• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Strange Versions of Western Historical Figures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gore17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why does Urobuchi/Nasu use "Iskandar", the Arabic-Persian name instead of "Aléxandros"? The man was Macedonian, not Persian.

Ignorance at its best.

dunno, I am still waiting for fate grand order's quetzalcoalt to be a native american, where the most important point of his legend is that he was caucasian.

Actually, Alexander adopted multiple Persian customs and Persian fashion after conquering it. The name is a reference to that fact, which is supported by the fact that when a younger version of him is summoned in the Fate/Grand Order game, he goes by Alexander.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
If this List was current, I wonder if any of the figures in Nobunaga the Fool would have made the cut...or Nobunagun, for that matter,,,

Nope, just Mr. Crowley!

If this List was current, I wonder if any of the figures in Nobunaga the Fool would have made the cut...or Nobunagun, for that matter,,,

Nobunaga has his own List: http://4NN.cx/.61657
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least the Isaac Newton we got in Escaflowne wasn't the same as the apple-obsessed bishie we got in Marie & Gali...
Or the ecchi Galileo. Or the genius-kid Thomas Edison. Or the hip-hop DJ Sir John Fleming. Or the robot Charles Darwin. Shocked
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Nope, just Mr. Crowley!

Why just him? I thought Nobunagun's crazy take on Jack the Ripper was rather inspired. Smile

Time Travel Girl is interesting too for its wealth of historical western scientists, which they portray fairly, sorta, true to life. At least they get the big facts rights. Smile
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
To Lynzee: Can we have a list about enjoyable fillers nin anime please? It's ona of the things this column misses
Redgomotor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Srly how come king arthur from the fate series didn't make it here i mean you have a badass king become a little girl
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Issac Newton, alchemy was the closest thing to chemistry back in the day.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
To Lynzee: Can we have a list about enjoyable fillers nin anime please? It's ona of the things this column misses

This is a really good idea but I'm not sure I could write it since my anime knowledge doesn't extend to a lot of really long-running series (i.e. the kinds that get filler).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
The latest poll has go to be one of the most vague I've ever seen on this site. Who is the strongest pilot? Well, ANN, you first have to define "strong." Do you mean the strongest wit? The strongest piloting skill? The strongest fighter? The most raw strength? How am I supposed to know which character to vote for if I don't even know what I'm voting for, ANN?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
Redgomotor wrote:
Srly how come king arthur from the fate series didn't make it here i mean you have a badass king become a little girl

I think it's because King Arthur wasn't a real person.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
I detect a distinct lack of Strike Witches. You can't get any stranger than genderswapped versions of World War II fighter aces. Then again, when it comes to Strike Witches, where do you start?
BankaiKitty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
For the poll I put:

Roger Smith from Big O.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
I like it when an Anime series includes a historical figure but what's even better is when the show is entirely about historical figures which is why I'm really excited for Drifters this fall season. Also my vote for most strongest pilot goes to Simon the dude's just Badass. Cool
Ownsin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised he listed Rider but he didn't list Saber?
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
I detect a distinct lack of Strike Witches. You can't get any stranger than genderswapped versions of World War II fighter aces. Then again, when it comes to Strike Witches, where do you start?

Um, Strike Witches is anthropomorphic, which is based on lifeless object. The same name to real life person is just a tribute and barely resemble them.

In Haifuri, cats are named based on real life captain/commander in IJN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3