• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
My favorite show of the season was Love Live Sunshine. Apart from its shaky finale, almost every episode was absolutely enjoyable. It was also a pleasant surprise, as this is my first idol show. I was expecting fluff and some mild drama, like other lesser slice of life shows, but my, what I got astounding. Characters were extremely likeable (every single one of them) and each of them very relatable stories to tell. I also loved that Chika (best Love Live Sunshine) wasn't just the airheaded lead we always get: she was a flawed, relatable driving force for all the girls. I also have to give an honorable mention at the transformation of Dia, from awful class president to a very enthusiastic member of the group, and to the amazing character animation.

My runner up is Mob Psycho 100. It took me by surprise how different this show was from One Punch Man. The fact that the characters from Mob were actual, well developed people who suffer from lots of anxieties I could relate was great. The only problem I had with was the comedy, which was even more boring than the repetitive humor from OPM (except for Reigen).

The worst show of the season goes to The Seven Deadly Sins: Signs of Holy War. I haven't lots of anime this season (only 4-5), and my choice would've been Re:Zero if it hadn't got that better from before (the third arc was very impressive and entertaining). So I had to choose these specials because, apart from how it links the first season with the upcoming one (using actual plot from the manga), there's nothing else to see. The stories were boring and cliché, and almost did nothing to develop the characters (at least we got to see Merlin wearing the Boar's Hat costume). Only watch the final 5 minutes of each episode and you'll be OK.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Best: Thunderbolt Fantasy
Pitch perfect proportion of personality and plot plus puppets with powers piledriving other puppets into pulverized particles of powder.

Runner-up:
I couldn't decide between Food Wars, Love Live Sunshine, and Danganropa so my runner-up goes to my anticipation for Sound Euphonium. Just inject it into my vein already!

Worst: Re:Zero
For me it was the one-two combo of boredom and irritation that is difficult to achieve but they somehow pulled it off. Kudos.

Quickest Drop: Time Travel Girl
I want to travel back in time and get my 15 minutes back.

Patience Wearing Thin: Jojo's
Resurrect Dio already.

Cute: New Game!
Sure, I'm game.

Confession Booth: Prisma Ilyia
The story is awesome and those fight scenes sure are impressive...
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm excluding sequels and leftovers for this (Macross Delta would've been AOTS if I didn't have this rule, BTW), but here we go.

Best: Mob Psycho 100
From its rich storytelling to its fantastic animation, Mob is great from start to finish. It always keeps me on the edge of my seat, and the characters (particularly Reigen, who will likely end up as my favorite male character of the year) are really good as well. All in one of the best anime of this year in general.

Honorable Mentions: 91 Days, Amanchu, New Game, Handa-kun (nothing compared to Barakamon but a really good comedic show nevertheless), Active Raid (its split-cour so yeah it counts)

Worst: Mahou Gakuen HxH
Remember Shinmai Maou no Testament? Well take that and make it 5 times worse. That's HxH in a nutshell. Also a loli rape scene. Where's Chris Hansen when you need him?

Honorable Mentions: Qualidea Code, Taboo Tattoo, Rewrite, Zestiria (unlike Rewrite I have no hopes for the 2nd half being better)

Most Disappointing: Rewrite
Believe it or not, I thought the first episode of this had a decent amount of potential, but my god did it turn into a trainwreck in the 2nd half. Hope it pulls a Grisaia and season 2 is actually watchable.

Honorable Mentions: Battery, DAYS, Servamp's ending

Most Surprising: Time Travel Shoujo
Surprisingly really good for a series targeted at young children. Judging from the previous posts, however, it seems like I'm in the minority when it comes to this series. No big deal really though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Best: Re:Zero
Not much to add, but it felt like exactly what was needed for a genre I am a fan of, and was well made.

Runner Up: Mob Psycho 100
Again not much to add because it has got some of the most consistent praise.

Now I think it was a bit harsh on Hatsukoi Monster, which I actually kind of enjoyed because it never took itself seriously from a parodied genre I think does take itself a bit too much so.
For worst, I can agree that Cheer Boys was overstuffed and boring, Taboo Tatoo was a mess, Bananya was pointless, Hitori no Shita the outcast was bottom of the bin, Mahou Gakuen HxH was offensive, but these don't compare to what I actually believe is.

