• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
As someone who lives in the US, this sounds pretty great to me. Maybe licensors in other countries will see how this plays out and look into partnerships in the future.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I am cool if this benefits Crunchyroll, Funimation and the N.A. industry as a whole. I am content paying for subscriptions to both services, but if CR gets a lot of desirable content from Funimation, I might just pay for CR.

I also smell monopoly, but I can tolerate it if it can prevent "outsiders" like Netflix and Amazon from taking over an industry that they might not how to correctly handle.

And I wonder if this further puts Sentai at a disadvantage in terms of acquiring new shows.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
addiemon wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Unless this partnership means that Funi titles will be available in CR for Latin America (which I'm seriously seriously hoping will be the case), then yeah, you'll still hear complaints from people here in the south about it. And at least for now, they aren't.

Well, that can't happen for any title that funi doesn't have LATAM rights for in the first place. Might be doable for the titles they do have the rights for though.

The thing here is that it is well known that Funi has the rights for the entire American continent for pretty much everything in their catalog. That's the reason CR doesn't get those titles over here, because Funi gets the exclusive. It's not an issue of license but of Funi being unwilling to lift their region block.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
So if I understand this properly Crunchyroll and Funimation are partnering up, will share a large part of their catalogs with each site still being seperate. Crunchyroll will focus on subbing the titles they or Funi licenses that are part of this partnership while Funi will focus primarily on dubbing and home video releases for those select titles. Truly sounds like an absolutely amazing partnership that benefits everyone. For sub fans who like Crunchys site or translations will see them for both Crunchy and Funi licenses, meanwhile dub fans like myself get access to a whole new selection of content from crunchy and I don't have to groan anymore when Crunchy gets a new license as I don't have to worry about a title never having a chance at a dub or home video release. Also means Funimation doesn't need to spend budget on subbing and can work just on the simulcast dubs and home video releases! Increased dubbing budget just brings tears to my eyes and is truly wonderful news! So excited for this Anime smile

Though I had figured maybe Sentai and Crunchy would team up since a large portion of Sentai titles are available on Crunchyroll so hopefully Sentai can partner with someone, maybe Amazon or Netflix? Are maybe just mainly deal with catalog titles. I love Sentai and would hate for them to go away.

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
As a paying CR subscriber, this sounds good to me. I'd love for CR to form more deals so that CR has all subtitle, simulpub streaming. (Ditto for manga.) CR just needs to get their app out onto smart TVs though so that I can stream them on any of my TVs.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
So are we living in the Twilight Zone because I never thought in a million years that Funimation and Crunchyroll would enter into a partnership not that I don't like it the more dubs the better it's just that I'm shocked about this whole thing. Shocked

Last edited by AnimeLordLuis on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
addiemon wrote:
Well, that can't happen for any title that funi doesn't have LATAM rights for in the first place. Might be doable for the titles they do have the rights for though.
I mean they're basically handing subs/simulcasts to Crunchyroll in NA, as they say on their blog ("For subtitled viewing, you’ll be able to go to Crunchyroll")...but that doesn't mean they're ready to cede every other territory yet, if they think they can play in them or get more money from local licensees.

As far as I know, Funimation gets the rights for all of the Americas, which is why Crunchyroll can't stream them here (most of the time they do stream them on places like Spain where Funi doesn't license them).
One clear example I remember where this is explicitly stated is the Attack on Titan movies. Needless to say, it hasn't been released here.

On your second point, I seriously hope they don't try to pull shit like that. Having a separate Funimation subscription here would be amazingly stupid now that this partnership exists in the US and Canada. Seeing as how big piracy is here, people won't even give it a chance if you have to pay double.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering how Crunchyroll was going to release all the series it acquired. I was not expecting them to team up with Funimation. I'm pretty happy about that though, since it means it will probably be similar in price to Funimation's other anime. Time will tell, but I don't see a down side to this for the typical anime fan.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And I wonder if this further puts Sentai at a disadvantage in terms of acquiring new shows.

