• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Happened To World Masterpiece Theater And Shows Like It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Yeah, who needs story-driven stories .

Yeah who needs story-driven shows of as in Justin's words " European kids suffering slowly over 52 episodes" Razz
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
vini64 wrote:
Anime fans nowadays will never know, will never FEEL the experience of watching a series that teaches you the most important values you can carry in your life.
While I can appreciate your opinion and understanding, it doesn't necessarily mean that only by watching WMT can you truly understood those stuff that you've mentioning. Plenty of other anime (including different media as well if you want to venture elsewhere) can teach anyone something important too, and some people might as well experienced things and learned through it in their life without even watching anything or used any kind of media. Sure, there's lots of young people that doesn't understand important values, even old ones too, but I don't think it is in our place to judge them. Some might not even be swayed by WMT after watching as everyone is different in their own aspects. Even shounen shows that people blamed to be repetitive and cliched can imposed their own sense of morality that can helped shape people into being the one self that they desired, or inspired someone toward reaching their goals. I don't think you should worried about anime fans not being able to learn things that they could through WMT, because other shows still existed and everyone can gain values through experiences and other type of media.
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to watch some of these, but is the only alternative pretty much fansubs? I don't even see the dvds mentioned on Amazon (used).
vini64

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
While I can appreciate your opinion and understanding, it doesn't necessarily mean that only by watching WMT can you truly understood those stuff that you've mentioning. Plenty of other anime (including different media as well if you want to venture elsewhere) can teach anyone something important too, and some people might as well experienced things and learned through it in their life without even watching anything or used any kind of media. Sure, there's lots of young people that doesn't understand important values, even old ones too, but I don't think it is in our place to judge them. Some might not even be swayed by WMT after watching as everyone is different in their own aspects. Even shounen shows that people blamed to be repetitive and cliched can imposed their own sense of morality that can helped shape people into being the one self that they desired, or inspired someone toward reaching their goals. I don't think you should worried about anime fans not being able to learn things that they could through WMT, because other shows still existed and everyone can gain values through experiences and other type of media.

I agree with you, I didn't say these things I learned are WMT-exclusive. But I do think they explore more important themes that can add something to they way you act and think in a better way most anime do. Of course, what applies to me may not apply to others, that's just the kind of animation I enjoy the most. If someone becomes a better person watching shounen, that's great for him, that's what matters.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
I'd love to watch some of these, but is the only alternative pretty much fansubs? I don't even see the dvds mentioned on Amazon (used).

More or less. Discotek did release the Dororo anime this year, which is technically the first WMT anime, but that has the benefit of being an Osamu Tezuka work (i.e. it's more "anime" than most WMT shows). The closest we got to actually getting a WMT show in its original Japanese was Nobody's Boy Remi when iaTV put it out on Burn-on-Demand DVD, but that's not even a WMT anime; it's merely TMS' attempt at taking on that franchise.

Really, Justin is correct with his answer. World Masterpiece Theater is definitely an important part of anime history, and truly showcases just how expansive anime can be as a medium, but it's just a financially-viable franchise to put out now, both in making new entries in Japan & licensing it out for release internationally. It doesn't matter how good most of them are, because they just aren't going to appeal to enough anime fans, and they are nowhere near worth the cost of dubbing to try to appeal to a more general audience.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly, like you'd figure the native country of the classic story being adapted would be able to license them easily, almost as if an obligation.

Especially since it's not like Anne is a story this country has forgotten.

Apparently English Canada did get at least one World Masterpiece show: The Bush Baby. I've never been able to confirm it myself, but assuming these aren't all the same person, it looks like the show ran on TVO and Access Alberta in the 90s. ANN's encyclopedia lists two regulars of the Montreal English VA scene as cast members. The novel's author lived in Canada, so why while it wasn't a headliner, I guess it made sense?

edit: I did some digging through the CRTC's database and found that Bush Baby was approved as Canadian content on June 14, 1993. I guess that dub actually happened.

Oh yeah, I remember that distinct hairstyle and the mouse with the tail; I wouldn't have been able to tell you the show's name 5 years later but it still stirs up a memory. "Hey, I know that thing!".

As for the Anne anime, I think other people have brought up a good point without meaning to : The English dub was not Canadian. Many anime, at the time, that aired had Canadian dubs (helping Canadian channels fulfill their Canadian content quotas) or were dubbed by bigger companies, such as was the case for Voltron, so a bigger audience was assumed for the show; Lesser anime and European cartoons aired on subscription cable channels that wanted cheap content and didn't have to worry about sponsors or censors but movies tended to be the favourites for them.

