• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Prism is Next Fan Game Set for Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
It been taken down seems like inevitably at the point but I am interested in playing if I am able.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
we all know what's gonna happen so let just get it over with

''fan made game announced''

''Nintendo sends a cease and desist''

''fan game shut down and people complain''

anyway it's great fans want to show their love for a series but come on if you want to make and distribute a game you have to make your own game, you can't just use someone else's IP or copyrighted content without permission

and before anyone says anything, yes you can MAKE a game based on someones IP but you are NOT allowed to distribute it THAT IS ILLEGAL!
Veniamin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Can't wait for this to get shut down. What is it about "You can't use someone else's property" that people don't understand?

The "you can't do crap to me" no matter how many DMCA's they send, because people can simply download and distribute it again? Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Can't wait for this to get shut down. What is it about "You can't use someone else's property" that people don't understand?

The "you can't do crap to me" no matter how many DMCA's they send, because people can simply download and distribute it again? Rolling Eyes

There's also a sense of defiance some people have, where they work on these projects fully knowing they're not supposed to and knowing they'll get shut down (or thinking they'll never be caught). For these few people, it thrills them because it's forbidden, the same kind of thrill people have shoplifting small items.

I don't know how much work was put into Pokémon Prism, but looking at those types, they sound like this game wasn't fully thought through. As mentioned prior, Pokémon themed on wood and trees like Trevenant already fall under the Grass-type. Wind falls under Flying, and is specifically about air and wind, considering Tornadus being the only pure Flying-type and it containing moves like Razor Wind, Hurricane, and Tailwind. Sound is not tied to a type and never will be; otherwise, Pokémon with Soundproof would be either overpowered or useless. Gas would be either Flying, with it being very close to wind (wind is moving gas, after all), and Pokémon made of gas, like Gastly, are classified under Ghost and/or Poison. Finally, Abnormal, as a type, would fall under anything that isn't the Normal-type, since that's what "abnormal" means. Maybe they have something more specific. But this sounds like the sort of thing I'd see in Pokémon fanfiction, and not good ones.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Geez. Threads like this make me wonder if anyone on this site actually likes anything. Or maybe this is the aftereffects of our "support the industry" mantra.

I'd ask what you all think the harm is in creating/playing romhacks of ancient games from a major franchise, but you can't answer that, because there isn't any. Life goes on, and the Pokemon IP continues to be obscenely popular and profitable, despite the availability of literal copies of all the older games on pirate sites. Nintendo commissioned a half-baked mobile version and it became a license to print money overnight. Let people have fun with video games, for heaven's sake.

The comment that dramatically redesigning a game in assembly language indicates poor programming skills did make me laugh, though.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I'd ask what you all think the harm is in creating/playing romhacks of ancient games from a major franchise, but you can't answer that, because there isn't any

as for playing rom hacks the fact of the matter is that YOU DON'T OWN THE IP and it quite clearly states in the user agreement of EVERY game you buy,

"You agree to only use the Game Software, or any part of it, in a manner that is consistent with this License and you SHALL NOT:

(a) without written permission, use, advertise or exploit in any manner the Game Software or any of its parts commercially, including but not limited to use at a cyber (Internet) café, computer gaming center or any other location-based site;

(b) without a separate, additional license, use the Game Software or permit the use of the Game Software, on more than one computer, game console, handheld device or PDA at the same time;

(c) use the Game Software, or permit use of the Game Software, in a network, multi-user arrangement or remote access arrangement, including any online use, except as otherwise explicitly permitted in writing;

(d) make copies of the Game Software or any part thereof, except that you may make one (1) copy of the Game Software for backup or archival purposes, or make copies of the materials accompanying the Game Software for non-commercial backup and reference only;

(e) sell, rent, lease, license, distribute, upload to any Internet server or web site, or otherwise transfer any portion of this Game Software or any copies without the express prior written consent. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may permanently transfer all of your rights and obligations under the License to another person for non-commercial use by physically transferring the original Game Software media (e.g., the CD-ROM or DVD you purchased), all original packaging and all manuals or other documentation distributed with the Game Software; provided, however, that you permanently delete all copies and installations of the Game Software in your possession or control, and that the recipient agrees to the terms of this Agreement. You shall be solely responsible for any taxes, fees, duties, withholdings, charges and assessments that may be due in connection with such transfer.

(f) reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of the Game Software, in whole or in part (except as the applicable law expressly permits, in which case all and any lawful modifications, adaptations, improvements, etc., and all copyrights and morale rights therein, shall be deemed assigned to, and shall belong to, vest in and be the exclusive property of its licensors on creation, in any event);

(g) remove, disable or circumvent any security protections or any technical measures that control access to the Game Software;

(h) remove, modify, deface or circumvent any proprietary notices or labels contained on or within the Game Software;

(i) export or re-export the Game Software or any copy or adaptation in violation of any applicable laws or regulations; or

(j) create data or executable programs that mimic data or functionality in the Game Software.

Furthermore, you agree that you shall abide by the safety information, maintenance instructions or other relevant notices contained in the manual that is included with the Game Software."

what a lot of people NEVER realise is we never actually own any game we buy, we licence it from the distributor, so NO you can not do what you like with a game, you can not make hacks and distribute them

and before anyone brings up the used game market that is classified as a licence transfer and you are allowed to do that

also sorry for the long post
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Geez. Threads like this make me wonder if anyone on this site actually likes anything. Or maybe this is the aftereffects of our "support the industry" mantra.

For me it's more about finding fan games terrible. At best they will just be clones of already existing games because amateur devs are just that: amateur. At worst it manufactures a terrible fan base either from people claiming a shoddy fan game is better the real stuff, or treating their fanworks as some kind of fanon. Moral reasons have nothing to do with it for me since I openly pirate all my anime since half of it doesn't get subbed officially. However, unlike these kinds of fan projects I can readily admit what I'm doing is not legal without trying to spin it with backwards copyrighted logic. The English-speaking fan base for Pocket Monsters is already pretty low quality and fan games that promote things like Twitch Plays Pokemon can only hurt it more.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2