• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Teased in 3 Videos With Scarlett Johansson

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Oooh, are they going to do Kusanagi having girlfriends?

Wouldn't be the first they did. The Major, has historically been bisexual.

Yeah, but I thought they might've shied away from this in a Hollywood production. Even in Stand Alone Complex they mostly implied it. Nothing outside of the manga has had her explicitly with women.

It'll be nice if there's some kind of LGBTQ+ representation in the live-action movie, especially since genders and sexes can be so ill-defined in a culture of cybernetics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

How's about worrying more on the action and less on the Major's significant others? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

How's about worrying more on the action and less on the Major's significant others? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I'm more worried about the psychology. GitS isn't intended to be solely an action franchise. It's about our relationship with technology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Not really impressed with the teasers, it seemed flat and bland, trying it's best to appear to mimic the GitS Anime. Almost like a colored Sin City.

Personally, I'm still disappointed them giving the role to Scarlett, given how wooden her acting is. There are plenty of talented Asian actresses that would've been a better choice. Also, Scarlett's recent snubbing of those who don't agree with her political views, I personally decided I'm not going to bother going to the theaters nor buying the DVD. Even if it is a success.
Fabe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'm more worried about the psychology. GitS isn't intended to be solely an action franchise. It's about our relationship with technology.

Yup. There better be at least one really good scene where they discuss what it means to be human in a world of cyberation
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
The third clip looks like a scene out of Under The Skin, but of another woman asking her the question instead of a man.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:55 pm; edited 6 times in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Personally, I'm still disappointed them giving the role to Scarlett, given how wooden her acting is. There are plenty of talented Asian actresses that would've been a better choice.

None of whom are major names in Hollywood.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Personally, I'm still disappointed them giving the role to Scarlett, given how wooden her acting is.

Hey, that didn't stop Mimi Woods playing her in the dub of the first movie!
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
...People are still complaining about the supposed whitewashing?

I'm not going to be naïve enough to claim that whitewashing in Hollywood isn't a problem, but for fudge sake: Is this really the film you would use as the poster child for your "activism"? Producers and other major figures in Japan have even reacted to the whole controversy as being ridiculous, some arguing that the Major's ethnicity is entirely unimportant, if not outright nonexistent. In other words, her ethnicity (or lack thereof) doesn't even come into Ghost in the Shell as a meaningful element. There really isn't much in the franchise's various works that absolutely necessitates its setting: I would suggest that Shirow set it in Japan because, being Japanese himself, it would be the region he is most familiar with, where its political system is used solely as a backdrop to authenticate the events that unfold. You could replace it with that of the United States or that of one of the European countries and likely get a similar result.

Further, considering the fairly ruined state of the rest of the world according to the source material, it stands to reason that Japan, with it's "Japanese miracle" radiation scrubbers, would be very attractive to displaced refugees from all around the globe, whether they are white, black, yellow, pink, brown, or what have you. Again, though, you could set it somewhere else, call it the "[Insert Demonym Here] miracle" and still have a story to tell.

There just really isn't much in the franchise beyond the very medium in which it's delivered that is specifically Japanese, or even Asian, for that matter. It's right up there with works like 91 Days, Baccano!, Black Lagoon, The Big O, Cowboy Bebop, Ergo Proxy, Fullmetal Alchemist, Outlaw Star, and Trigun as an anime made by Japanese who weren't at all concerned with making it Japanese.

Just for good measure, I took a look at the rest of the names in the cast, and the division between ethnically western and eastern actors and actresses is almost an even split--a smart decision, because now, at least we can avoid both the nonsensical everyone-but-the-main-character-being-Asian, as well as the all-white-cast-except-for-maybe-one-or-two-Asians, both situations representing the real unsightly symptoms of the whitewashing issue. The most recent example that I saw was 47 Ronin. I don't think there was another white actor in that entire film besides Keanu Reeves, except during the port scene(s), which made him seem stupidly out-of-place even before you get into the whitewashing issue. At least this one, for not trying to be Asian, so to speak, is falling back on being international, which I think is tasteful for modern media.

Now, if you just don't like Scarlet Johansson, that's fine: I don't dislike her myself, being that she's margins better than the rest of the badass-female-secret-agent-martial-arts-sex-object trope actresses out there, but she otherwise doesn't really stand out much to me. I'm just saying that complaints over the fact that she's white and playing the Major are absurd because, again, the Major might as well be ethnically neutral. She could be [expletive] African (Idris Elba's Roland Deschain, anyone?), or Arabian, or Pacific Islander, or South American for all I give a shit. But they went with white-as-transparency Scarlet Johansson, who, ethnicity aside, can be said to actually look damn close to what the Major would look like if you literally ripped her straight out of either the original animated film dilogy or the Arise series and added more dimensions.

If you want to complain some more about whitewashing in Hollywood, please do. Just know that this is far from the best case (if it's a case at all) to use.

Now, if Hollywood picked up something like Rurouni Kenshin and then pulled another 47 Ronin, then I think we'd have something to pinch out a giant loaf over.

Last edited by Gatherum on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Personally, I'm still disappointed them giving the role to Scarlett, given how wooden her acting is. There are plenty of talented Asian actresses that would've been a better choice

Care to give example of better Asian actresses?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Personally, I'm still disappointed them giving the role to Scarlett, given how wooden her acting is. There are plenty of talented Asian actresses that would've been a better choice.

Am going to assume you haven't seen her in Under the Skin or Lost in Translation. Yeah it would've been nice if they got a Asian actress for the lead,but Motako's character isn't defined by her race at all.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
None of whom are major names in Hollywood.

Scarlett Johansson has had flops like The Island and Under The skin even after she became famous and the Marvel movies would have made money with or without her. I think the very idea of a box office draw is a myth. Sylvester Stallone for example hasn't had that many hits outside of Rambo and Rocky movies.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'll be repeating myself, but.. this movie shouldn't be made. It should never come to exist. Do not adapt anime and manga to movies. Just don't. It never has worked and it never will.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki Wrote:
Quote:
I think the very idea of a box office draw is a myth.

Maybe yes, maybe not, it really doesn't matter. As long as the people in Hollywood who make the decisions believe in that myth it has the force of reality. You can talk about what the film industry in this country should do until you are blue in the face, but if you are not the person controlling the purse strings, you get no say in the matter.

In the case of Ghost In The Shell, the decision has already been made. Arguing about it is more or less an exercise in futility. The only thing you can decide is if you will go to see the final result or not.

I really wish people would wait until the film comes out before they complain about it. One of these days a big budget US movie based on an anime will make it big. At that point people will be all over the Japanese rights holders shoving money at them for the rights to additional anime. That may or may not be a good thing.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I really wish people would wait until the film comes out before they complain about it. One of these days a big budget US movie based on an anime will make it big. At that point people will be all over the Japanese rights holders shoving money at them for the rights to additional anime. That may or may not be a good thing.

People who have seen this same song and dance out of Hollywood time and time again don't need to wait to know how it will turn out, they can see the pattern, like knowing a lit stove will burn your hand. If a Hollywood adaption of an anime does ever hit it big, it wont be a faithful adaption.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4