A slow-running, 50-episode show, not dubbed in Canada, seems like it would just fall between the cracks.

As for that live-action re-boot, other than my like of the perfectly cast actress for Anne, my reaction to that is unprintable; Apparently, my one watch, out of curiosity, counted as a view and was not alone. Damn.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Well this is a surprise. I didn't know that these shows were not received very well outside Japan. Where I grew up, these shows were (and until a few years ago still) part of regular kid's block programming in the morning. At least 5 of them were re-aired so many times there was a point I could recite the entire plot with little to no effort. Now that I think of it, I think most (except maybe five or so) of the WMT series were aired locally.

Of particular note, the later shows Justin mentioned such as Romeo's Blue Skies and Nobody's Girl were so popular a lot of kids in my generation (whether they turned out as anime fans or not later on in life) would mention these if you asked them what anime they've seen. Little Lord Fauntleroy and Princess Sarah even inspired local live action movies! For mid-90s kids here, it's safe to say that these shows are more popular than Dragonball, Sailor Moon and Pokemon...
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
vini64 wrote:
Yes, you've right. WMT indeed explored themes deeper than usual back then, though I can't exactly laid out what's what due to overbearing difficulties of mine to remember things in the past but the effect is there somewhat inside of me, and I'm glad for you that WMT has personally change you toward becoming what you are now, that write off how important it is that these shows has appealed to your personal self. Indeed, everyone has their own experiences, methods and media that developed something within, and all the best prop for those that managed to found their beacon of salvation, and best of luck for those that didn't.

Honestly, I don't know what the hell I am going with this conversation but the short form version of this message is, I am glad that you've enjoyed WMT throughly and may you kept enjoying it as the same throughout the approaching years. Peace!
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
I've seen a fair number of WMT episodes, though not in recent years - it's always something I 'mean to go back to.' From what I've seen, I'm not convinced that Justin's wry description of them as 'European kids suffering slowly over 52 episodes' is fair; nor his assertion that 'most of the good instalments were extremely sad.' Yes, the WMTs can be very sad in places - the (in)famous case is Dog of Flanders - like the children's literature they come from. However, there's plenty of blissful happiness in nature and friendship too. A show like Anne of Green Gables is far more about happiness than sadness, IIRC,

As a British viewer, I tend to compare the WMT series to some of the more 'literary' children's cartoons by the Cosgrove Hall studio, such as its stop-motion Wind in the Willows and later projects such as Truckers (from the Terry Pratchett book) and its feature-length cartoon version of the The BFG, two decades before Spielberg's. There are still some films today that arguably have that sensibility, such as Tomm Moore's Oscar-nominated Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea - although, granted, they're more fantastical than most WMTs were.

In Japan, Ronja has been mentioned as a recent extension of that tradition; you could also cite Osamu Dezaki's version of The Snow Queen in 2005. I think it's plausible to argue that Takahata's Princess Kaguya extends that ethos (along with several other Ghibli films - Poppy Hill, for example). So does Katabuchi's film Mai Mai Miracle. From what I've seen of Katabuchi's upcoming film In This Corner of the World, that may have some WMT flavour as well, though its heroine grows from a child into an adult, and its themes similarly become more adult.

You don't have to have some anti-otaku agenda to believe it's healthy for some anime to be made for audiences outside anime 'fandom.' Heck, Sazae-san, Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan are all still going strong, and good for them! Maybe the WMT format is an outmoded relic in the 21st century... but then people used to say that of the Disney princess musical until Frozen. Only yesterday, I read that the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton, which I myself saw as outdated relics, are still selling half a million copies a year. When it comes to children's media, it's risky to pronounce a tradition dead...
Utsugi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
I've seen a fair number of WMT episodes, though not in recent years - it's always something I 'mean to go back to.' From what I've seen, I'm not convinced that Justin's wry description of them as 'European kids suffering slowly over 52 episodes' is fair; nor his assertion that 'most of the good instalments were extremely sad.' Yes, the WMTs can be very sad in places - the (in)famous case is Dog of Flanders - like the children's literature they come from. However, there's plenty of blissful happiness in nature and friendship too. A show like Anne of Green Gables is far more about happiness than sadness, IIRC,

Yeah, there are a lot of happy WMTs. Just because the more famous ones are sad doesn't mean they all are.

