• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Begins Running in Europe, Middle East, Africa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation hasn't even released the Buu arc of Kai, the rest of the world's beating them to Super.

Arguably, though, none of that really matters to Funimation, as long as no other US company manages to grab Super out from under them. So, taking a look at who could do that:

Crunchyroll - With their new partnership with Funimation, this seems less than likely. Even if Crunchyroll did get it, Funimation would end up dubbing it anyway. Think of how this would effect the ability of Super to get on TV, though.

Netflix or Amazon - These two seem like the most likely parties, but neither of these companies would really benefit from putting Super on television once they have it on their sites. Is Toei interested in making that kind of deal?

Warner Brothers - They appear to be out of the game after their JoJo fiasco.

Sentai or Discotek - Having Super would be a major gamechanger for either of these companies, but if money is what's keeping Funimation from bringing Super to the US, then I doubt Sentai or Discotek can pony up the cash, either.

Viz - I honestly have no idea what would happen if the company whose Sailor Moon re-release has caused so much fan outrage were to get their hands on Dragonball, too. At the very least, we know they have the rights to the manga adaptation.

Media Blasters - Sorry, Media Blasters, but I don't believe for a single second that you could handle this license right now.

Ponycanyon, NIS, or Aniplex - doesn't seem to fit in with their catalogues of limited-run prestige format releases.

Any I missed? I can't see someone like Disney wanting this, but you never know.

I got a good laugh from this. I can't believe people actually think another company could license a Dragon Ball series or movie other than Funimation. I obviously don't have any facts to back this up but I'm pretty sure Toei and Funimation have a deal in place where they automatically get the license. I mean I guess Amazon would have the money to outbid them but Funimation would be destroyed if they didn't get it. I'm also pretty certain its Toei who is holding back Kai and Super and not Funimation from an United States release.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I got a good laugh from this. I can't believe people actually think another company could license a Dragon Ball series or movie other than Funimation. I obviously don't have any facts to back this up but I'm pretty sure Toei and Funimation have a deal in place where they automatically get the license. I mean I guess Amazon would have the money to outbid them but Funimation would be destroyed if they didn't get it. I'm also pretty certain its Toei who is holding back Kai and Super and not Funimation from an United States release.

I also don't doubt that funimation will have the license eventually, but when pressed on the subject a while back during an ANNCast, they said they don't have the license and when Zac asked if another company could get it, they didn't say no. So anything is possible, apparently.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
I really don't see how any company aside from Funimation could possibly secure DB Super for North American release. Gen Fukunaga has family that works for Toei. That's how he was able to secure the damn franchise to begin with. There's no debate here: Funimation will get it, if they don't already have it.

The point is all the feet dragging that's being done. It's been how long since Resurrection F came out and they still don't have the Buu arc of Kai on the shelves, let alone Super? Come on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
well akibafest is coming up so we might here something then about a US release.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Any I missed? I can't see someone like Disney wanting this, but you never know.

What about Toei itself? They pretty much handled Digimon Data Squad in North America by themselves and doing the same again now with Digimon Tri, so why not Dragon Ball? I can easily imagine a scenario where Toei wants to keep the license for Super (and possibly Buu saga of Kai as well) for themselves, but found out Funimation having too big of influence to be able to pretty much block them to do anything with it (like threatening Toonami if they'll accept Dragon Ball straight from Toei, they will stop giving them their anime and that may easily be the end of Toonami block). Of course it's just a speculation, but with how active Toei is in North America, I can easily imagine it.
NitroNeon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
If only the UK and Canada weren't so prejudice against anime, They could've been in such a fantastic position to debut these shows in English with dubs straight from Canada. The problem is there's no platform for this stuff, Turner needs to save the day and bring back Toonami for more than just the US and France.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
xchampion wrote:

I also don't doubt that funimation will have the license eventually, but when pressed on the subject a while back during an ANNCast, they said they don't have the license and when Zac asked if another company could get it, they didn't say no. So anything is possible, apparently.

i would agree if it wasn't for the fact Toei and funimation have a really close relationship, as a matter of fact funimation was originally created to bring Dragon Ball to the United States (The company was founded on May 9, 1994 by Japanese-born businessman Gen Fukunaga. Fukunaga's uncle, Nagafumi Hori, was working as a producer for Toei, Hori approached Gen about licensing Dragon Ball. He proposed that if Fukunaga could start a production company and raise enough money, Toei Animation would license the rights to the franchise)

so i think there is more than enough chance funimation will get Super.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:58 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
What about Toei itself?

This is what I've been thinking for some time now, family or no family if Toei, as a business, decides to market DragonBall in North America there isn't much anyone could do about it. Funimation's licenses will eventually expire and they have made a LOT of money from them. It may be time to move on.

Mark Gosdin
Francesco Vitiello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
As I said before,Italy has two dubs of Dragon Ball each with a different cast.The faithful one and the censored one made for little kids.It isn't confirmed but it looks like that,while Battle of the gods and Ressurection of F got the faithful one,Super is getting the censored one Sad
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
peno wrote:
What about Toei itself?

This is what I've been thinking for some time now, family or no family if Toei, as a business, decides to market DragonBall in North America there isn't much anyone could do about it. Funimation's licenses will eventually expire and they have made a LOT of money from them. It may be time to move on.

Mark Gosdin

good thing is even if that happens, funimation use Chris Sabats dubbing company Okratron 5000 to dub Dragon Ball anyway so Toei could too
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
I can't believe Toei is so backwards that it wouldn't let anyone stream Super yet. It's literally leaving money on the table, because a lot of fans are streaming it weekly illegally and that is money they could have had.
Woomy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Dragonball/DBZ is one series I just have to watch dubbed, so I'll just wait for it. I'm sure it'll happen eventually. It's Dragonball.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
[quote="ResistNormal"]I can't believe Toei is so backwards that it wouldn't let anyone stream Super yet. It's literally leaving money on the table, because a lot of fans are streaming it weekly illegally and that is money they could have had.[/quote

I admit that I am one of those people. I would pay to stream the series legally and buy the physical discs, but I couldn't wait. I had to see the show. It started out kind of weak, but it's gotten better and the Goku Black arc is amazeballs. It's really good.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Come on Toei/FUNimation!!! I'm so sad that there's a new Dragon Ball series out and I'm missing it! This is just such a tease that Toei is letting it be released in other Western countries now, but not the US.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
one day America will get the Goku and Vegeta show. one day
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3