terms of long runners leaving the magazine, it is sad for it to happen but it is simply inevitable given how many of them had given clear indication they would come to an end this year (Nisekoi and Assassination Classroom giving the biggest clues). Kochikami is a surprise, but Akimoto's comments makes it clear he thinks his is a good time to quit doing the longest running manga in history, and take a well deserved rest.

Bleach's case it probably the oddest, because anyone looking at it objectively could tell it was going to end at the 15th anniversary, but reading the story it seemed like it had some more to go before coming to the ending it did. Whether it was because Kubo was just a poor planner and couldn't wrap things up in sufficiently (given the state of the story, it wouldn't surprise me to learn he botched the timing of the ending) or he was having an episode similar to Togashi, Takei or Takahashi had during YYH/Shaman King/Yu-Gi-Oh, we might not know, unless he says so in an afterward in the final volume.

So yeah, that would affect the magazines stables a lot, and cause major shifts in what will attract people to it now. But that doesn't make what's happening a killing spree or a purge or anything of the sort.

Manga end in Jump so new manga starts in it, it has been that way for decades. Just because some of those long running manga fans haven't noticed the going on's in the magazine until this year doesn't mean it's history should be ignored.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The discussion got me curious, so I decided to go through JUMP's last 10 years to see how many long-running (read: ran for over 2 years without pause or hiatus) ended each year. As it turns out, it's more common than I think people remember. Between 2007 and 2016, there were only 3 years where no long-runners got the ax - 2010, 2011, and 2015.

2007:
Mr. Fullswing
Death Note

2008:
Prince of Tennis (later continued in Jump Square as New Prince of Tennis)
Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation

2009:
Eyeshiled 21
D.Gray-man
Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro
To-Love-Ru (continued in Jump Square as To-Love-Ru Darkness)

2012:
Bakuman
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan

2013:
Sket Dance
Medaka Box

2014:
Naruto
Kuroko no Basuke
Beelzebub

and then 2016 with 4 series ending (Toriko and Gintama may be ending soon, but timing-wise it doesn't look likely to be this year. It's on the high end in terms of numbers, but not unprecedented. I think a part of this fervor to claim Shueisha are cleaning their slate comes from Bleach's rather abrupt feeling finale and how it ended within an issue of another (admittedly shorter) long-runner.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Congratulations to Mr. Akimoto, that's a heck of a feat of persistence.

Gundam didn't even exist yet when this started.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Damn, I had just assumed that this would end only with the author's death (I'm assuming others had also assumed that too). I also can't imagine reading a 200 volume manga ever (yes, I've read probably thousands of volumes, but I can't imagine them all being the same series).

I'm guessing that Kankichi will still be playable in tons of future SJ games in the future though.

Assuming Shueisha can get the author to OK the use of Ryotsu for those future titles (unless they own the character outright then I guess they could do whatever they want).

thekingsdinner wrote:
Damn, 40 years! Even infinite manga's like Kochikame really do come to an end some day. All of these shounen titles have been ending left to right as of late, it's honestly kind of sad.

Unless you're a big newspaper syndicate and you're still employing someone to hash out Popeye strips for the 6 remaining papers in the world.

trilaan wrote:
The end of an era...I don't suppose this could mean a licensing of, if not the manga because, OMG, then at least the anime + movies? Probably not. I can hope, though.

Some countries like Spain got pretty lucky with the anime series being aired at all. I once said to some pals of mine the best I would've loved to have seen out of this was a "Best of" compiled release of the manga if it's possible to put out only a small number of volumes devoted to themes and certain aspects of KochiKame that might be palatable to an international audience. These chapters are pretty episodic/self-contained for the most part and putting together such a release may not be so bad aside from picking what would be considered the best stories to include (like the old Mad Magazine paperbacks of old).

MischievousMelody wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
Wait, what is this madness?
Next thing you know, Sazae-san will end.

It already did. The manga did, anyway.

Let's see how long before Fuji TV or Eiken finally has it with the show (assuming it can make it to the big 5-0 in a few years).

malvarez1 wrote:
Wow, that's crazy. Kochikame has always been a constant. Surreal to see it go.

For those who don't know, Kochikame actually currently holds the record for the manga series with the most volumes, with 200. A manga called Dokaben is in second with 193 volumes, and Golgo 13 is third with 181 volumes.

Shouldn't be that hard for Golgo 13 to break that record if they can churn out another 20 volumes at their leisure.

Shinuki wrote:
People here are forgetting or not even known, Cooking Papa, a slice of life and cooking manga that is published in Morning (Same magazine of Vagabond) since 1984 and has 137 volumes released until now, is even older than Hajime and Jojo.

I'd probably feel like such an outsider if I said I saw episodes of this series anime version dubbed in Arabic once on TV, but I had!

doomydoomdoom wrote:
I'm actually surprised that it ended so suddenly, though not that Akimoto is starting a new series instead of retiring; he's not that old. It's entirely possible that the new suit at Jump is cutting series. Who knows.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a classic d--kmove by the higher ups at the company and Akimoto is simply leaving the series gracefully than try to fight the opposition. I'm sure they have reasons for downsizing the costs.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Tropical Blitz wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:
Tropical Blitz wrote:
theNightster wrote:

To be sure, but that is not what the original poster or the people going on about a killing spree of a purge in Jump are talking about. If the discussion was about how long runners are coming to an end recently, and how it would change the magazine, it would be one thing, but the idea there is a cleansing of old manga for new ones in Jump is a little disingenuous. Jump had always been going through a lot of manga serialisation through its history, and had been ending manga long or short running always.

Looking at the last 10 years (2005 to 2015), Shonen Jump had been debuting on average 12 to 13 new manga each year (2005, 2010 and 2014 being outliers on both extremes). To do so, many manga, both short lived and long running, have to come to an end in order for Jump to introduce new series.

This year, 2016, had thus far only had 6 manga come to an end. Sure, many are long running (Kochikami, Nisekoi and Bleach) and one was successful enough to be notable as well (Assassination Classroom, which came to an end this year, not '15). But even then, this year is falling behind when compared to the past decade alone.

In terms of long runners leaving the magazine, it is sad for it to happen but it is simply inevitable given how many of them had given clear indication they would come to an end this year (Nisekoi and Assassination Classroom giving the biggest clues). Kochikami is a surprise, but Akimoto's comments makes it clear he thinks his is a good time to quit doing the longest running manga in history, and take a well deserved rest.

Bleach's case it probably the oddest, because anyone looking at it objectively could tell it was going to end at the 15th anniversary, but reading the story it seemed like it had some more to go before coming to the ending it did. Whether it was because Kubo was just a poor planner and couldn't wrap things up in sufficiently (given the state of the story, it wouldn't surprise me to learn he botched the timing of the ending) or he was having an episode similar to Togashi, Takei or Takahashi had during YYH/Shaman King/Yu-Gi-Oh, we might not know, unless he says so in an afterward in the final volume.

So yeah, that would affect the magazines stables a lot, and cause major shifts in what will attract people to it now. But that doesn't make what's happening a killing spree or a purge or anything of the sort.

Manga end in Jump so new manga starts in it, it has been that way for decades. Just because some of those long running manga fans haven't noticed the going on's in the magazine until this year doesn't mean it's history should be ignored.
my original comment was joke
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
And yet Hajime no Ippo is still going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4