• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Interviews with Monster Girls/Demi-chan wa Kataritai TV Anime's Teaser Introduces Characters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, blonde hair. I always assumed it was white or silver. Looks great though! Better than expected.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Not a particular fan of the A-1 Pictures standarized design, but the manga designs are good enough to miss the mark, anyway, but I do really like the colours. I hope the character acting will be on point, it seems it'll be for how little they've shown.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see a monster girl anime that won't be like Monster Musume.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this looks like a more generic version of Monster Musume. Monster Musume set such a high bar for weirdness and uniqueness of its characters and gimmick that any harem anime that tries a similar thing that does less than that, or that doesn't have some sort of other hook, seems bland and uninteresting at this point. From what I've seen from the PV, the only thing that can make this stand out is if the writing is especially good, and I don't exactly have high hopes on that score. Probably a pass.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Honestly, this looks like a more generic version of Monster Musume. Monster Musume set such a high bar for weirdness and uniqueness of its characters and gimmick that any harem anime that tries a similar thing that does less than that, or that doesn't have some sort of other hook, seems bland and uninteresting at this point. From what I've seen from the PV, the only thing that can make this stand out is if the writing is especially good, and I don't exactly have high hopes on that score. Probably a pass.

Not to mention its A1 pictures, and for them its either really good or completely generic.

I'll take a stab in the dark and say its the latter.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

This is Not Doing Research and Judging 101.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai is not a harem. At all. True, the main male character has a relationship with the three main girls because he is their teacher, not because he wants to bang any of them, the girls do develop a close relationship with him but the manga never implies that it could go with the teacher going out with any of his students, at least not while they are in school. Plus their role goes beyond of the central male character.

The interesting hook of Demi-chan is that this teacher is biologically interested in this demon-like girls, since they are not exactly monsters and look quite a lot like humans, and most of the chapters is the teacher learning new things about these rare species and how they work (there is like, only one Dullahan in existence and it's the girl in this manga) and their issues in handling normal school-life, some are related to their species, some are more broad, and it's a very interesting mix. Other episodes are basically comedy with a little progress on fleshing out characters, which are pretty entertaining by themselves too.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

Demi-chan wa Kataritai is not a harem. At all. True, the main male character has a relationship with the three main girls because he is their teacher, not because he wants to bang any of them, the girls do develop a close relationship with him but the manga never implies that it could go with the teacher going out with any of his students, at least not while they are in school. Plus their role goes beyond of the central male character.

The interesting hook of Demi-chan is that this teacher is biologically interested in this demon-like girls, since they are not exactly monsters and look quite a lot like humans, and most of the chapters is the teacher learning new things about these rare species and how they work (there is like, only one Dullahan in existence and it's the girl in this manga) and their issues in handling normal school-life, some are related to their species, some are more broad, and it's a very interesting mix. Other episodes are basically comedy with a little progress on fleshing out characters, which are pretty entertaining by themselves too.

My statement was a reply to the PV; I shouldn't have to do any research beyond that. If what you said is true, it sounds like it could be OK, but none of that was intimated by the PV.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

My statement was a reply to the PV; I shouldn't have to do any research beyond that. If what you said is true, it sounds like it could be OK, but none of that was intimated by the PV.

The preview never implied harem in any way, a guy getting a job as a teacher at a school is not am harem indicative. Ultimate Otaku Teacer has the same hook but that's not technically a harem.

If your looking for something to compare this to, it's much more of Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmay than MonMusu.

As a side note it's criminal Monster Infirmary hasn't had an anime yet.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

You mean not even reading the small synopsis ANN puts just below?
FtKaru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

And yet everything you said about it was still based on the assumption that it was a harem series when the PV doesn't indicate any of that. If you're not going to do any research beyond watching the PV, you could at least read the article it's embedded in.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks cute looks like it would be worth watching but it seem more like Rosario to Vampire then Monster Musume
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
A-1 Pictures standardized design. Not interested.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The female characters look adorable! Anime smile I'm optimistic that Monster Girls/Demi-chan will be a fun show.
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
As a side note it's criminal Monster Infirmary hasn't had an anime yet.

It very criminal that Hitomi-sensei hasn't gotten an anime, but it can get pretty weird (much weirder than MonMusu) really fast.

Demi-chan could be really good if they focus on the student- teacher relationship rather making it out to look like it is a harem series where all the girls are after the main character.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
The monster girls designs so far look fairly decent and I do like the overall story so I give it a shot even if it is from A-1 pictures. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2