Worst: Scared Rider Xechs
Who watched this? As far as I know very few did, the topic I made for it last week has had a total of 22 views including the ones I made to check if my posts came out right. The reason I made that post is because watching that goddamn show was making me so angry that the only thing that got me through the last few episodes was that I could write one long post spitting venom at it. By itself it is not even that offensive compared to others, but the pain I felt watching it made me hate the days I had to get myself to watch it, and perhaps further poisoned the shows I also watched that day that I was not much of a fan of either. And yet no one is even talking about this show except for me, and I hate it!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised how well Love Live Sunshine did. Sure I thought it was very good but I didn't expect it to get any AOTS or runner-ups.

I guess I'll put mine but I don't have much to add to each at this point.

Best: Re:Zero
Runner-up: Mob Psycho but just barely
Chaos Dragon: Taboo Tattoo - Like others I had some hopes its fight cinematography would make the story bearable, but alas it wasn't enough to keep it afloat. Clown indeed. It wasn't Chaos Dragon of the Year material like Big Order but good it was not.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Worst: Scared Rider Xechs
Who watched this? As far as I know very few did, the topic I made for it last week has had a total of 22 views including the ones I made to check if my posts came out right. The reason I made that post is because watching that goddamn show was making me so angry that the only thing that got me through the last few episodes was that I could write one long post spitting venom at it. By itself it is not even that offensive compared to others, but the pain I felt watching it made me hate the days I had to get myself to watch it, and perhaps further poisoned the shows I also watched that day that I was not much of a fan of either. And yet no one is even talking about this show except for me, and I hate it!

Glad I dropped that after the first episode. And it doesn't sound like it was enjoyable hatewatch material either. Probably would have been for the best to drop it instead of making yourself watch it. Heck I'll give your topic a view to see what I missed.

Also nice to see the love for Saiki. Personally I went the opposite way as Amy and much prefer watching it as a short. Frankly I couldn't wait a whole week to watch the episodes especially since the shorts are right there.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And yet no one is even talking about this show except for me, and I hate it!

That is the reason I drop a series the moment it displeases me. After watching the Scared Rider Xechs preview I could clearly see it was not meant for me, at that moment I think someone else might like all the series that I do not and forget about it. Watching a series you dislike poisons people with hate, they start looking for reviews/forum comments that shit all over said series and the last stage is start shitposting yourself every time said series is mentioned.

I do not mean to say you Duskypredator has gone to the darkside, but many others have. The anime famine/feast cycle has ended, lets apply the wisdom of Anton Ego from Ratatouille "I don't *like* food; I LOVE it. If I don't love it, I don't *swallow*.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The reason I made that post is because watching that goddamn show was making me so angry that the only thing that got me through the last few episodes was that I could write one long post spitting venom at it.

No offense DP, but you seem to watch through completion a lot of shows that you hate,and you don't seem to particularly enjoy the hatewatch experience. In fact, you often sound like the sole act of watching them infuriates you. Maybe you should consider dropping the things that satisfy you the least? I'm not telling you to stop watching things you hate because lord knows I take a very special kind of pleasure in certain hate-watches (Sailor Moon Crystal, for instance), but if half the series you watch per season make you so furious and frustrated maybe dropping the ones that bring you less enjoyment/entertainment would be way healthier?
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

The reason I made that post is because watching that goddamn show was making me so angry that the only thing that got me through the last few episodes was that I could write one long post spitting venom at it.

No offense DP, but you seem to watch through completion a lot of shows that you hate,and you don't seem to particularly enjoy the hatewatch experience. In fact, you often sound like the sole act of watching them infuriates you. Maybe you should consider dropping the things that satisfy you the least? I'm not telling you to stop watching things you hate because lord knows I take a very special kind of pleasure in certain hate-watches (Sailor Moon Crystal, for instance), but if half the series you watch per season make you so furious and frustrated maybe dropping the ones that bring you less enjoyment/entertainment would be way healthier?

No, no, I get it. I hated Re:zero and all I wanted to do was say how much I hated it when it ended, that frustration is really cathartic sometimes.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...Worst: Scared Rider Xechs
Who watched this? As far as I know very few did, the topic I made for it last week has had a total of 22 views including the ones I made to check if my posts came out right...
Where was that? I posted after you in the Taboo Tattoo comments, but I watched this show and didn't think it was all that bad, better than Rewrite or Taboo Tattoo in fact. SRX had a coherent dramatic plot (Rewrite didn't) and had some unexpected twists which made it moderately interesting (unlike Taboo Tattoo which plot twists came without any lead-up and so were baffling). Sure, it was juvenile middle-school level but it handled some of the drama in reasonably mature fashion. Taboo Tattoo had a string from Ep4-Ep8 where it was ironically funny and so had some entertainment value before the writers decided to make it a "revenge story".

