• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Poll Asks Men Which Shōjo Manga They'd Recommend to Other Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Perhaps I should scrutinize these results for prospects. As I review the list of manga that I've read it seems that I haven't in fact read any shōjo manga.

There's Magic Knight Rayearth. I haven't looked through the whole list, but that leaped out at me.

Megiddo wrote:
That said, I have to wonder if there was a translation error for this poll. Did the original poll ask for just shoujo manga or did it ask for manga aimed at females that guys could also like?

No, it says shoujo manga. Blame BookLive! and or the respondents.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Chihayafuru needs more love in the Americas! I've resorted to buying the French version put out by Pika Edition D:

100% Agree! It's such a fantastic story I fell for the anime hard and fast and now desperately want to own it and the manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! They still recommend Banana Fish to others! It is a pretty damn badass manga, I must admit. Viz really needs to republish this series under their Sig line, I don't think it would sell well under their shojo line. And then I could buy copies and pass them out like a crazed evangelist or something. Seriously though, this is my favorite manga of all time. Add in anime and video games, it's still my favorite. The only thing I like more is my precious cat.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I don't mind that men read shoujo manga...

But what kind of left me with a Confused face was seeing them recommending, out of all things, shounen-ai (Patalliro)

What's wrong with men recommending shonen-ai?
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
My tastes in shoujo tend to be pretty cliche for some reason. Ore Monotagari and Nozaki-kun are good, non-cliche manga, but I like Love So Life, Faster than a Kiss, and Aishteruze Baby because of family themes. Hana to Akuma is one of my less well known favorites, and I doubt I'm the only one who likes The World is Still Beautiful. I also have fond memories of Moe Kare and Special A, and both Card Captor Sakura and Daa Daa Daa are classic must watch shoujo manga anime adaptations for different reasons.

I rarely read josei because it's usually less good due to beong more prone to exaggerated melodrama (more than in shoujo and seinen usually.) There are some gems in manga for that demographic though. Game Over is a good short series, and Liar x Liar is pretty engaging even if the characters aren't completely likable. I may dislike them, but I understand them and they interest me regardless.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sailor Moon yet. I think Sailor Moon is probably the one shoujo manga that would have the most broad gender appeal. Sailor Moon has a great balance of action and romance to appeal to all kinds of fans and I think the Sailor Guardians are easily relatable to most fans even if you're a guy. Even though I'm a guy, I feel like I can still relate pretty easily to Usagi and Sailor Moon seems to have as many guy fans as it does women and the manga can get pretty dark. I think most CLAMP manga also have a lot of appeal. If you don't mind the lack of an ending, I think most guys would really enjoy X/1999 with all the apocalyptic action. Even though it's a more cuter series, I know plenty of guys who love Cardcaptor Sakura. It's basically magical girl with a gotta catch em all monster battle theme to it. Magic Knight Rayearth is another one that might be good with its combination of fantasy and giant robots. I also second My Love Story and I think Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club would also have a lot of appeal to guys.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
My favorite shojo manga would have to be Sailor Moon since I tend to lean more towards action series. Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Too many typical romances (although My Love Story! has that *perfect* humor factor!). Shojo manga can have fantastical (scifi and/or fantasy) and action elements that rivals the best of shonen! Yona of the Dawn is the latest in a long line of shojo manga populated by badass female protagonists in an action packed plot--Basara, Red River, Fushigi Yuugi & Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden...basically everything by Yuu Watase, actually. Eh, I'm just upset that so few of these get published regularly in English (and those that were published were only rereleased digitally, if at all--poor Banana Fish!) after the so many were put out in the 90's and 00's that apparently didn't sell as well as hoped. I just want Basara's Yumi Tamura's post-apocalyptic sci-fi josei 7Seeds to come out in English, but we barely got Yona after a successful anime run. Viz in particular seems nervous about long running action shojo, unless there's a vampire romance involved! Wink Razz

Second part of the poll--relieved to see so few guys want to block someone's path via kabe-don. I doubt it comes off as charming in real life!
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
So.... why the Maison Ikkoku image?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
As far as actual shoujo manga I've read which isn't much I'd recommend Kare Kano and Black Bird. The list recommendations that might be shoujo would be longer if we were talking anime though, since I watch far more than I read.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
So.... why the Maison Ikkoku image?

"The poll then asked if there were any physical gestures in shōjo manga that the male readers would try out"

The image from MI was an example of the most selected choice, "asunaro daki".
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
Looking through my collection, I think my top recommendation would be the soapy thriller Arisa, which has great plot twists and solid line-art. Beyond that, Orange is obvious, and if you're still up for downbeat (or flat-out depressing) drama, Sand Chronicles fits the bill. Also, the classic shoujo sci fi To Terra and They Were 11.

At the moment, I'm enjoying the dumb fun So Cute It Hurts! and Idol Dreams, but let's wait a few more volumes to see how those turn out.

From the "does it count" department: Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun is published in Gangan Online, so I'm not sure if that disqualifies it as genuine shoujo? And I don't know if the yuri classification overrides shoujo for Girl Friends, because (problems with male-gaze creepers reading yuri aside), I like the way it speeds though its story in just a couple volumes, whereas I've tired of long running romances that won't get to the point (I flaked on Lovely Complex after 14 volumes because it was just coasting and not going anywhere… a fate I fear may hit Say I Love You., which I'm 4 volumes into).
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
And I don't know if the yuri classification overrides shoujo for Girl Friends

It wouldn't, but no shoujo classification exists: it was aimed at men and published in a seinen magazine. The fact that it's really well written and penned by a female author are meaningless – no one's saying Kodomo no Jikan was written for children.
invalidname wrote:
problems with male-gaze creepers reading yuri aside

Why is a problem for anyone to read something that appeals to them, whether or it is or isn't aimed towards them (which in this case it is)?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Why is a problem for anyone to read something that appeals to them, whether or it is or isn't aimed towards them (which in this case it is)?

The discourse! :D
HikariGo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
A few of my favourites made the list in; Chihayafuru, Nodame Cantabile and Kimi ni Todoke.

I am surprised Akatsuki no Yona is not getting any love on this list though, definitely fits this category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3