• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Fans Choose the Strongest Robot Pilots

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
I thought Char was a lot more popular than Amuro.

But this poll defied my expectations.

Maybe they were simply considering that "in there final canonical battle, Char loses to Amuro", Amuro and Char almost never fought each other on equal standings, they often had Mobile suits at significant levels of technological differences or they fought when say Char had been an overly active MS pilot where Amuro was still a novice.

Amuro at his best on an even playing field will beat out Char, but most of the time Char has been a menace on the battle field for a lot longer than Amuro, if Char played his usual game with Amuro he would of somehow gotten Amuro killed by friendly fire.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Heero is in the top 10. Yes!

Quote:
1. AMURO, Mobile Suit Gundam (841)
2. KIRA, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (687)

Never in a million years(joke) would I think this would be relevant:

Who is the best Gundam pilot?

A: Kira Yamato hands down.

B: Another vote for Jesus Yamato you gundam seedlings - my vote's for Amuro Ray!

Quote:
20. Lelouch, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (94)

Can't spell plotting without piloting.
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
That list sucks half of those people aren't even good pilots in there own shows.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Where is Shinn Asuka, he's the strongest.

You mean the guy who got defeated left crying on the moon like a bitch at series end ya no thank you. Sorry if you actually like Destiny but my rational and justifiable hatred for all things Destiny ruin any chance that I would accept Shinn aka the worst part about Destiny.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So not a single female pilot on here, huh? Figures.

Yeah I was thinking Kallen from Code Geass, but she's not even on the suggested list, and there's no option to add our own choice this time -_-

There actually is an other option in ANN poll at the bottom of the article. For the original poll I am guessing they either had a much larger selection of pilots to choose from or people just wrote in and these were the top 20 choices. If these were the only choices some of them feel weird picks and they don't even include some of the classic Japanese mecha pilots like Koji Kabuto of Mazinger Z.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:
No Kamina? I guess there is new generation of anime fans nowadays.

Btw. Simon on 11th, let's just ignore fact that he had mech bigger than half of universe.

These rankings are always retarded. Rolling Eyes

If you are talking about Kamina from Gurren Lagann then Simon should be ahead of him as a pilot. Only in the beginning was Kamina a better pilot them him and that was more due to Simon's own insecurities and fears. There was a reason Kamina kept pushing Simon because he saw the greatest in him even though Simon didn't himself see it.

If you are not talking about Kamina from Gurren Lagann I don't know another Kamina in anime.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
You mean the guy who got defeated left crying on the moon like a bitch at series end ya no thank you. Sorry if you actually like Destiny but my rational and justifiable hatred for all things Destiny ruin any chance that I would accept Shinn aka the worst part about Destiny.

It's simple, really: Kira is strong (he's not, his machine just has aim hax but w/e) and Shinn beat Kira. Therefore Shinn is better than Kira.

But the truly greatest of them all is not from Gundam. It's this mo-fo right here:

This is Girge from Broken Blade. How good is he? He was released from jail because his skills were needed. He was in jail in the first place because he wiped the floor with an entire squad of his fellow recruits by himself. He was given a captured enemy unit which was difficult to use even in its native country and he mastered it in no time. He takes on an infamous elite squad of enemy soldiers by himself without breaking a sweat. Another one he takes on when his unit is heavily damaged and it even loses a leg. In space losing a leg is no big deal but this is happening on Earth (or whatever planet it is) and he still effortlessly trounces his foes. He even USES THE BROKEN LEG STUMP TO STAB AN ENEMY THROUGH THE FACE. He doesn't have psychic powers or anything (okay he can use magic but everyone except the MC can) he's just THAT DAMN GOOD.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well Amuro is a space mystic, so of course he'd win, but if you take super power out of the equation Kira would win considering he was manufactured to be the best of the best at everything.

There's a bunch of other stuff to consider, IBO has the whole "plugin to control the suit" without that Mikazuki is probably a very poor pilot but if you include it he's probably better than Amuro. Similarly what about the zero program or w/e it was called that Heero use? Or the super godlike power that Setsuna use?

Lol at Shinji, he's clearly out of his league.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru from Macross? he was a mediocre pilot!! Okay he was good. But he was shot down numerous times throughout the show including the biggest battle in the franchise. Max, however, was an unrivaled killing machine, and would continue to do so in later series. Roy was a better pilot than Hikaru. Miria is a better pilot that Hikaru. Isamu! Guld! Most mani characters are better pilots than Hikaru in Macross!!

Also, Noriko, where are you? This list is incomplete without some Gunbuster.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:

It's simple, really: Kira is strong (he's not, his machine just has aim hax but w/e) and Shinn beat Kira. Therefore Shinn is better than Kira.

So then wait by that standard Athrun is best in the Seed universe because not only did he beat Shinn he also beat another gundam at the same time. Either way we can all agree Seed Destiny is a flaming piece of hot garbage that should be buried and forgotten for the betterment of mankind.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

This is Girge from Broken Blade. How good is he? He was released from jail because his skills were needed. He was in jail in the first place because he wiped the floor with an entire squad of his fellow recruits by himself. He was given a captured enemy unit which was difficult to use even in its native country and he mastered it in no time. He takes on an infamous elite squad of enemy soldiers by himself without breaking a sweat. Another one he takes on when his unit is heavily damaged and it even loses a leg. In space losing a leg is no big deal but this is happening on Earth (or whatever planet it is) and he still effortlessly trounces his foes. He even USES THE BROKEN LEG STUMP TO STAB AN ENEMY THROUGH THE FACE. He doesn't have psychic powers or anything (okay he can use magic but everyone except the MC can) he's just THAT DAMN GOOD.

I actually forgot about Break Blade which I actually really like the manga.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Oh man, I'd totally forgotten about him. Yeah he should get everyone's votes. Dude was vicious.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
To me Duke Fleed of Ufo Robo Grendizer is the Best Super Robot Pilot!
2) Sanshiro Tsuwabuki pilot of Gaiking (1976)
3) Ryoma pilot of Getter Dragon Getter Robo G
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Well Amuro is a space mystic, so of course he'd win, but if you take super power out of the equation Kira would win considering he was manufactured to be the best of the best at everything.

Kira is also a newtype though so if you take the space mystic powers out, he loses it too.

Vaisaga wrote:

Shin 'won' when he had all the odds stacked in his favor from wearing Kira out with a prolonged battle, having a gundam capable of mid fight repairs, and then in the end it was more of a draw. Kira also smacked him down immediately with SF. Besides, with your logic, Athrun is still above Shin so...

And whoever said Kira was all his machine... He has several unique piloting feats like going jedi with his beam sabers.

Anyway, I'd probably go with Amuro depending on how highly newtype powers are weighted. If we're counting covering your MS with an indestructible beam blocking barrier and stuff, then I'd go for Camille.
Legendzerox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So where is Girge? I have a big problem with this list. https://www.facebook.com/WishsongX/videos/881344288605452/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5