• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Mizore's feelings are realistic to me. I've been there before, even. Has everyone not been there?

Having someone you feel like is a great friend start leaving you out of things/not telling you what's going on? Yes, definitely.

Getting physically ill at that great friend's general existence in a 50 meter radius, storming out of a place and hiding because they touched me once? No, never.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Having someone you feel like is a great friend start leaving you out of things/not telling you what's going on? Yes, definitely.

Getting physically ill at that great friend's general existence in a 50 meter radius, storming out of a place and hiding because they touched me once? No, never.

I think that the resolution of this conlfict clears away a little of the overdramatic scene. First off, she feels sick when listening to the music, and I'm sure she feels disgusted with herself, rather than disgusted by Nozomi (which I initially thought). It's a pretty dramatic scene alright, but less edgy.

vonPeterhof wrote:
They did foreshadow Mizore and Nozomi to a slightly greater extent than the novel did by having them visually present, but they probably chose not to make it clearer because it wasn't obvious at the time that the show would be getting a sequel. The movie actually adds a couple extra scenes featuring Mizore prominently.

As for Hazuki and Midori becoming less prominent, I guess that's was inevitable with the second season adapting two books and sticking closer to the source material. The first season had more original scenes and whole original episodes, and the producers thought that four cute female leads would make the show more marketable, so they got extra emphasis back then. Now that the show isn't leaving itself much room for filler the two have defaulted to being side characters.

Before anything, the spoil tag, or at least what I catched was a pretty heavy spoiler about Asuka which only gets me pumped up.

Haven't watched the movie yet, I planned to after the S2 finishes, but I do know about Mizore and Nozomi being slightly foreshadowed, but I certainly didn't catch that one back then and I think that for most of the audience it didn't stick the land.

A shame that Hazuki and Sapphire got sidelined like that, I mean, they are hardly one of the most intersting characters, but they were pretty decent and cool to watch, I guess that's that, then.
proper1420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If smartphones have been used then I certainly never picked up on it. Characters would be waiting (such as Kumiko waiting for Reina with the first episode of this season) without having their phones out to check if a text had been sent. There were massive crowd shots during that festival atnight and I don't recall seeing the glow of cellphones from the people in those shots which should have been pretty easy to pick up even at a glance.

We get a good look at Kumiko's phone in S1E12, after she retrieves it from the band storage room, turns it on, and finds half a dozen messages from Reina. It looks like a smartphone, with a large screen on the front and a camera on the back.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure it was not Asuka being cruel, she is somewhat more complex than that. Simply Asuka hates drama, she does not want it in the band, and she does not want to deal with it. I think that this has been evident since when she gave an annoyed look at some of the bandmates talking about relationships, and how she is not suited to be the captain. Despite her often sort of cheery and joking manner, I think that in general she can expect the worst from people, she is in it for the music but other people bring in problems.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Before anything, the spoil tag, or at least what I catched was a pretty heavy spoiler about Asuka which only gets me pumped up.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're referring to here. Are you saying I needed to spoiler tag something in my last comment?
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Valhern wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're referring to here. Are you saying I needed to spoiler tag something in my last comment?

The thing about her spoiler[solo not being there, and you already knowing why.]
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
The thing about her spoiler[solo not being there, and you already knowing why.]
Ah, I see. Now that you mention it, I can see how that bit may have looked like a way bigger spoiler than it actually is, so I removed it entirely just to be on the safe side. Sorry for any confusion, I'll refrain from hinting at any information from later in the books from now on.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

Merida wrote:
And then there's Asuka. What's her deal? I know she's supposed to be the "mysterious beauty character" in this story, but she's increasingly coming off as a giant bitch. She knew what the problem was and could have simply resolved it by having both parties sit down and talk it out. Or does she just really enjoy messing with people? Confused
I don't think the show gave us enough reasons to believe that she knew exactly what the problem was between Mizore and Nozomi until after the conflict was resolved. But even if she did, having them confront each other this close to the competition would have still been quite a gamble from her perspective, since they could well have ended up on even worse terms over one careless word, plus she couldn't have predicted the role Yuuko would play in all that (in the novel Asuka actually tells Kumiko that Yuuko "was the MVP this time" and that "without her around all this wouldn't have wrapped up this well").

Granted that she probably wasn't aware of the exact nature of the conflict. But if her main intention really was to avoid drama, she should have given Nozomi a better reason for not being able to return than "well, because..." since that just opened the door for more/different drama...
proper1420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Granted that she probably wasn't aware of the exact nature of the conflict. But if her main intention really was to avoid drama, she should have given Nozomi a better reason for not being able to return than "well, because..." since that just opened the door for more/different drama...

At least through season 1, avoiding drama for Asuka doesn't mean preventing or resolving it but instead minimizing her involvement in it: she didn't take a side in the previous year's conflict, she refused the position of president, she failed to support Haruka and Kaori in the section leader meeting during the "Marines' Hymn" conflict, and she repeatedly deflected questions during the trumpet solo conflict. When it comes to conflict, Asuka tries to do as little as possible, and her responses to Nozomi are consistent with that: at first she wants Nozomi to take her request to someone else, then she just wants her to go away, and only after at least two days does she say "no" with minimal explanation.

