• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Female Anime Directors Worth Checking Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rychy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I have not watched many of these shows, I'll have to check some of them out. I have been meaning to watch Sound! Euphonium, and I'm watching Koe no Katachi the second it's streaming, available for download, or in theaters subtitled in english. So I guess Naoko Yamada is on my radar.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
New Poll: I voted Skip Beat. Kyōko's misadventures of outperforming spoiler[her former love crush] can get quite hilarious every now and then. Wink

I'll second that! Love Skip Beat!.

Is Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun considered shoujo? Obviously it's about a shoujo manga artist, but I never really thought of it as one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Where's Mari Okada? She made Gundam great again.

i was wondering about that. if any female can make a gundam series likable again where the franchise have been male orienated for years should definitely have a mention in the list. however its more or less a shoewin that miss saya yamamoto would get the top spot.the work she did for champloo , and the lupin the third movie is more than enough to earn that spot. (though i wasnt too fond of space dandy and michiko & hatchin)

also while i can get simon is a likeable mecha pilot, he sure as hell isnt the strongest pilot. especially against herro and wing zero (who should at least be in the top three). suzaku? yes but not simon. and definitely not lelouch who should even be on this list or at least be dead last on the list. his strong suits is with his brains,not his brawn as a pilot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Rychy wrote:
Is Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun considered shoujo? Obviously it's about a shoujo manga artist, but I never really thought of it as one.

I'd argue it's josei???????

SkerllyF wrote:
Are there people that still think that SMC is watchable because the animation improved? Where are the ones that avoid watching the series for the writing, like me? Is better to watch the 90s one

Season 1 of Crystal showed me how bad of an idea it was to directly adapt the manga to screen almost 1:1 and that the 90's version was smart for going after a completely different tone. If Seasons 2 and 3 did better, then good for them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine mainly because of the fan service but also because I enjoyed hearing Michelle Ruff's voice. This is mainly because I enjoyed her as Rukia. Also, the criticism of a fan service/harem elements of an anime might be harder to agree with when it's a woman directing said show.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
Honestly I'm not a big fan of arbitrary ranking system on female directors as there still aren't many out there. I think the ANN feature is too early and it feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I think it would be much better if the feature focuses on one up-and-coming female director rather than ranking whole bunch others by personal preference or popularity.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

I think it would be much better if the feature focuses on one up-and-coming female director rather than ranking whole bunch others by personal preference or popularity.

Wouldn't be much of a list if you only focused on one person. The column is called The List, after all.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
I'd definitely consider Atsuko Ishizuka to be more significant than Kotomi Deai or Soubi Yamamoto. Big oversight leaving her off the list.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Wouldn't be much of a list if you only focused on one person. The column is called The List, after all.

That's the thing. Why make a list when there are only a handful of female directors in anime industry in first place? It looks like scraping the bottom of the barrel to me. It would be much wiser to wait next 5 to 10 years so that there would be more female director-candidates to take helms.

Dark Mac wrote:
I'd definitely consider Atsuko Ishizuka to be more significant than Kotomi Deai or Soubi Yamamoto. Big oversight leaving her off the list.

I agree. I'm not a super fan of Ishizuka's works, but I do think that her portfolio is really significant. I think the writer of this column has particular preference or too hasty with research.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
That's the thing. Why make a list when there are only a handful of female directors in anime industry in first place? It looks like scraping the bottom of the barrel to me. It would be much wiser to wait next 5 to 10 years so that there would be more female director-candidates to take helms.

I suspect that the emphasis in picking her choices for this list were up-and-coming female directors who have a chance to be around for a while. Basically other than Chiaki Kon (who really couldn't be left out) most of the list has only moved into series direction within the last 7-8 years or so. Besides up-and-comers like Ishizuka, there are a few older veterans with decent track records who aren't on the list either, like Kiyoko Sayama (Pretear, Skip Beat, Vampire Knight), for instance.

I also have to give a nod to Yukiyo Teramoto. She's not really on the otaku radar because most of her lead directing work has been on either mainstream or kids' anime, like some of the Doraemon movies, though she did direct a few episodes of Hunter x Hunter 2011 and Monster. I'm aware of her, however, because she's directed every season of Kaitou Joker so far, including the upcoming season 4, and that series has frankly been far more enjoyable than I'd ever expect any so-called "kids" series to be. I've read some of the manga, and like K-On I don't think it's anything special, but like Yamada did with K-On, Teramoto's work on Kaitou Joker is another great example of a director having the right feel for how to adapt her source material to fully bring this world and its colorful characters to life on TV in the best way possible, instead of just mindlessly following the manga's progression chapter-for-chapter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4