But Rewrite takes the prize for worst of the season because it wasn't funny or interesting or even coherent and had no point that I could detect and in the end spoiler[everyone dies]. Doesn't make me want to see the VN and the fact that it is getting a second season is incomprehensible. It can't be because lots of fans loved the first season...

Dishonorable Mention goes to HybridxHeart who's concept was so offensive to me at least that I stopped at the 3 minute mark of Ep1 but for grins I checked out Ep12 to see how it would end. OMG it got worse Shocked spoiler[When forcefully getting a girl turned on in front of friends and classmates is done to humiliate her (oh, it's just embarrassing...)which gets her more turned on] I can't express how vile that is...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
That is the reason I drop a series the moment it displeases me. After watching the Scared Rider Xechs preview I could clearly see it was not meant for me, at that moment I think someone else might like all the series that I do not and forget about it. Watching a series you dislike poisons people with hate, they start looking for reviews/forum comments that shit all over said series and the last stage is start shitposting yourself every time said series is mentioned.

I do not mean to say you Duskypredator has gone to the darkside, but many others have. The anime famine/feast cycle has ended, lets apply the wisdom of Anton Ego from Ratatouille "I don't *like* food; I LOVE it. If I don't love it, I don't *swallow*.

I was too far along before I realised that I was getting no joy and it was unlikely to change, while I had been making an effort to try things out of my comfort zone, and I thought that it might be a chance to add to my list of shows II rated low. Gave it my first Awful rating.

I showed that I was paying attention to the show, and I think I was fairly even on parts. I was actually kind of hoping I could see other opinions on it.

I actually can enjoy a hate watch, Big Order, Cerberus, Dance with Devils and Taboo Tattoo kind of earn points for being so bad they are good. I would even say I took something away from watching.

I have seen people rate some shows quite lowly, despite the likelihood they are mostly watching things they like, while my stuff tends to be rather high, the majority being above a Decent which is a (5/10). Actually I just ran down some numbers of my statistics. Out of the 744 shows I have watched and given a rating to my amounts are:
20 Masterpiece
101 Excellent
176 Very good
216 Good
116 Decent
59 So-so
30 Not really good
20 Weak
5 Bad
1 Awful

I think that it takes a show to be So-so to start to be what I would consider a bad time, and including it and bellow that together, that is only about 15% of what I have watched. I do consider them somewhat valuable data to my thoughts on anime and my interest. Before I did not even know if I could find something I could rate so low.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
...Worst: Scared Rider Xechs
Who watched this? As far as I know very few did, the topic I made for it last week has had a total of 22 views including the ones I made to check if my posts came out right...
Where was that? I posted after you in the Taboo Tattoo comments, but I watched this show and didn't think it was all that bad, better than Rewrite or Taboo Tattoo in fact. SRX had a coherent dramatic plot (Rewrite didn't) and had some unexpected twists which made it moderately interesting (unlike Taboo Tattoo which plot twists came without any lead-up and so were baffling). Sure, it was juvenile middle-school level but it handled some of the drama in reasonably mature fashion. Taboo Tattoo had a string from Ep4-Ep8 where it was ironically funny and so had some entertainment value before the writers decided to make it a "revenge story".

It is in the Series Discussion forum (recently split from the general anime forum), you are welcome to add your own thoughts so that the topic is not just me. And honestly it is just tastes, but my feelings were enough for me to write 2,000 words about it. My biggest complaint was about how poorly music was mixed into the story as it made no sense why they had to make a band and put so much energy into trying to make the band famous.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
But Rewrite takes the prize for worst of the season because it wasn't funny or interesting or even coherent and had no point that I could detect and in the end spoiler[everyone dies]. Doesn't make me want to see the VN and the fact that it is getting a second season is incomprehensible to me. It can't be because lots of fans loved the first season...

I am a fan of Key stuff, and in general I liked the characters and setting more than Little Busters which got a second season to tell its entire story. My general take of the end is that it focused on what Key has done with other stories in terms of multiple timelines in reference to the routes that the player takes, so really spoiler[the everyone dies ending] raises the stakes. Despite some rushes I think that it was better put together than Charlotte, and how I would say they managed to pull together the shift of characters leaving and a character coming in, I think they managed it well. I do think it failed as a complete story, but I expect a second season might have enough space now that everything is set up to have a more coherent story.

