• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Passage (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Nice to see that Kagura didn't just bear Majime's numerous children and become a housewife, but actually owns the restaurant now, though.

Kagura and Majime are doing their part for Japan's declining birthrate. I wondered about children once it was revealed they were married, but I thought that perhaps only a few years had passed. Kagura must be in her mid-to-late thirties by now so the clock is ticking. They seem like the kind of people who would want to have children despite Kagura's career. I was a bit surprised to see they hadn't.

(I'm assuming they're childless from their dinner together and that scene in the restaurant after the party had left. They didn't appear to feel the need to hurry home and look after the little ones.)

I like the new girl a lot. Still you wonder why she hadn't realized what a come-down being transferred from a fashion magazine to a dictionary department would be. Honestly I find it hard to imagine Kishibe was spending her time covering runways, and while her taste in office garb is solidly professional, it's pretty conventional. I expected her to have been more like a mid-level editor in one of the book-publishing divisions.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Merida wrote:
Nice to see that Kagura didn't just bear Majime's numerous children and become a housewife, but actually owns the restaurant now, though.

Kagura and Majime are doing their part for Japan's declining birthrate.

Well, declining birthrate or not, some people simply don't want - or can't, in some cases - have children...

Quote:
Kagura must be in her mid-to-late thirties by now so the clock is ticking. They seem like the kind of people who would want to have children despite Kagura's career

And what exactly makes you think so?

I don't know how old Kagura is supposed to be or whether or not "her clock is ticking", but she seemed to love her job very much and even in this day and age having kids seems to mean the end of their career for a lot of Japanese women. So that was the main reason for my comment. If we find out in the next epieosde that they have kids in spite of her managing the restaurant, more power to her...
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
This episode is why I love Fune o Amu so much. Compared to other series, the stakes here are pretty low. Regardless I still feel the tension because of how well this show establishes the earnest drive the characters put into their work. Their passion for the book, fitting in, or making paper all feel real. I find my self invested in every aspect of this story.

It's kind of sad seeing this show fly under the radar. An absolute pleasure to watch, hopefully more people can enjoy it too.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
It's kind of sad seeing this show fly under the radar. An absolute pleasure to watch, hopefully more people can enjoy it too.

I think that's partially due to Amazon US not streaming it on their site. Or at least it wasn't yet the last time I heard.

Matsumoto sensei seems ready to kick the bucket. >__< I liked the C part at the end, LoL.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I wonder how many times poor paper-boy had to reformulate to get it right. Smile At least he got a date out of it. I really like him, so I hope that goes well.

I also liked how they tied it all up with the "inebriated" ribbon.

That's quite a setback. I wish they'd done some more onscreen subs, since I'm not sure which word is missing. I only know my eyes keyed in on the kanji for "death" in the first shot and "blood" when she showed him the problem, which was pretty ominous before we even found out what was alarming her so.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's quite a setback. I wish they'd done some more onscreen subs, since I'm not sure which word is missing.

You know how they always have a word and its definition at the end of the episode? It was the word shown at the end of this episode: "chishio."

Kishibe technically said, "'Chishio' is missing," but the subs translated it as "a word is missing" or something like that.

I wonder if the word was missing from the beginning. If it was then they had 3 chances to pick up on it, right?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Interesting. It's translated as "course" which to me means a path to follow, but the dictionaries I looked up 血潮 in say " (n) (1) blood spilt from the body; (2) blood circulating within the body (often as a metaphor for strong emotion or hot-bloodedness)" Both of those definitions sound more applicable than "course," which only really fits as a verb. Or in its nautical meaning of a sail. Wink Maybe "passion" would be a better translation?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Interesting. It's translated as "course" which to me means a path to follow, but the dictionaries I looked up 血潮 in say " (n) (1) blood spilt from the body; (2) blood circulating within the body (often as a metaphor for strong emotion or hot-bloodedness)" Both of those definitions sound more applicable than "course," which only really fits as a verb. Or in its nautical meaning of a sail. Wink Maybe "passion" would be a better translation?