That is a fair question considering Sentai had previously picked up physical and dub rights for titles that streamed on CR, but CR was moving toward doing those things themselves, so things weren't looking up for Sentai already. Looking at the partnership, and the fact that they'll be working together on licenses, and it'l looking more and more like Sentai will have to rely on the leftovers.

Also, upon reading the blog post on Funi's site, they say that subbed versions of shows will be migrating over to CR. Maybe I'm misreading, but is it the case that basically viewers will go to CR to watch subs and Funimation only for dubbed content?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of some of Crunchyroll's summer simulcast titles, including: 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100, and Orange.
Does this mean then that a lot more shows that air on CR will be dubbed by Funimation? There dubs are not all that good, a lot of their staple actors are not all that interesting to hear either. I know people have issues with them, but I would rather have Aniplex US dub them, since their dubs are consistently better, and there from different studios, so it ads variety.

Am I just reading to far into this, or do Funi seem a little desperate, they got on the production committee for Dimension W, then it failed along with their investment. They are loosing a lot of the recent big titles to other studios. Off the top of my head. there is; One Punch Man, Hunter X Hunter, Parasyte, So this seems like a plan to get first dibs at the big titles. And if they are talking about merging, which I really hope they don't, then it must mean Funimation Now is not doing all that well
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Unless this partnership means that Funi titles will be available in CR for Latin America (which I'm seriously seriously hoping will be the case), then yeah, you'll still hear complaints from people here in the south about it. And at least for now, they aren't.

If the above doesn't happen then this partnership means little to nothing for me, but it sounds like a great step forward for US viewers. It's nice to see companies teaming up for the consumer's benefit

I fully concur. As much as some are expressing utter euphoria in reaction to this development, and as fructiferous as it promises to be for them, the all-too-familiar attitude of wait and see prevails elsewhere. Indeed, my present sentiments are not unlike those I adopted when Hulu first announced that they were to stream anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so Cunchyroll will release the dub for 91 days? or does Funimation own the rights? Will it release in Blu-Ray?

Also, does anyone else feel like Aniplex USA is getting left behind? I'm kind of hoping they do, so they leave the US market, and other companies can get their shows and release them with a much lower price.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
So all of CR's licenses will be getting dubbed in Texas instead of spicing it up and going all over the place? Great.

This is what we call a monopoly and its absolute garbage.

A few broadcast dubs have been recorded in LA thanks to Todd home studio. I disagree with you.

Reading this... im shocked... this partnership sounds really amazing. I think they were working on this for a longer time now. Considering funimation dubbed S1 of Free despite not having the license.

More weekly dubs? YES!
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Also, upon reading the blog post on Funi's site, they say that subbed versions of shows will be migrating over to CR. Maybe I'm misreading, but is it the case that basically viewers will go to CR to watch subs and Funimation only for dubbed content?

Yup. Funimation will be dub-only now. If you want subs, you go to CR.

What I find funny is that supposedly Funi was going to figure out how to use soft-subs and not have terrible video by next season, and it seems that the solution was to leave it all to Crunchy. Laughing

And now that I think about it, the "will you dub in other languages" question on the FAQ makes me wonder. Maybe it'll all be better than we expect in the future. I can understand if Funi's trying to figure out making dubs in Spanish in order to come to Latin America in the same way (Funi for dubs, Crunchy for subs). Then I can understand why they're waiting to release their stuff on CR here. I just hope they don't take too long.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Wait, so Cunchyroll will release the dub for 91 days? or does Funimation own the rights? Will it release in Blu-Ray?

Also, does anyone else feel like Aniplex USA is getting left behind? I'm kind of hoping they do, so they leave the US market, and other companies can get their shows and release them with a much lower price.

Dont worry to much about AoA, they snatched a few titles of Funimation back to themselves. besides in Japan produces Aniplex titles will go to AoA always. AoA does its own thing with their overpriced releases, despite the dubs are awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13