Oh, and back to me not dropping things that I hate, I refused to pick up the second season of Active Raid, because I did not enjoy my time with the first season at all, and suspected I would be torturing myself.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks DP! I didn't know that area was there, but I usually have enough to say in the comments sections of the shows so I think I'll stick to that. I could write a page or two on some things as well, but I hate walls-o-text and doubt anyone would want to read it anyway (best to keep to relatively short pithy comments). As it is, some people dislike what I do write! You opened my can-o-worms by bringing up Charlotte, so here is my extended worst list for the last couple of years to compare with this seasons entries (disclaimer: these are shows I thought might be good but found to be bad or thought might be entertainingly bad, there are many shows that I didn't care to sample)
Hateometer
11. Kumamiko- liked it but the last episode killed it, dead
10. Big Order - It was entertainingly bad
9. SRX - Not too bad, but yeah, a band/Idol group, moodiness and weird motorcycles just 'cause plus Gakt! (no, it's Takt..Confused )
8. Chaos Dragon (for you zernzle500 Cool ) It just wasn't that bad
7. Lost Village- C!'s favorite comedy, for me, unfunny waste of time Mad !
6. BBK/BRNK- WTF until the last few episodes
5. Charlotte- Insufferably Lame second half
4. Recently my Sister's Unusual- Offensive
3. Taboo Tattoo - Plot was a train wreak with ridiculous yuri before the writers said FU
2. HybridxHeart - Offensive!
1. Rewrite - don't know what is happening, don't care, what a waste of time Mad Mad

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:54 am; edited 3 times in total
#RoseWolf777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
Judging by the reviews of Cheer Boys! it doesn't sound that bad. In fact,it's the kind of anime I like to watch. I was greatly afraid that it would end up being like Free! (or shounen-ai hinted),but that doesn't seem to be the case. I thank you for the great review of Cheer Boys! I would gladly watch it now without...worry. I just hope,really and greatly hope that Yuri on Ice does NOT end up like Free! I would love to watch it without having certain content that's being constantly being shoved down my throat.EVERY.DAY. -__-

I'm probably going to be hated or be called many names among other things,but this is my personal opinion and preference.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
2. HybridxHeart - Offensive!

I also did a long post about HybridxHeart, where having watched it all I could contest to it being borderline rape, or at the very least could encourage it since it effectively tries to remove the "no means no" defence. It actually earned a "Weak" from me, specifically for a few guilty pleasure parts (that were not rape), a character I liked, and a couple interesting fights.

Personal preference can effect the rating one would give. I mean one of my favourite shows of the season was Ange Vierge, which was a bit of a guilty pleasure. An all female cast with a plenty of (censored) nudity, the girls being a hodgepodge of various tropes, there was a cheesy character building and at times could be heavy handed. But the goofy parts in my opinion, I felt like it could be both not serious and pull off weight of characters, and despite the scandalous situations I felt like there was respect for the characters despite two being just for comic relief from being incompetent. Not everyone is going to think that, even Blood- hated it and he and I can be on the same wavelength often with smut.

@#RoseWolf777
In my personal opinion, I did not quite hate Cheer Boys, for the most part I liked it, but it was kind of by the end I realised I never got attached to the large extended cast that were suddenly thrown in, and my opinion actually was that I was bored with the series. Almost everyone seems to agree that Sugita's character was the best part of it, and one could like the other core cast too. I think people grew a little disappointed expectations can make an experience worse, which is probably what happened with how it ended. Hope that if you watch it you do like it though.

Not everyone has the same opinion of Free, it was one of the shows I watched to get out of my comfort zone, and I would be lying if I said that some of my fondness for it was not for ironic reasons.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...the mystery of Subaru's sudden appearance in his new world is explained...

It was? In the anime? When did that happen? I guess it went completely over my head. Confused

I was wondering this as well - not sure what Rebecca was remembering when she takled about this or the mystery of the witch being resolved in any meaningful way by the anime.

I guess maybe I overinterpreted? It is a hazard of my English prof life. Laughing But anyway, where I got that was from spoiler[the revelation that Puck was either Emilia's mother or channeling her somehow, along with the fact that most of the times Subaru died, it was because he made a mistake that would result in either Emilia's death or him being unable to be on her side. From there, and the witch's final words to him, it seemed to me that he had been brought to the fantasy world by the witch in order to protect her daughter, which led me to the thought that perhaps the witch is not the monster she's been made out to be, but instead, like Emilia, a victim of racial prejudice. Subaru, as an otaku, would have fewer issues with this than people from the actual world, and so would be a better choice to protect her. So therefore, "what it's all for" is less "Subaru gets Emilia" or something romantic like that and more "Subaru keeps the witch's daughter alive." This also allows for Subaru to have been completely manipulated if the the witch (and Emilia) does turn out to be evil after all.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8