• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Fall English Dub Line-Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
No Bungo Stray Dogs? 'Kay. A list this large says more about the shows that are not chosen than the ones which are.

Anyhoo, is this going to be okay? I mean lots of these have enormous casts, and are there so many English VA's available? If they use more or less the same voices for all the shows, isn't the novelty thereof going to where off? Well I suppose they can pull hopefuls off of Youtube to fill roles, but still.

As I'm not American, I can't watch Funi dubs so I don't know what they sound like. Can some one enlighten me about this please?

Also...All Out? A rugby anime? It's not Eyeshield you know...will that really be okay with an American audience?
Im pretty sure that a few shows will use LA VA's. Todd has his own home studio there (he recorded stuff like Snow White, (The) Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan). Also Brianna is in LA who can do ADR stuff like Todd. I wouldnt worry so much about the VA's.

On another note... Wasnt Monster Rider supposed to be a weekly dub? Also they didn't get Lostorage Incited Wixoss?
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The Funi dubs should be fine. They have a lot of new and old talent, plus they've been able to get access to the LA actors through Todd.

I'd be more concerned about the ADR directors. They've been having a few new debut directors and they may need even more with all these shows. Ignoring individual skill, some might not have the experience to properly draw out the best in their actors.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Brave Witches hasn't even aired yet, so let's hold off on the knee-jerk reactions Wink
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I am fine with this lineup. I want to check out Yuri!!! on Ice, and I might follow the dub.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I didn't expect them to dub this much. I just hope they don't stretch themselves too thin by dubbing all of these (but that may be unavoidable to an extent)

I am not worried. Funimation seems ready to take on this many dubs. IIRC they said they are adding more resources to do more and faster broadcast dubs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Brave Witches hasn't even aired yet, so let's hold off on the knee-jerk reactions Wink

Some of the announced shows air after Brave Witches, though. Plus, one thing Funimation is pushing this season is that the broadcast dubs are coming out even sooner, so unless there is a contract that hasn't been finalized, I don't think chances are good.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Bungo Stray Dogs will get the Snow White with the Red Hair treatment - first season dubbed and released in spurts, then season 2 will air halfway through the airing seasons (so like mid-November). It'd be the best way to handle it, honestly, and if they're dubbing season 1 one, the actors I'll have a better grasp on their characters when season begins.

Hopefully they don't run into any issues like they did with Snow White and have the temporarily replace an actor for an episode...

-Marc.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
I think Bungo Stray Dogs will get the Snow White with the Red Hair treatment - first season dubbed and released in spurts, then season 2 will air halfway through the airing seasons (so like mid-November). It'd be the best way to handle it, honestly, and if they're dubbing season 1 one, the actors I'll have a better grasp on their characters when season begins.

Hopefully they don't run into any issues like they did with Snow White and have the temporarily replace an actor for an episode...

-Marc.

And a actor being replaced for an episode is bad why? Despite it sounded different i had no issue with it. its not like the DVD/blu-ray release will have that. You forget that with weekly dubs the dubbing team is on a very tight schedule.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope I read that correctly but did Funimation say they would not stream anything subbed anymore? I always felt theirs subs were way better than what I see on Crunchyroll. I'm not interested in watching Japanese versions of my favorite animes on that site unless CR has better translators who can type in better sounding dialogue.

Am I asking for too much?
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

And a actor being replaced for an episode is bad why? Despite it sounded different i had no issue with it. its not like the DVD/blu-ray release will have that. You forget that with weekly dubs the dubbing team is on a very tight schedule.

It's not *bad* per se, just very unexpected, but their tight schedules are pretty insane. Back at Katsucon earlier this year, I asked both Austin Tindle and Ian Sinclair about broadcast dubs and how their schedules work with them and they both responded with how crazy everything was, but how fun it was to record them and have a stable schedule of recording like that.

