• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Fans Choose the Strongest Robot Pilots

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:

Yeah I was thinking Kallen from Code Geass, but she's not even on the suggested list, and there's no option to add our own choice this time -_-

I was thinking the same thing when I originally saw this list on another site. I mean, Lelouch is on this list, and he certainly isn't in Kallen's league.

It is as if this poll had a secret "No females need apply" sign hung on it.
frubam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
This is Girge from Broken Blade. How good is he? He was released from jail because his skills were needed. He was in jail in the first place because he wiped the floor with an entire squad of his fellow recruits by himself. He was given a captured enemy unit which was difficult to use even in its native country and he mastered it in no time. He takes on an infamous elite squad of enemy soldiers by himself without breaking a sweat. Another one he takes on when his unit is heavily damaged and it even loses a leg. In space losing a leg is no big deal but this is happening on Earth (or whatever planet it is) and he still effortlessly trounces his foes. He even USES THE BROKEN LEG STUMP TO STAB AN ENEMY THROUGH THE FACE. He doesn't have psychic powers or anything (okay he can use magic but everyone except the MC can) he's just THAT DAMN GOOD.

Oh man, I'd totally forgotten about him. Yeah he should get everyone's votes. Dude was vicious.

Dang, me too D0=! Can't believe I forgot about him! I remember seeing his repel of the enemy forces in the TV series(the fight not shown in the anime)... man, everything he did was just amazing! It was a dang shame the author killed him off; I don't think s/he knew what s/he was throwing away by killing off Girge.
CR85747

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
No Roger Smith Crying or Very sad
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Well Amuro is a space mystic, so of course he'd win, but if you take super power out of the equation Kira would win considering he was manufactured to be the best of the best at everything.

Kira is also a newtype though so if you take the space mystic powers out, he loses it too.

But Kira barely use them, you could remove any reference to new type in SEED and you'd get the same results, it was there more because it to be in had to rather than an actual story element.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought Haman Karn would be an option. Doesn't she beat the crap out of Char in ZZ Gundam and only loses to Judeau because she was holding back? I haven't watched ZZ Gundam in forever so I may have remembered things wrong though.

Last edited by xifeng.hu on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
CR85747 wrote:
No Roger Smith Crying or Very sad

Big O was a flop in Japan and had it's original run of 26 episodes reduced to 13. It was only because of positive reception internationally that they made the final 13 episodes at all.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Kira is both a Coordinator, an ultimate coordinator plus he is all but stated to also be a newtype. So he is basically a Super Super human with Super human abilities. So he is by far the best pilot in any verse across any series. The only pilot who might be ahead of him is Kurou from Demonbane because he may or may not be an actual god.
ew121

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea why Lelouch is in there at all. He is canonically a terrible pilot, and he has feats that show he's a terrible pilot.

Tanikaze Nagate should be there, and so should Girge.

Half the ones in that list are people that get carried by their mechs having higher specs than the rest of the characters in their anime.

Last edited by ew121 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
From Bright Noa's point of view, Amuro won hands down.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
I have no idea why Lelouch is in there at all. He is canonically a terrible pilot, and he has feats that show he's a terrible pilot.

I dunno about terrible, he seem to be about as good as the average soldier, but yeah outside of Shinji he might be the worse pilot on the list by far and definitely not the best in code geass.

What about Dingo Egret from ZOE2? He was pretty good, although zoe mech seems to be control to neural link or something like that.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Pretty boring list if you ask me. It needs Ryoma Nagare from Getter Robo Armageddon and Koji Kabuto from Shin Mazinger Z Impact.
tsukumo.yuma.98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure if they mean strongest as in piloting capability, physical capability, or fighting tactics.
Ether way there is one that isn't on this list that should be, because in all those 3 areas I know they outdo some of the characters on this list, and they are Nagare Ryoma, even Hayato jin.

Spawn29 wrote:
Pretty boring list if you ask me. It needs Ryoma Nagare from Getter Robo Armageddon and Koji Kabuto from Shin Mazinger Z Impact.

I don't think koji should be on this list, he still had a lot to learn in most Mazinger series and in Grendizer, as well as openings and weaknesses.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Hikaru from Macross? he was a mediocre pilot!! Okay he was good. But he was shot down numerous times throughout the show including the biggest battle in the franchise. Max, however, was an unrivaled killing machine, and would continue to do so in later series. Roy was a better pilot than Hikaru. Miria is a better pilot that Hikaru. Isamu! Guld! Most mani characters are better pilots than Hikaru in Macross!!
MC's always have an edge in any poll. You could replace the word "strongest" with any other adjective, and Hikaru would most likely still win.

And for me I don't care about strongest anyway, my favorite mecha pilot will always be Laughing

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
So not a single female pilot on here, huh? Figures.

Yeah I was thinking Kallen from Code Geass, but she's not even on the suggested list, and there's no option to add our own choice this time -_-

This. I don't see how Lelouch makes the list but not Kallen. And its pure skill, she doesn't have a spoiler[Geass pushing her on] like Suzaku. Anyways, it annoyed me so I signed in and used the "Other" feature to nominate her.

And if there should be anyone from NGE, I think it should probably be Asuka. I mean I don't think Shinji could have fought like she did in EoE.

And if we are talking no "high sync rates", special suits or other magical fairy dust than yea Girge from Broken Blade and Tanikaze Nagate from Knights of Sidonia should probably be on the list. And maybe Noriko from Gunbuster, because she has "GUTS!"
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
All this talk reminded me that while I watched the original OVAs, I still need to watch the Broken Blade tv series...

Also, I agree with those above who commented on Shinji and Lelouch not being good enough pilots to be on this list. Shinji doesn't even make sense and Lelouch is a battlefield tactician, not a front line mech vs mech fighter.

As for the poll, it's a bit hard to separate the pilots from their machines, especially considering most of them are usually piloting one of, if not the, best machines in the show at that point (until their opponent gets a better one and beats them, then they get the bestest one ;p)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5