• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gintama Manga Gets New TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Plowing it to the out, ha?
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
This is the best news to wake up to. We'll it would be even better if bleach made a return but I stopped really getting my hopes up.

Why must WSJ always give Bleach the unfair treatment? Anime cry
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
TrueZangetsu wrote:
This is the best news to wake up to. We'll it would be even better if bleach made a return but I stopped really getting my hopes up.

Because Kubo deserved that treatment long ago, that's why. Very Happy
Although the most likely it simply because the anime done by Pierrot, which relies too heavily on the dotations with the WSJ stuff.
Turro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
This is great! Amazing news! Can' t wait.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
TrueZangetsu wrote:

Although the most likely it simply because the anime done by Pierrot, which relies too heavily on the dotations with the WSJ stuff.
no Kubo didn't deserve it, and opinions about series is besides the point. god the Bleach haters are so much worse then fanboys these days Rolling Eyes
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
Boooo YAAAAA

Great stuff indeed
Dylan21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Not unexpected but still amazing news. Really miss watching Gintama weekly.

Gemnist wrote:
Well, this is no surprise; they had to get one in before the manga ended. I'm just wanting to see the English dub - it better be absolutely fantastic.

English dub would never work for Gintama and I highly doubt the TV series would ever get one. So many jokes would not make sense anymore or just sound cringe worthy for the dub. There are a lot of jokes that use a play on words in the Japanese language (such as Kintama and Gintama). Plus the Japenese VAs in Gintama is probably the best VAs performance there is.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
TrueZangetsu wrote:

no Kubo didn't deserve it, and opinions about series is besides the point. god the Bleach haters are so much worse then fanboys these days Rolling Eyes

It's funny how some people like to close their eyes, blame the evil evil Jump who have no other motive than giving Kubo an unfair treatment. Yeah right. Jump is the first company who would try to milk a series as much as they can, but after being last in the rankings for months/years, dropping in sales, dropping in popularity, every company with a brain wouldn't give this series an anime. Not to mention that it's not even one season of 12-13 episodes but probably over 100 episodes which is extremely risky.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
Dylan21 wrote:
Not unexpected but still amazing news. Really miss watching Gintama weekly.

Gemnist wrote:
Well, this is no surprise; they had to get one in before the manga ended. I'm just wanting to see the English dub - it better be absolutely fantastic.

English dub would never work for Gintama and I highly doubt the TV series would ever get one. So many jokes would not make sense anymore or just sound cringe worthy for the dub. There are a lot of jokes that use a play on words in the Japanese language (such as Kintama and Gintama). Plus the Japenese VAs in Gintama is probably the best VAs performance there is.

This right here ^ I agree, Its why Gintama hasn't has a worldwide impact with sales and solely realises everything in Japan since its main audience is them. People like myself still found it sometimes hard to get a joke or reference as it was based on Japan's culture especially of the Samurai Era. English dub gonna ruined I would say for myself and quite a lot of the Gintama Fanbase.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
I have a question:

Why use the term "inspired"? Was "adapted into" not good enough?
Midaro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
¡Qué gran noticia! I'm so glad that they confirmed it!! Other animes like Bleach and the Lost Canvas were drop in the middle of the story. These are great news!!! My favourite tv series is back!!!!! Very Happy

I would only ask that the Japanese Bluerays had a new release with English (and Spanish, please, please, please) subtitles as well, so that we could buy them in the rest of the world since the attempts to dub the series are so difficult and we preffer to hear the original voices anyway as they are soooo cool.

Last edited by Midaro on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:

People like myself still found it sometimes hard to get a joke or reference as it was based on Japan's culture especially of the Samurai Era. English dub gonna ruined I would say for myself and quite a lot of the Gintama Fanbase.

Its not about the samurai era reference. We did get English dubbed of Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin and it turned out fine.

Its more like how the jokes will play in English dub. Japanese pun, tsukkomi(straight man role) will turned out bad when speech-translated. Not to mention there are real life event/Japanese artist reference which is more confusing and hard to understand even for subbed version.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
HueyLion wrote:

People like myself still found it sometimes hard to get a joke or reference as it was based on Japan's culture especially of the Samurai Era. English dub gonna ruined I would say for myself and quite a lot of the Gintama Fanbase.

Its not about the samurai era reference. We did get English dubbed of Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin and it turned out fine.

Its more like how the jokes will play in English dub. Japanese pun, tsukkomi(straight man role) will turned out bad when speech-translated. Not to mention there are real life event/Japanese artist reference which is more confusing and hard to understand even for subbed version.

Well thats assuming everyone has actually seen or heard off Rurouni Kenshin tho...regardless Dub wont work in a lot of peoples favour and if CunchyMation is gonna dub it they gonna have to do all the series not just the latest one.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
Dylan21 wrote:

English dub would never work for Gintama and I highly doubt the TV series would ever get one.

I'm guessing you missed the news that it was one of the series CR committed to releasing on home video (now via Funimation), and all the titles they listed were to include a dub.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
This should be quite good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4