• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Funimation And Crunchyroll Getting Married?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Why do people still think Hulu is strictly subscription-only when I'm still able to view episodes of Initial D and Oreimo from Hulu without a subscription?

By the way, yes, I have an account, but it doesn't require money.
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
All the companies are decently secretive about the amount they pay for licenses, so to hear that it was getting Anime-Bubble bad is shocking, and if this partnership helps mitigate that long-term, then I would even be fine with a net-loss of shows or slight price increase. I don't want to lose anime Sad

Though I'd like to think that some of the worse problems from the original bubble can't happen this time, due to streaming. It's hard to send back tons of non-existent (Streaming = no Discs) DVDs/BDs for refunds.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Dude! I had no idea about YahooView! I just assumed Hulu had disappointed me and I would never see it again. So thank you so much for telling me about it! It has zero advertisement.

Yeah, I only found out about that site when I went to try to watch something on the Hulu site, but it really needs some advertising! LOL. And they need to get an app out for TVs.

angelmcazares wrote:
Answerman wrote:
the fees for some shows well over the US$200,000 per episode mark -- $2.6 Million for a 13-episode show

Oh my god! Things are way, way crazier than I anticipated. I guess companies learned nothing from the last anime bubble. I want to believe that those insane fees only apply to the My Hero Academias and One-Punch Mans. Because if those fees are close to the standard across the board, NISA will never publish anime again and Sentai will soon be forced out of the market.

Yeah, my eyes widened too, especially if that goes beyond the MHA/OPM-level stuff. I hope so because Sentai still needs to be able to pick up some stuff too. It seems like NISA was already slowing down with anime anyway, atleast it feels like it.

KidOblivion wrote:
What caught me off guard was FUNimation distributing Crunchyrolls titles. I would like to know if those titles will be on FUNimationNOW, or will be strictly DVD/BD only for the dub? I will also like to know what will happen with One Piece, since I watched it on FUNimation before, and would like to continue doing so moving forward if possible. I'm sure they'll answer questions at cons and interviews to come, but overall I'm pretty happy with this. To me, this means more dubs are possible from Crunchyrolls vast catalog. I really hope they get Taboo Tattoo and Art Club as well, I would like to own those two dubbed.

Hmmm, I think the FAQs by the two companies are implying, and to keep it as balanced as possible, the dub versions of the CR titles they decide to dub will be on FunimationNOW in addition to the DVD/BD, otherwise Funimation won't have as much content to push their own subscription with as CR will since CR is now getting most of the subs of both CR and Funi titles to include in their own subscription.
Good point, that's going to be weird. The One Piece sub is so far ahead of the dub that it'd be weird if Funi's fine with being so far behind on that show with tons people who are watching the sub additionally just because it's so far ahead since Funi only took over the show later. I wonder if that's one of the titles where the sub will remain on both (or just Funi), since they did say that some titles they are required by the license to keep streaming themselves.

Agreed, CR is always getting a lot of shows that I'd love to see dubbed and with this arrangement it seems in Funi's best interest to dub the shows they feel are worth doing in order to have them available on their own streaming service in addition to CR's and since the dubbed versions will be one of their main focuses (in addition to the dub/sub DVD/BDs). Ofcourse Sentai had been combing over some of these to license and dub, though they would go through periods where even stuff I'd have expected to get one still ended up sub only on the DVD/BDs (though this had happened a few times with Funi as well recently, on the recent batch of mecha shows).

Overall I absolutely love Funi's dubs and their voice actors so I'm not really concerned and they've done a rather good job overall keeping the casts varied on the simuldubs, but I do agree with the minor concern brought up in the other thread of repetition of voices that since they will seemingly be expanding their dubs into a whole new set of CR titles, and therefore presumably working on a bunch more dubs again on the whole with the same size fixed roster of actors (+ the occasional newcomer and LA guest), that hopefully the larger dub budget will allow them to occasionally do more work than ever with the other dub studios or make more arrangements to be able to work with more of those non-inhouse actors on a more regular basis, as they've already been doing a little more than in the past (ex. Tales of Zestiria, Haruhi, some of the cast even in inhouse shows, etc.) in order to expand their pool of available actors to account for the increase in dubs. Smile

corinthian wrote:
As one of those fans that does want dubs and subs, I'm not thrilled about having to pay for two services (and to be honest I probably won't, sorry Crunchyroll). I do still see this as a good thing overall, especially with the licensing costs quoted. These two companies understand and embrace anime and fandom more than any others, and if it helps them compete against the big money out there, even better.

Also, I vote Funiroll.

I know what you mean but I assume that's why they are dropping the price a little and to make it a little more palatable to subscribe to both if we want both dubs and subs (I'm like you, I like both). While looking at the sub choices from each to pick between them which to subscribe to wasn't ideal, like you I had it easier since I was also interested in the dubs as well so it did make my choice easier and was also giving me some simulcast subs each season while waiting for new dubs or the simuldubs to start (since they always started later), whereas now it'll be one or the other on each site. Though I guess with Funi's subscription fee lowering a little they are trying to accommodate subscribing to both, which is what I'll probably end up doing.

Funiroll (and CrunchyFun/Fun & Crunchy) is good Very Happy

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

I do support the (limited) cross-licensing going on here and hope that they can make it work out for the long haul. With Sony not playing nice anymore, I think it's only natural that Funimation and Crunchyroll work together to try to mitigate that as best they can.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if stubborn companies will simply not license out certain anime unless a price they want is paid up. We could potentially see a decrease in anime being licensed if there are no longer bidding wars that yield an amount that the Japanese want. Will be fun to watch.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

Inumimi and Nekomimi living together! Mass hysteria!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't see much problem with 1-2 weeks delays of simulcasts and physical released being pushed back 2-3 months.
That would just bring piracy back to it's old levels and Crunchyroll's revenue would drop as a result.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

But even if CR and FUNI are allowed to jointly acquire licenses, can't the Japanese licensors say "since you are now partners with more resources combined, you pay us $350,000 per episode"?

