• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: James Cameron's Alita: Battle Angel Film Casts Eiza Gonzales

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Planet Terror and Machete were incredibly niche films that hardly anyone remembers.

That is not exactly true. I liked both of them.

I don't see Cameron giving the job to someone he thinks doesn't have it in them to do a good job.

I think Cameron really wanted to do Alita, but he now realizes that his dream world, Avatar, simply won't allow him the time to every do it. Cameron is going to have a hand in this, and I think he picked the guy he believed could do it justice.

I am going to watch it, and then I will decide if it is bad or good. Cameron deserves at least that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
Tars: JC liked the last Terminator movie, though. So make of that what you will.

Anyway, I got no opinion on this project, yet. But I am glad RR finally ditched Alba for an on-screen hottie who doesn't annoy the hell out of me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Your response to me is completely false

Which the one about this movie sitting in development hell? which is true.

Or the one about why Cameron chose Rodriguez to direct which the link doesn't actually refute?

TarsTarkas wrote:

Of course if you liked the movie(s) in spite of their legit flaws you're not going to see them as forgettable or weak films.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Your response to me is completely false

Which the one about this movie sitting in development hell? which is true.

Or the one about why Cameron chose Rodriguez to direct which the link doesn't actually refute?

TarsTarkas wrote:

Of course if you liked the movie(s) in spite of their legit flaws you're not going to see them as forgettable or weak films.

Obviously about Cameron choosing Rodriguez for which is what the link is addressing. You said
Quote:
Cameron choosing Rodriguez was likely something done because Cameron couldn't find anyone else (for cheap) not because of Rodriguez's body of work.
when the article I showed you specifically states that the two have been seeking to collaborate on a project and James figured he can entrust his beloved project to him because of his talent and style. It refuted your assumption quite clearly.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
when the article I showed you specifically states that the two have been seeking to collaborate on a project and James figured he can entrust his beloved project to him because of his talent and style. It refuted your assumption quite clearly.

It really didn't you do know the concept of lip-service don't you?

If this movie hadn't spent nearly two decades in the making and if Cameron weren't grinding his wheels in the mud trying to make the 2nd and 3rd Avatar movies I'd buy into his supposed reasons for handing the movie off to Rodriguez but as of now it simply looks like an act of desperation to just get it done, on time, and on budget.

Not simply because he was just looking for a way to collaborate with a director who has shaky track record like Rodriguez.
grouwl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Can everyone give us an effin break!!?? The story is already written and it works, the anime bombed in Japan and was a success in America and the world because Anime was just being introduced along with Akira, Bubblegum crisis, Tenchi Muyo and Ninja Scroll.
These people (Cameron, Rodriguez and all the cast) have to read all the manga and watch the anime to get in the spirit of the Characters. It'll be a good movie because well...Can't be worse than "Dragon Ball american"
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:

It really didn't you do know the concept of lip-service don't you?

If this movie hadn't spent nearly two decades in the making and if Cameron weren't grinding his wheels in the mud trying to make the 2nd and 3rd Avatar movies I'd buy into his supposed reasons for handing the movie off to Rodriguez but as of now it simply looks like an act of desperation to just get it done, on time, and on budget.

Not simply because he was just looking for a way to collaborate with a director who has shaky track record like Rodriguez.

So you're basically doubting him because of his past failures without taking account of his strengths and capabilities? Fine, be that way it's no use debating any further. I'll just simply count on the movie to put your doubts to rest Smile Hope you have a good day.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Though I have not seen any of her works, I would see the movie just to see her and Rosa Salazar because they are hot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:

So you're basically doubting him because of his past failures

No I'm doubting this because as I said this movie's been in the planning stages since 2000-2001 and originally was going to be helmed by Cameron himself and the only reason for why Cameron would be handing this project off to Rodriguez is less because he wants to work with Rodriguez and more because he simply wants the project done and over with which I already stated.

Lord Oink wrote:
without taking account of his strengths and capabilities?

He has strengths such as being able to make good movies at ludicrously low budgets he also has his weaknesses such as some of his movies looking cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2