• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Strange Versions of Western Historical Figures

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Interesting list indeed Smile

I'm familiar with a few on the list and others I was quite surprise with(for instance Eva Braun Shocked).

Jack the ripper anime incarnation was also in Soul Eater(first episode).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Heh, some weird Dan Brown type stuff in there, especially the part about Beethoven creating musical WMDs. But you're not supposed to take their depictions seriously, of course, whereas Brown's books are presented so seriously that it convined some people those historical figures actually did what they did in the books. I think Brown's time in the spotlight is over though.

Were there no anime series with Nikola Tesla in it? That's a favorite of western science fiction storytellers, as he had a lot of incomplete projects and much of his notes were lost when his lab burned down.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Neat list! I actually hadn't realized Fritz Lang was a historical figure until this semester, when I took an introductory film course... >.<

I skimmed past the Fate/Zero and Escaflowne entries, since I try to avoid spoilers for series I'm looking forward to watching, but I noticed the name "Sir Isaac Newton" for the latter. That should be interesting to see, haha.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
I think the Alexander The Great in Peter Chung's Alexander anime was a lot stranger than his incarnation in Fate/Zero. At least by the Fate franchise's standards, their interpretation was pretty straight forward. They just made the character likeable is all.

Great article though. Learned a lot of things I wasn't aware of. Very Happy
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Why does Urobuchi/Nasu use "Iskandar", the Arabic-Persian name instead of "Aléxandros"? The man was Macedonian, not Persian.

Ignorance at its best.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Seems like a good time to revisit this column, with Classicaloid coming out. I've actually seen and enjoyed three of the shows highlighted too (R.O.D, Chevalier, and Escaflowne).

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Were there no anime series with Nikola Tesla in it? That's a favorite of western science fiction storytellers, as he had a lot of incomplete projects and much of his notes were lost when his lab burned down.

He's never had an anime role as far as I know, but he is an Archer-class servant in the Fate/Grand Order mobile game.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why does Urobuchi/Nasu use "Iskandar", the Arabic-Persian name instead of "Aléxandros"? The man was Macedonian, not Persian.

Ignorance at its best.

dunno, I am still waiting for fate grand order's quetzalcoalt to be a native american, where the most important point of his legend is that he was caucasian.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tesla's inventions have a huge impact on Dimension W but he doesn't physically appear. That's all I can think of.

He does have a physical appearance in the Capcom video game Dark Void. You interact with him and everything.

...But that is a horrible video game that you should never play lol!
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Seikon No Qwaser getting the nod here, they use a lot of western figures like the pope and such in their story.

It's a shame that in the anime Silver being Braun was really skirted around but in the manga Katja takes no time to say that's who she is and even berates her for "Still believing the lie of that small upstart boy"

This is a 5th grader berating a 100 year old woman for her political veins, it's a hilariously delicious scene for people who like Katja and her Empress Role.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
As for the poll, may I nominate Ban Yamano/Van Yamano from Danball Senki/LBX? I know he wasn't really pilot, but he was controlling a robot and he came through a lot throughout the series, so in my opinion, he deserves to be there.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
My poll vote went to Char. Who else in the list, I conjecture, can match his technical and strategic acumen, his often malicious cunning, his penchant for patience and nerve, and his ever-composed, dandy charms? To think that Kamille outranked him in a previous poll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
Tesla's inventions have a huge impact on Dimension W but he doesn't physically appear. That's all I can think of.

He does have a physical appearance in the Capcom video game Dark Void. You interact with him and everything.

...But that is a horrible video game that you should never play lol!

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about Dimension W. It was fun, but quite forgettable.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
When you said:-
"I rocked out to Ozzy Osbourne's Prince of Darkness album all morning"
You cannot imagine the false hope that gave me. I was expecting you to talk about the anime that Ozzy Osbourne featured in.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
If this List was current, I wonder if any of the figures in Nobunaga the Fool would have made the cut...or Nobunagun, for that matter,,,
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: When I first watched Conqueror of Shamaballa, my dad asked me "Are you watching an animated movie about World War II?" I was like what the heck since I'm pretty good in History's lessons
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3