• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Fall English Dub Line-Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Since Yuri!!! on Ice isn't what people thought it was, let's hope it doesn't turn into Yaoi!!! on Ice. Confused

With an anime full of nice looking guys, the fujoshi will make it happen.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Drifters and 91 Days dubbed has me interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GiriOni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

It is doubtful that you'll be seeing Kabaneri on either site, as Amazon has the streaming rights. CR licensed the home video rights separately. It is a situation similar to how Netflix has the streaming rights for Knights of Sidonia, but Sentai has the home video rights.

Actually Kabaneri was one of the first titles dropped.

source: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-08/crunchyroll-funimation-announce-partnership-to-share-content-via-streaming-home-video-est/.106234

"Titles currently planned include: Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and ReLIFE. The home video and EST releases will include subtitles and English dubs."

edit: Ah now I see what you're saying, misunderstood, yeah it's likely it won't be on Funi or CR websites.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
From a work standpoint, I think they should just do broadcast dubs of the debuting shows. With the spring and summer shows, they could just dub them then have them all released at once.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
Also they didn't get Lostorage Incited Wixoss?

Considering they never announced whether they had Selector Destructed Wixoss or not, it's possible that they dropped the license after they realized that the card game was never going to come out in North America.

As much as I like the show, I have to admit that it is rare for US companies to license non-child friendly, merchandise-heavy franchises.

It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to the new season, but maybe Sentai can pick it and the movie up in a few months. There's definitely an established audience for it.

It's hard to see Sentai picking it up since Funimation not licensing it (at least so far) would suggest that sales weren't very good, which is a bit of a red flag. Then again, Sentai is probably going to be dependent on whatever the CR/Funi partnership doesn't grab, so who knows?

I'd certainly like to see somebody license it. I gave the show a chance on a lark, even though it didn't initially seem like something I would enjoy, and ended up loving it.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
RacistPenguin wrote:
The amount of exclamation points is too damn high.

I was thinking the same thing! Is this the season of over-excited titles?
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Nice list.
I hope by next year Funimation/Crunchyroll create a dual premium membership in which anime fans pay a single fee and get access to both services with one membership fee. I would gladly pay $100 a year to get access to both services catalogs as I like watching both subs and dubs.

Last edited by PhantomVash808 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
My heart goes out to the poor women cast to dub Keijo.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I think they'll be okay. Who knows...Perhaps they're even excited for the chance of voicing the show. Wink
peno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
Since Yuri!!! on Ice isn't what people thought it was, let's hope it doesn't turn into Yaoi!!! on Ice. Confused

Let's hope it WILL turn into Yaoi!!! on Ice, because that's the only reason I may give it a try Laughing
Though if my grandpa was still alive, he may love to watch this, since he loved figure skating.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
I was hoping Viz Media would get Mob psycho 100, since they have One Punch Man. I hope they don't try and do a DBZ/Fairy Tale type of dub.

Is there a reason why there is so many shows being simuldub, wouldn't it make more sense to hand pick as few as possible and then later pick out the more popular shows from the season. What happens if after spending X amount of money on a show, no one was interested in it. Then again they are dubbing Joker Games, which didn't do very well with audiences.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
Depending on how Yuri!! on Ice turns out and how FUNi dubs it I may have to pick that one up. If it's as gay and homoerotic as the spoilers have been making it sound then I will totally splurge whatever change I can on that.

Tomchic420 wrote:

>not wanting it to be full on gay

What are ya' straight or something? Everyone knows the gayer the better. I can't wait to hear, “His skating is so sexy I feel like it could make even a man like me pregnant…“ in English. I want Ian Sinclair somewhere in there purring out homoerotic lines. Make it happen FUNi.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

It shouldn't. Sure they will be glad to get work, and if the show is as frenetic and wild as the PVs suggested then whoever the director is will try and make it fun.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Well,looks like "91 Days" and "Keijo!!!!!" are going to get dubs. Since it's Funimation,they're going to be pretty good. Let's wait and see what develops.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Is there something wrong with Funimation subs? How does it compare to Crunchyroll? Actually I know CR subs differ between certain anime titles. Ones in yellow text I find lazy written but white ones seem better to read.

But to be honest, I prefer fansubs over anything else. They are much closer to the original Japanese with their own spin on it. Most of the time they do a pretty good job I think. If only CR tried hard enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5