• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Begins Running in Europe, Middle East, Africa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
"English speaking Africa"

Heavily implies Dubbed. Asia one is MiA, given the recent Toy announcement most likely or bot FUNi's. Just about waiting for a formal announcement now.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Wow people still care about DBZ ? I grow out of it, but hey strong passion I guess.

Dude. For both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F my local theater was sold out to a packed house, and the audience reactions for both were some of the most enthusiastic I've seen for any movie not named "Star Wars." That's to say nothing about the continuing large body of fan works being produced, among other indicators of a strong fandom. So yeah, I'd say there's still a lot of people that care about Dragon Ball.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Dragon Ball Super will be broadcast on Toonami after Kai is finished of course it depends on whether or not Toonami airs the Buu arc of Kai which will take even longer. Confused
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Hopefully Dragon Ball Super will be broadcast on Toonami after Kai is finished of course it depends on whether or not Toonami airs the Buu arc of Kai which will take even longer. Confused

Especially since Toei barely cut any of the filler from the Buu arc of Kai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation hasn't even released the Buu arc of Kai, the rest of the world's beating them to Super.

Arguably, though, none of that really matters to Funimation, as long as no other US company manages to grab Super out from under them. So, taking a look at who could do that:

Crunchyroll - With their new partnership with Funimation, this seems less than likely. Even if Crunchyroll did get it, Funimation would end up dubbing it anyway. Think of how this would effect the ability of Super to get on TV, though.

Netflix or Amazon - These two seem like the most likely parties, but neither of these companies would really benefit from putting Super on television once they have it on their sites. Is Toei interested in making that kind of deal?

Warner Brothers - They appear to be out of the game after their JoJo fiasco.

Sentai or Discotek - Having Super would be a major gamechanger for either of these companies, but if money is what's keeping Funimation from bringing Super to the US, then I doubt Sentai or Discotek can pony up the cash, either.

Viz - I honestly have no idea what would happen if the company whose Sailor Moon re-release has caused so much fan outrage were to get their hands on Dragonball, too. At the very least, we know they have the rights to the manga adaptation.

Media Blasters - Sorry, Media Blasters, but I don't believe for a single second that you could handle this license right now.

Ponycanyon, NIS, or Aniplex - doesn't seem to fit in with their catalogues of limited-run prestige format releases.

Any I missed? I can't see someone like Disney wanting this, but you never know.

Well, you missed 4K Media and Saban Brands. Yu-Gi-Oh is 4K Media's priority one, so they wouldn't be interested. Saban Brands could license Super if they wanted to, but they would end up applying unnecessary edits to the dub, such as replacing the background music for so called "artistic reasons".
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Saban Brands could license Super if they wanted to, but they would end up applying unnecessary edits to the dub, such as replacing the background music for so called "artistic reasons".

Saban Brands gets global rights outside of Asia to the stuff they license (see Glitter Force for example and it's other dubs on Netflix) so the fact that these dubs are being made and already being broadcast in Israel & Portugal shows that they're not involved with Super at all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
Toei is being really foolish with this. They should be doing that "worldwide except Japan" streaming that Crunchyroll often does.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Toei is being really foolish with this. They should be doing that "worldwide except Japan" streaming that Crunchyroll often does.

Toei knows Dragonball is popular, so they want a TV deal. Other countries can do it no problem, but TV anime is a dying breed in the US. And maybe a late night block like Adult Swim isn't good enough for them. All this really shows is the US market isnt as important as some people would have you believe. Funi should start talking to CN, Disney, or Nickelodeon if they want the license.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3