• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Rewrite' TV Anime Gets 2nd Season Next January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucio542

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
well its expected.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Are BDs of this out in Japan yet? How's it selling so far?
IceKirby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I can't say I'm looking forward to the 2nd season in the slightest.

You should. As underwhelming as 1st season was, everyone who played the VN kind of expected this since they had only 13 episodes to fit stuff from 40 hours of game into an original route.
But this announcement already made clear that 2nd season will be more faithful to the original material, and they will 13 episodes this time is actually enough.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
IceKirby wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I can't say I'm looking forward to the 2nd season in the slightest.

You should. As underwhelming as 1st season was, everyone who played the VN kind of expected this since they had only 13 episodes to fit stuff from 40 hours of game into an original route.
But this announcement already made clear that 2nd season will be more faithful to the original material, and they will 13 episodes this time is actually enough.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't really excite me considering I thought Terra was the least interesting of the routes. Refrain it is not. Course, it could be the greatest route of any visual novel ever written, if they poor presentation quality of this season continues into next there will be no saving it.

Why do modern Key addaptations suck so much...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
Why do modern Key addaptations suck so much...

I kind of wonder if the issue is the decline of VNs in general, and that their anime adaptations are a trailing indicator.

I went over to someanithing, put the series data in a spreadsheet, and sorted by type and sales, to see if the sales data in Japan supports this hypothesis. What it really looks like is that you have two VN-based franchises (Fate and UtaPri) that are still selling strong as anime adaptations, and then pretty much nothing else in the past few years. The top 10 VN-based anime sales all time are all Fate, UtaPri, and Key (Clannad, Air, Clannad After Story, and Kanon), and the Key stuff is nearly a decade old.

Sales of VN-based anime in the last few years?

2016:

• Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 383
  • Schwarzesmarken: 1,220
  • Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: 1,257
  • Hakuouki Otogisoushi: 1,697

• Utawarerumono Itsuwari no Kamen: 3,558
  • Grisaia no Rakuen: 3,671
  • Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Revolutions: 35,973
  • Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works Part II: 36,004

I dont want to copy off too much more data from their site without permission, but if you do the same analysis (sort by source material type, and then chronological), it's pretty clear that there used to be more VN adaptations (13 in 2007), and they generally sold somewhat better. Rewrite may just suffer from being in a declining genre.

(Also, looking at the sales data, f'ing Otoboku: Maidens Are Falling for Me sold 10,514 back in the day. WTF, Japan?)
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
Perhaps, but it still seem's stange. As you note, Key properties are right up there with sales numbers as far as addaptations of VN's go, the name Key is well known both in Japan and in the west (as much as a VN company can be) and there's a certain prestige there that doesn't seem to surround many other VN companies. I would have though that alone would be enough to entice more investment than the bottom dollar efforts that have been Rewrite and Little Busters.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
Perhaps, but it still seem's stange. As you note, Key properties are right up there with sales numbers as far as addaptations of VN's go, the name Key is well known both in Japan and in the west (as much as a VN company can be) and there's a certain prestige there that doesn't seem to surround many other VN companies. I would have though that alone would be enough to entice more investment than the bottom dollar efforts that have been Rewrite and Little Busters.

Not an unreasonable expectation, especially given that even the workmanlike JC Staff versions of Little Busters! sold about 10K each. And the not-a-VN-but-still-Key Charlotte did OK too. It'll be interesting to see how Rewrite sells, and whether a second season turns out to be justified.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Of ReLife and Rewrite, I really wish it was Rewrite that had been released all at once. Something about the direction or story made this a horrible show to watch week to week. I could never exactly remeber what happened the weeks before, it absolutely refused to stick.Even this final episode, I started watching it thinking "Huh? what's going on? Oh yeah, Instant forest apocalypse." You'd think that's an event I'd remember happening just a week ago.

So one thing is definite about the sequel: it may premiere in January but I'm not watching a bit of it until a March marathon.

But yeah, even being ignorant of the game it was obvious to me that there was more planned. They introduced too many threads that never got addressed to end it there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I kind of wonder if the issue is the decline of VNs in general, and that their anime adaptations are a trailing indicator.

The main problem, I'd say, is that producers are no longer willing to give 4 cours to a series like they did with Clannad (and even technically Little Busters!). VNs tend to be really long and usually 2 cours would be the bare minimum. Add to that the fact that Rewrite is actually one of the longest, and you end up with this mess.

Also, don't forget about Steins;Gate, the best VN adaptation of all time. It's been 5 years (damn), but I'd say it still barely counts as a recent success.
I really hope Chaos;Child gets the proper treatment it deserves...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2