• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Director Yamakan Says He Envies Makoto Shinkai's your name. Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
I've heard good things about his latest and am looking forward to seeing it, but I've seen the rest of Shinkai's films and the only other I'd consider both inimitable and good would be Garden of Words. Some like 5cm or Voices have arresting emotional content (and pretty pictures) but don't gel into a cohesive work. Others are overall lukewarm or, in the case of Place, just awful and messy. I haven't actually seen Fractale, but Senyuu and Wake Up, Girls! I have and they easily stand above all but Garden of Words for me.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
"Whatever people have to say about it, they all seem to be saying it's a mess." is a terrible mis-translation here.

Here's the line from the blog:

何書いてもめちゃくちゃ言われるだろうねこれ。

This means (in this context), "People are gonna say all kinds of things (to me), no matter what I write, I bet". I.e. he's prefacing his comments with a sort of self-defacing statement. A less literal translation is "people are gonna bitch at me no matter what I post, but", is kind of what he's getting at.
There's a whole bunch of mistakes with the original translation: missing the "darou ne" which puts the entire sentence as a supposition, mistranslation "mechakucha" as "a mess" when in this usage it's just a slang emphasizer that means "a lot"/"a ton"/"a bunch", and also missing that iwareru is passive causative so referring to something that is done TO the speaker, in this case Yamakan.

looking at some of the responses on 2chan, like "あれ?いつもの炎上商法はどうした?"
"Wait, what happened to your usual flamebait ways"?
people seem to also think his positive response as opposed to being critical as usual is somewhat unusual for him (but that's why he said that no matter what his commentary people would surely still bitch at him about it).

Thank you so much for this clarification! I went to the blog and tried to translate it myself, because I figured it had to be a mistranslation, but I'm just not quite at that level. That makes a lot more sense.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
jymmy, another thing is that [/i]Fractale[/i] flopped in Japan because, according to the Anime DVD/BD Sales in Japan site, it avg. 705 units/vol.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Yes, everyone knows that. What's your point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2