Oh, and Mai Mai Miracle was bad. It tried to be whimsical Ghibli so hard but it failed at it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
As a British viewer, I tend to compare the WMT series to some of the more 'literary' children's cartoons by the Cosgrove Hall studio, such as its stop-motion Wind in the Willows and later projects such as Truckers (from the Terry Pratchett book) and its feature-length cartoon version of the The BFG, two decades before Spielberg's.

You speak of Cosgrove Hall cartoons with literary aspirations, yet you decline to say so much as a word on Fantomcat? Egad, such a glaring lacuna that is!
(Avenger Penguins is perhaps a more debatable case.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CR85747

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Primus wrote:
It always surprised/confused me that neither of the Anne of Green Gables adaptations wound up on Canadian television. Apparently the first one even get an English dub!

Didn't it air in French on Radio-Canada in the 1980s and/or 1990s?

Apparently it started airing on Radio-Canada in 1989. That only makes the lack of its broadcast in English Canada even stranger!

Before Green Gables seems to have skipped Canada entirely, though.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Primus wrote:
It always surprised/confused me that neither of the Anne of Green Gables adaptations wound up on Canadian television. Apparently the first one even get an English dub!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, like you'd figure the native country of the classic story being adapted would be able to license them easily, almost as if an obligation.

Especially since it's not like Anne is a story this country has forgotten.

The Anne of Green Gables anime might have been affected by the Montgomery people not wanting anything that could seen to be competing with Kevin Sullivan's series/films which were airing on television in English Canada at the time. (The Green Gables stories went into public domain in Canada in 1992 but the Montgomery estate has been very litigious over merchandising rights and even claims that they still have TV rights to the stories.)
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:
Yeah, who needs story-driven stories when we can watch dust clearing and enemies stare and talk to each other and call it 'action'.

Excuse you, but there are plenty of story-driven shows. Shounen is not the only anime genre.

I know, that was actually the point of my sarcasm.

Afezeria wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:
No respecting other's people taste when your preferable shows is no longer made? Those kind of shows you've mentioned actually had some story in them and people do liked it. You can always just rewatch or try finding those shows that you wanted instead of mocking other's interest. What's the point in agitating people that didn't do anything to you?

They're not exactly my preferred shows and it's more like these shows are not given a chance by your typical anime fans, either because they're old or because they're not battle series or slice of life comedies. What I said is not untrue. At least these shows go somewhere with their stories and don't stall for nearly as long as your typical shonen. Shonen's would be fine if they'd hurry the hell up and stop using the same tired cliche's over and over again. I am well aware of the circumstances that cause them to progress at a snail's pace but that doesn't give them free passes.

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the manga versions tell their stories properly and I read them because they are more enjoyable than the anime, and I'm someone who usually prefers watching anime over reading manga. But as far as the anime goes for shonen battles, they are a chore to watch.

Last edited by Topgunguy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 am; edited 2 times in total
taurussieben

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
In germany most of the WMT was released, starting in the mid-seventies. The only missing are ironically the new ones starting from 1996. But before, everything is/was available in german tv. And most people do remember them and still love them.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
The fact this stuff like this mostly can't be made anymore and what does get made now reflects how i'm not into lot's of new anime...
If i you look at the ANN page in most pictures i see are generic design's about some bi-shounen or cute girl's or whatever not saying a series like that sucks be default for that because the story etc can still be good but i'm not into that kinda style at all ...

On the Other hand history is one of my favourite subjects along wth sci-fi and older stuff has lot's of that !!!
I remember seeing lot's of the world master piece theather stuff as a kid in The Netherlands it made up for most anime we got up until the 2000's when we finally got the Pokemon DBZ like stuff.
Though in recent times i have seen verry little of it ... but i'm in Love with Nobody's Boy Remi and Osamu Dezaki's art style whick is now one of my favourite series ever !!!
It's said it's not part of the world master piece theater but only because it wasn't made by Nippon Animation but TMS.
Also it seems of all things Osamu Tezuka's Dororo anime version started the world master piece theather which isn't by Nippon either i also like that one even if it doesn't really follow the manga much ...

Still planning to watch more of the world master piece theather or rather rewatching it cause i saw lot's of it in the 90's now i just need to find the time to watch all of it i can find.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5