Not consistent with Asuka's usual behavior is what she does after Mizore runs off: she asks Nozomi to take the oboe to Mizore. It's an unusually active thing for Asuka to do, and perhaps it indicates an evolution in her behavior. Another interesting change is indicated by what Asuka says to Kumiko at the end of the episode: that they make it to the national competition. In S1E13, during her exchange with Kumiko before the performance, Asuka seemed to assume the band wouldn't make it to the Kansai competition, and she seemed troubled when it did.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
proper1420 wrote:
Another interesting change is indicated by what Asuka says to Kumiko at the end of the episode: that they make it to the national competition. In S1E13, during her exchange with Kumiko before the performance, Asuka seemed to assume the band wouldn't make it to the Kansai competition, and she seemed troubled when it did.
Yeah, that bit actually caught me off guard, not just because Asuka's line was a lot more noncommittal in the novel ("Let's do our best at the main event tomorrow"), but also because one of the first things she does in that novel is read the first years a long lecture listing all the reasons why it's impossible for Kitauji to win at Kansai and move on to the nationals. Not that I disagree with the changes to Asuka's characterisation (including those going all the way back to the start of the first season): I do like the much starker contrast between her various "faces".
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Episode five made the first four episodes feel worth something making the actual victory in episode five important and emotionally impactful because of the first four episodes. While the act of watching those four episodes for me it all soporific given the events of episode five it actually them good in retrospect.

With my reaction going from one of seeing them as dull and lifeless to excellent building up of character motivation and personalities. I still don't think a great idea to focus on something that happened in the past so obliquely but episode five at least make the present timeline something I care about. So here is hoping of the strength f this episode carries on into episode six and beyond.
Muphrid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
I have to say I cannot agree with the glowing review of this episode. While there were many aspects of it that were marvelous on a technical level, it doesn't quite fit with what came before it. We spent four episodes (including the double-length first episode) with band drama getting in the way of the regionals. That drama was resolved last episode, and beautifully at that, but what remains is denouement. There's no suspense about the result, and with the drama already dealt with, we're left with a shift from internal tension to Kumiko's nervousness and anxiety. The feelings do not flow or connect well.

As good as this show is, I don't feel convinced that it tied the stress of going to Regionals well enough to the internal drama between Nozomi and Mizore. If anything, I would've liked to see more of the former and more interaction between the two ideas. Here, they are too compartmentalized, and that takes away from the momentousness of this win.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Although I didn't cry during that beautiful, amazing, outstanding performance (which makes me feel rather guilty), I ended up with a genuine smile on my face. During the performance, I felt I was there with the girls, wishing everything is going to be excellent, I even clapped like the public did. I knew they were going to one, but I felt rather nervous when they were announcing the winners. Euphonium is too real sometimes.

And that slow motion scene. My god.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
I agree with Muphrid that this season's storytelling is somewhat disjointed episode-to-episode. The competition of this episode felt like an isolated creature all its own, entirely disconnected from the rest of this season.

... but that being said, I still loved this episode, and was still grinning like an idiot throughout most of it.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I don't know if disjointed is the right word, it's that the week to week format isn't really the best to appreciate it, because we get to the fifth episode with the most relevant (narrative-wise) chunks of information. Because the show has been builiding up constantly to the competition, how it will sound, how everyone will play, how everyone's feeling about it, but those are smaller parts in comparison, so after the big cathartic moment in the previous episode we come back like "Oh yeah, the competition", even though the competition was always there.

There were two particular bits I really loved, one is when Asuka takes the momentum to speak, when she says "Nobody thought we'd be here", when actually, it was mostly her thinking they wouldn't make it, and how she looks really embarassed talking, she speaks faster than usual and makes an effort to sound professional. But she wasn't the real focus yet, I'm expecting this second half to be mostly about her.

The second one was when Reina said "I'll play for you, Kumiko", it might have looked like some fanservice moment (appreciated) but she was actually joking! Reina usually has a really straight face and talks with a lot of determination, and most irony and sarcasm goes way over her head. This time when she heard Mizore saying that to Nozomi she joked about it because it seemed super dramatic for her and laughed it off like that. That was extremely unusual and I loved Reina joking like that.

I think this episode was a "This is what we got accomplished for now", in the sense that everything looks good now, but Kumiko's last question to Mizore clearly implies that nothing is said and done yet. Nozomi herself looks a little away from Mizore, like Mizore is still being really naive about how relationships work and Kumiko's question should be a wake-up call for her to have way more determination.

If there's something that I love in all of the performances of Euphonium, is that they make the thematic choice of the setting really relevant, it's not as if everything else could convey the same feeling they do now, like what tends to happen in most sport anime or cute girls doing cute things shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 20