And yeah, I know the final home video release will feature the correct voices, but it still doesn't stop the fact that it threw me for a loop when it happened. I had even searched the Internet for an explanation but none was given at the time of airing said episode. I think that's what rubbed me the wrong way a bit - if Funimation had sent out a tweet or something that week to the effect of "BTW, this role will temporarily be filled by so-and-so because the original voice couldn't record this week's episode." Then again, maybe they don't owe us any explanations at all. It's whatever, to be honest, and it probably won't ever happen again anyway. If it happened more than once, I wouldn't know since I don't watch all of their broadcast dubs anyway.

-Marc.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I hope I read that correctly but did Funimation say they would not stream anything subbed anymore? I always felt theirs subs were way better than what I see on Crunchyroll. I'm not interested in watching Japanese versions of my favorite animes on that site unless CR has better translators who can type in better sounding dialogue.

Then you are one of the very few people who actually think Fnimation is better at subbing lol. xD

MarkyMarc413 wrote:

It's not *bad* per se, just very unexpected, but their tight schedules are pretty insane. Back at Katsucon earlier this year, I asked both Austin Tindle and Ian Sinclair about broadcast dubs and how their schedules work with them and they both responded with how crazy everything was, but how fun it was to record them and have a stable schedule of recording like that.

And yeah, I know the final home video release will feature the correct voices, but it still doesn't stop the fact that it threw me for a loop when it happened. I had even searched the Internet for an explanation but none was given at the time of airing said episode. I think that's what rubbed me the wrong way a bit - if Funimation had sent out a tweet or something that week to the effect of "BTW, this role will temporarily be filled by so-and-so because the original voice couldn't record this week's episode." Then again, maybe they don't owe us any explanations at all. It's whatever, to be honest, and it probably won't ever happen again anyway. If it happened more than once, I wouldn't know since I don't watch all of their broadcast dubs anyway.

-Marc.
The ADR director actually tweeted about the replacement. That he voiced it himself.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you and combined your serial posts. ~ Psycho 101}
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
The ADR director actually tweeted about the replacement. That he voiced it himself.

Ahh okay. I guess I didn't look hard enough then lol Anime hyper I guess I had just hoped for a blog post from Funimation themselves, but a tweet from the ADR is probably enough, eh?

-Marc.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:

The plan going forward with the new partnership is that CR will carry the subs on its site, and Funimation will have dubs. Some shows won't fall under this arrangement for contract reasons, but at least for the time being you will have to go to CR for new subbed content. A lot of Funimation's older shows will also migrate over to CR and leave Funimation's site, but I'm sure the subtitles themselves won't change.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
No Bungo Stray Dogs? 'Kay. A list this large says more about the shows that are not chosen than the ones which are.

Anyhoo, is this going to be okay? I mean lots of these have enormous casts, and are there so many English VA's available? If they use more or less the same voices for all the shows, isn't the novelty thereof going to where off? Well I suppose they can pull hopefuls off of Youtube to fill roles, but still.

As I'm not American, I can't watch Funi dubs so I don't know what they sound like. Can some one enlighten me about this please?

Also...All Out? A rugby anime? It's not Eyeshield you know...will that really be okay with an American audience?

Eyeshield 21's pretty under the radar also, possibly because anime fans and football fans don't necessarily mix. Since it's my favorite manga, I personally feel like it should get a remake like fellow Jump title Hunter x Hunter did. Its anime was horribly animated with a buttload of filler, didn't finish up to the manga, and don't even get me started on its Godawful Toonami Jetstream dub...!

All Out seems like it's worth watching, though I'm a little off-put by the... "padding", so to speak.

Also, MOB PSYCHO 100'S GETTING A DUB! YES! ONE JUST CAN'T STOP AN AWESOME MANGAKA, IT SEEMS!
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Amazing, cant wait. Just wondering where Kabaneri is? Really wanna see that since its apparently like attack on titan.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Also they didn't get Lostorage Incited Wixoss?

Considering they never announced whether they had Selector Destructed Wixoss or not, it's possible that they dropped the license after they realized that the card game was never going to come out in North America.

As much as I like the show, I have to admit that it is rare for US companies to license non-child friendly, merchandise-heavy franchises.

It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to the new season, but maybe Sentai can pick it and the movie up in a few months. There's definitely an established audience for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5