Yeah, I wasn't too sure with their chosen definition either based on the ones that showed up when I looked up the word.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, I'm guessing they were thinking of the verb "to course" in reference to blood, which isn't really a good equivalent since 血潮 doesn't appear to function as a verb. Though the only other place where I remember having seen/heard this word is the Japanese version of Do You Hear The People Sing (see if you can spot Aya Hirano in the choir Smile ), where it's used in the loose translation of the line "The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of France". The primary meaning of 潮 is "tide" and 血潮 therefore gave me an image similar to "bloodbath", so I wasn't even aware that it doesn't necessarily refer to blood outside the body. Now that I've looked into it, 潮 can also mean "current", so I guess it makes sense for it to also mean circulating blood, while the "tide" image can also be suggestive of rising emotion.

Have I mentioned that this is totally my kind of show? Very Happy

crosswithyou wrote:
I wonder if the word was missing from the beginning. If it was then they had 3 chances to pick up on it, right?
According to the list there were meant to be two words pronounced "chishio" right next to each other: 千入 ("(n,arch) soaking in dye innumerable times") and 血潮・血汐 (the meaning of 汐 is pretty much identical to that of 潮, but the former contains the character for "evening", while the latter has the one for "morning", so they can be used to specify evening or morning tides, respectively). Apparently whoever compiled that page didn't notice the latter in the list. Neither word is used very commonly, so it's not surprising they hadn't picked up on it (although it is kind of weird that it's the less obscure one that they ended up leaving out).
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
How am I going to spend my Thursday nights next month? I love to bookend the evening starting with Miss Bernard and ending on the wonderful Passage.

So another great episode where this show perfectly conveys what it feels like to dedicate yourself to a project that you believe in. That moment when the female intern excitedly half squeals but stops herself because she doesn't want to jinx stood out as such a real moment. Their excitement during the final checks was palpable.

A couple of scenes caught me off guard. Nishioka being responsible for the mini Dictionary segments and mascots was very touching. Honestly I should have seen that coming. The ending where it looks like the director has passed on and the cute after credits of grandma taking the picture was bitter sweet.

I hope the Anime gods of fortune bless us with a much deserved OVA to cover the time jump. This show is something special. Bravo to the creators for making such a genuine show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
I hope the Anime gods of fortune bless us with a much deserved OVA to cover the time jump.

Amen to that. I still feel like it was very odd to set up all these interesting relationships developing and then drop them like a hot potato. We still don't even know if Nishioka and his girlfriend are still together or not. It would be nice to fill in the gaps.

For a series with the theme of communication, they've kind of stopped communicating since the time jump. It's as if Haikyuu!! suddenly became a show about volleyball and not about Hinata and Kageyama and their growth, and all we got to see was step by step how to play the game and how the equipment is made. It's still interesting but it doesn't exactly engage you on an emotional level.
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
Since there are only 11 episodes I can't find myself holding the time jump against them. Everything that we've seen, I feel was handled incredibly well and my enjoyment hasn't been affected. I'm still as invested as I was in the beginning.

On the bright side Nishioka was sporting a ring. So maybe him and his lady got hitched.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
Because there were so many wordless scenes in this eppie, the bgm really jumped out in a good way. I don't often ponder on how it would be nice to have the ost for a show, but I would love this one.

I have a hard time believing the dictionary doesn't exist in electronic form somewhere in the time frame we are talking about, which would have obviated the needed of a physical check on words, but whatever.

@ dash56 - what indication was there that Matsumoto had croaked? That blew by me. That would suck. I wanted the old fellah to hold a physical copy of The Great Passage in his wizened hands before shuffling off his mortal coil.

Yes, this has been a great title. It's exactly what I want to see more of: anime that deals with adults doing adult things.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like "chishio" somehow got dropped on the latest draft.

Nice to see Nishioka got married. Very subtle the way they handled it. And just when I thought that we hadn't seen Kaguya in a while, she makes a short appearance.

Hang in there Matsumoto sensei!!!
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood- Just an assumption on my part. The way they handled the final scene with a picture of Matsumoto and his wife. I felt like it was framed in a solemn tone compared to the energy of the previous scene when they finally finished.

Plus it kinda fits with the grandma. We are lead to believe she passed on following the time skip with just a picture and then it's confirmed with the shrine and the end scene this episode. Or I could be reading way too much into this.

So far this show has been a little subtle with how they give out information. Granny's picture, wedding bands, and casually mentioning time skip. There's very little exposition on character beats like "I can't believe we're married" or "I sure miss Granny, I can't believe she died" or "Hey husband/wife".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8