I suppose they could try that, but this partnership would be in a pretty strong position to resist that. Amazon and Netflix would be able to outbid them anyway, but they seem to be selective in what they license, and so they aren't reliable alternative for most shows. That would mean taking the show to companies like Sentai or NISA that probably couldn't afford to consistently meet that inflated price. Funimation and CR were the main companies with both the resources and the will to license lots of content, and now they are working together, so the alternatives would be taking the content to companies with the resources (Amazon, Netflix) but not necessarily the will, or taking it to companies with the will (Sentai, Media Blasters, etc) but not necessarily the resources.

Also, I believe I read that this sharing of content did get the approval from Japan ahead of time. I'm sure that Justin is right that the production committees don't like the idea of not being able to play the companies against each other, but I also take that approval as a sign that they realized that was preferable to losing one or both of them entirely.

As others have said, I'm surprised that CR and Funi decided to give cooperation a try, but at the licensing costs Justin mentioned, it isn't difficult to see where both would realize they were making the same mistakes that led to the bubble burst.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Answerman wrote:
the fees for some shows well over the US$200,000 per episode mark -- $2.6 Million for a 13-episode show

Oh my god! Things are way, way crazier than I anticipated. I guess companies learned nothing from the last anime bubble. I want to believe that those insane fees only apply to the My Hero Academias and One-Punch Mans. Because if those fees are close to the standard across the board, NISA will never publish anime again and Sentai will soon be forced out of the market.

Quote:
Short-term, Japanese licensors will not be happy about this arrangement. They can no longer play one against the other, and can probably expect a significant drop-off in license fee prices -- hopefully down to more sane and healthy levels.

But even if CR and FUNI are allowed to jointly acquire licenses, can't the Japanese licensors say "since you are now partners with more resources combined, you pay us $350,000 per episode"?

Such prices are a good thing. What most fans desire is to cut out the middleman and go directly to the source no ? Well it's going to happen sooner than expected with those crazy prices. Buy dvd/blu-rays directly from Japan at Japanese prices. No more localized US market for anybody. It's the Aniplex policy across the board. Those that are in love with Aniplex's price policy will be jubilent at this news.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't see much problem with 1-2 weeks delays of simulcasts and physical released being pushed back 2-3 months.
That would just bring piracy back to it's old levels and Crunchyroll's revenue would drop as a result.

Great point. I would not mind slightly delay casts, but others would pirate rather than be patient.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Buy dvd/blu-rays directly from Japan at Japanese prices. No more localized US market for anybody. It's the Aniplex policy across the board. Those that are in love with Aniplex's price policy will be jubilent at this news.

If Aniplex USA prices (which are still half of what Japanese discs cost) with English subtitles and occasional dubs became the only alternative, it would not be so bad.

But there is a possibility that Japanese distributors will keep charging $30 per episode and that they will not even bother with English subtitles.

AoA business model, as hated as it is, is the lesser of the two evils.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I believe that this is a good thing for the US Anime market and that Funimation + Crunchyroll won't monopolize on it because if you watch the FuniRoll video it's up on both of there websites they both say that they are doing this for Anime fans so they won't betray there loyal fans who made them what they are in the first place. Very Happy
peno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Tempest wrote:

Great point. I would not mind slightly delay casts, but others would pirate rather than be patient.

If it was just a week or two, it wouldn't be that big of a fuel for piracy. I still remember the fansubbing era and mostly if you got the episode in two weeks from Japanese airdate, it was small miracle. Of course there were some fastsub groups, who could produce a sub within a days of Japanese release date, but their subs were usually really bad. And not only subtitle-wise, sometimes even the video and/or audio quality was bad (I remember Naruto Shippuden fansubs, who used letterboxed SD video). Not to mention you never knew if the group will actually finish the show you started to watch. So, if it was only a matter of week or two to wait for episode being done in quality subs and have the peace that the show will eventually be finished, I guess many people would still go with it, even though they may not be happy about it. If it was anything more then that, however, that may really be problem. Still, let's hope that we will not get even to those 1-2 weeks era.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the two sharing catalogues also helps protect against losing subscribers to each other, since now users will have less reason to switch between providers. One question that raises, though, is whether it means subscriber numbers are plateauing, requiring CR & Funi to move to protect the users they have as much as attempt to attract new ones. Which makes one wonder, depending precisely on how this deal plays out, if they're in danger of falling foul of anti-trust laws; not that any regulatory body is likely to care about anime.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I suspect this also might wind up eventually lowering the amount of shows produced each season.

Do you actually think that the R2 industry licensing less anime to the R1 industry would make the R2 industry produce less anime anually? R2 only cares about it's own discs/manga/LN/merch sales. The R1 could drop dead tomorrow and R2 would still make the same ammount of shows per year, if only out of stupid pride.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
One question that raises, though, is whether it means subscriber numbers are plateauing

If this is true, soon we will see more dubbed anime shows into more traditional channels (like Toonami/Adult Swim). Just the same as one user said he did not knew about about anime in yahoo view, there are plenty of people out there that have yet to discover anime (or that think anime is shows like dragonball z or naruto or AoT only). Even if it is a bit dated, I think shows like Watamote would work quite well in attracting new viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7