• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's RIN-NE Manga Gets 3rd Anime Season in Spring 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
OMG! More Mamiya Sakura. The takeover was already here, we just didn't know.

Also, Rinne gets season 3 before Index. Bullshit. This world ain't right. What world line am I in for this stroke of bad luck to continue?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
I am SERIOUSLY happy that this is happening Very Happy I love you, NHK. Just holy crap, Spring 2017 is looking great already and yet it's still so far away.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gwydion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Well I for one am happy about this! It's certainly not my favorite anime, nor my favorite Rumiko Takahashi work, but I do enjoy it. Took me a while to get into it, but it has a more subdued charm that I like (and personally I'm happy for the lack of pervert characters - someone like Miroku never bothered me, but gosh darn if I didn't want to throw my book every time Happosai appeared). I can totally understand why it's not for everyone, but I am a bit perplexed as to why it seems to garner genuine hate. Oh well, I'm excited for next spring, at least!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Another season is good but was hoping for a movie
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Gwydion wrote:
. . . am a bit perplexed as to why it seems to garner genuine hate.

I think that some people use threads about popular shows to vent their frustration about other things by saying "why do we get more of this when [something that I want] has not been made?" It does not necessarily mean that they dislike the show that the thread is about.

I like the Rin-Ne manga enough that I consider another anime season to be good news even though I have not watched any of the existing anime yet.
I am waiting to see if Sentai decides to release it again with a dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Rumiko Takahashi is a huge deal in Japan and has been since the 70s, everything she's ever written has been turned into an anime. Sometimes Japan just has different tastes than the rest of the world.
I used to be a huge Takahashi fan but unfortunately this show just never clicked with me. I love her when her characters are boisterous and larger than life, which they just aren't in Rinne. I don't see it's third season as either good or bad, it just is.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 are collectively tied for 5 on my top ten list and I enjoy Masion Ikkoku and liked Inuyasha. But to some extent Takahashi never really changes anything up. Rinne just feels like Inuyasha if he came to the modern time instead of Kagome going there. Plus her main heroines in the last few series have been rather boring and bland, basically copy and pastes of each. Her non heroine female characters I feel are almost always more interesting but ultimately under utilized.
ew121

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Takahashi knows some pretty generous people. to get three seasons out of a series where the disc sales are horrible is nothing beyond amazing.

There's always the newfriend that doesn't know how anime industry works... Just go back to MAL and talk about whatever cancer you guys like to talk about.
ew121

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 are collectively tied for 5 on my top ten list and I enjoy Masion Ikkoku and liked Inuyasha. But to some extent Takahashi never really changes anything up. Rinne just feels like Inuyasha if he came to the modern time instead of Kagome going there. Plus her main heroines in the last few series have been rather boring and bland, basically copy and pastes of each. Her non heroine female characters I feel are almost always more interesting but ultimately under utilized.

If you think Mamiya Sakura is like any other Takashi heroine so far then you're incredibly wrong. And Rokudo has no similarity with Inuyasha other than being a hybrid.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the first episode of Rinne but it was just too ridiculous and absurd to me and the characters were just kind of grating to me. In fairness, Rinne seemed like the type of show that isn't aimed at my age group and I can see younger anime fans who might not be as familiar with Takahashi's earlier work being fans of this. But I just can't help but keep comparing this to Inuyasha and Ranma and thinking she's done a lot better other works.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
Gotta love NHK. I won't pretend I understand their business model, but if it's something that gives us three seasons of Rinne, then by all means they should keep doing that.
ew121

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Gotta love NHK. I won't pretend I understand their business model, but if it's something that gives us three seasons of Rinne, then by all means they should keep doing that.

It's very simple really, it's like every TV show works all over the world.

TV series in the US don't get new seasons because of Blu Rays, they stay on air because they have a lot of viewers. NHK works like that .

A recent example is Baby Steps, ratings were good so it got a season 2.

Toei works like that too with long running anime, World Trigger had good ratings so the original 50 episodes were expanded to 75 or something and they only stopped because there was no more source material. But they still keep pushing the series through magazines and ads while waiting for the manga to advance.

These shows don't even aim to sell discs, in fact some of them don't even have discs to sell. Only late night anime targets disc sales, because those are Otaku shows.

You rarely see anyone mentioning Naruto or One Piece BD sales unless they're movies, but those shows have been on air for almost 2 decades now and they bring more money than any Otaku late night anime.

Expanding on that if you want to know:
Of course there are also exceptions between those "otaku anime", like they can have poor/mediocre sales but keep getting new seasons because they sell merchandise like crazy and still make more money than shows with a 6k average, or they boost manga sales a lot so publishers order a new season. Noragami fits here

One example of a show doing good but not as good as a previous one is UBW(2014).
F/Z had more disc sales than the UBW remake(but much much less than the original F/SN anime by DEEN), F/Z was a new story that hadn't been adapted before so it had great BD sales BUT it doesn't sell merch, F/SN sells 100 times more than F/Z does even if the latest UBW remake while doing good didn't do as good as F/Z, in fact F/Z has little and poor quality merch because nobody really cares about it's characters and stuff, people like Saber but they don't even like F/Z Saber over her F/SN counterpart.

So yeah, there's different circumstances but what you need to know is that BD sales to some shows are non-important and to others are just mildly important.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I know all of that, but what mystifies me about Rinne's case is that, in addition to the low DVD sales (it's yet to get a BD release in Japan) the manga got pretty much no sales boost from the anime, and I'm not aware of any big merchandise push for it.

The only metrics we have for its success are the decent ratings it gets, but NHK-E is a government-funded channel and the show doesn't appear to have any sponsors, so I just don't get how the production committee (just NHK and Shogakukan, judging by the credits) is making money from it. In the case of other manga-based NHK shows that got multiple seasons, there was at least a sizeable manga sales boost that seemed to justify the renewals. My guess is that the so-called "rules" of the market just don't apply to NHK shows, and they're happy to spend public money on them with little return as long as enough people are watching them.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
While I'm those who like the show, too, I do wonder: if the show is popular enough to warrant a 3rd season (and probably with another 25 episodes), why not go long-running at this point?

I like that they are starting to do seasons more often. I think its better then getting bogged down with endless filler like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and so many other long running series. If Toei did One Piece like this maybe they wouldn't have to cheap out on the animation as much as they do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking out of my butt here, because I know exactly zero about how public broadcasting works in Japan. I'll I can do is compared it to public broadcasting in Canada without knowing if what applies here, also applies there. So consider this a semi-educated guess.

In Canada, the CBC is mandated to produce certain kinds of programs that reflect different criteria like regional diversity (i.e. shows have to be created in all regions of the country) as well as reflect certain social goals like increasing minority representation both on camera and behind it.

Therefore certain shows get on the air without there necessarily being a strict regard for their ratings popularity. As long as they check enough boxes, that justifies their existence. Personally, I think this results in a lot of shows that your average human being has zero interest in, but that's a different subject for a different time.

It is possible that RIN-NE checks some NHK requirements that we are not aware of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3