• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girlish Number

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theemathas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I just want to ask whether anybody got the Legend of Heroes 6 reference. Seems like nobody else got it from comments in other websites.

I didn't get it. Can you explain it for me?

By the way, did anybody get the LINE reference? It's an app nearly nobody uses in the US. In the scene with the LN author, he mentioned a messaging app and asked for Momoka's ID (referring to LINE ID). The screen in Momoka's phone in the later scene also matches what LINE actually looks like. Basically, the anime went to ridiculous lengths to imply that it was LINE without actually mentioning its name. (I found that funny for some reason.)
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
As someone who could never get into SNAFU (I can't stand obnoxious teenagers) I was surprised at how much I liked the show. I do hope we learn more about Chitose, why exactly did she want to become a voice actress and why is she already so jaded? I will say I relate to her when she heard something was a LN adaptation and she wasn't thrilled about it. Laughing The show was quite mean to the LN author, I doubt this accurately reflect reality so I guess everything should be taken with a grain of salts. It must be weird being an VA for this kind of show...
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The bit with the LN author legit startled me - I was like, "Woah, are they even allowed to say stuff like that on Japanese TV?!" Very Happy I guess the fact that the original author is an LN writer himself makes it okay.

Seriously though, I am pretty curious about how this show will proceed, but having no experience with SNAFU I don't really know what to expect. Mean people can be a good source of both drama and comedy, and there are plenty of aspects of the anime industry to be cynical about, but I'm not really in a place right now where I would enjoy cynicism for its own sake, and the show did feel like it was veering in that direction from time to time. Either way, whether or not this becomes the next big Anime Discourse Show it should be interesting to observe the way it's received both inside and outside Japan.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this show snagged my attention for a weird reason; the way the girls in this show act reminds me of some girls I went to college with: pretty smiles hiding some nasty bite, haha! When the one VA started sh*tting on the LN writer behind his back I started having flashbacks.

I'm in for episode 2.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Loved when the two girls were heading back from the audition both trying to keep their cutesy appearances while offhandedly sharing a deeply cynical conversation Light Novels. This is either the start of a great friendship, or a bitter rivalry.

The episode in general was great. I honestly didn't know about the SNAFU authors involvement, but even without that I thought the episode was fantastically made on all fronts. Another strong show to compete against Sound Euphonium, Yuri!, Flipflappers and 3Gatsu. This season is crazy!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that Yae is that weak a character, writing wise, Mr. Creamer. She contrasts with Chitose not only in earnestness but also in her understandable nervousness to Chitose's unwarranted confidence, as if to tell her "You should be more nervous". She also makes a convenient target for Chitose to project upon, as both have a cutesy naive affect that Chitose puts on, allowing the author to call out Chitose without making her more sympathetic by someone meanly pointing it out. Certainly it would help her character to be more confident down the line, but at this point it is realistic and not crippling to the point of incompetence. She could be more fleshed out but she's only been on the show one episode so far. Plus I think her flusteredly trying to brush off her accusations was funny.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Compare the quality of the PV of the anime they are making, to the PV of the fairies 3 game that was shown in last season's New Game! episode 11. Note the difference. Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Compare the quality of the PV of the anime they are making, to the PV of the fairies 3 game that was shown in last season's New Game! episode 11. Note the difference. Laughing

I don't think the quality of the PV is a point until the show says it's a point. The most they said about it was that it was distinct so until otherwise, I think it's more to separate what they're doing from the main show. "This is reality and that's an anime" sort of thing. "Terrible anime..."

Oh yeah, this is going to be a fun series of reads.

"The producer comes off as some kind of farce." Yeah, that's why the soundtrack's energy followed his own. If you want a serious look at a serious production of serious anime, watch Shirobako. Right off the bat, Chitose's told it's a harem from Mr. Producer. Not a fantasy, not an action adventure or even a comedy, it's just a vehicle for getting as many girls on screen as possible. So it's great opportunity to do a new idol group for new "talents".

Honestly, my favorite part of the show was how Mr. Producer had zero interest in the key art or production issues with the original creator... been there, seen that... but was more than hyped when it came to selling the overall idea of the work; This always bothered me in Shirobako; If producers were artists then they'd be doing the work not coordinating it. Shirobako hated this kind of producer but not because they're wrong but because they don't put the show first.

But in Shirobako's world, there are great shows and meltdowns but just plain anime shovelware? Not in their lexicon.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Man, that sound producer. It's like if Taro from Shirobako never outgrew his "I'm awesome" phase and went on to own a company. What a nightmare!

I'm not totally sold on Chitose as a likeable MC, but she's for sure an interesting one! Her unapologetic bluntness is really refreshing compared to how we usually see female characters portrayed in anime, and I get a real kick out of that.

I also got the impression that the PV was honestly supposed to look bad, not only in our eyes, but in-universe as well. Why else would they have that "suspenseful" hand clench right before the audience started cheering? Anime hyper But boy, that PV was absolutely hilarious; not a single bit of good animation (gotta wonder what the direction for that was. Make sure no one looks on model? Anime hyper), scenes tossed in with no rhyme or reason. It was great!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the PV was meant to be horrible. You got the sense from it that the background art was pretty fantastic but the work on character models was cheap and horrible. Artistically I think they would have been better if they had mostly focused on the background art and just nailed down a few shots of good character models that at least could be called nice. As been pointed out in the show they have not even finalised the character designs, rather than the blocky mess that moved they could have had still images.

And I think that I am on the side that so far the producer is a bit too incompetent to find quite believable, like not even misguided, but as said earlier like a Taro who never grew. Shirobako did show its hand at bad producers, it was like how the three with different backgrounds all wanted to choose seiyu based on their motives, you could kind of get it.

The main character does continue to be interesting for how she is kind of horrible, or at least inwardly blunt.
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
In terms of SNAFU, the producer honestly reminds me of the cartoonishly incompetent student council from that one arc. It's not quite the same in terms of how they act, but they're definitely the same character. With that in mind, I don't expect him to get any better, but maybe his role will be downplayed as we start to focus more on the Seiyuu side of things. I mean, I assume they'll up spending more time dealing with the actual sounds directors of the anime than the producers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
I agree with Nick that Yae's “constantly flustered cute girl” could be problematic, but the show is doing something that makes that persona funny: namely, Chitose's projection that Yae has a dark heart, etc. Love how Chitose can't wait until she's popular so that she can "cut out the middle margin" - i.e. her brother. Laughing
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
That production meeting was hilarious. I get so tired of interviews with anime workers who aren't willing to commit to a single opinion. This was kind of brutal and I loved it.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I don't think the quality of the PV is a point until the show says it's a point. The most they said about it was that it was distinct so until otherwise, I think it's more to separate what they're doing from the main show.

The assistant producer comments directly on the quality, though, so the show did make a point of it before the PV is even shown to the viewers. (His concern is then dismissed by the producer, of course.)
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
"I'm not so hot on the show's underwritten articulation of the production process"

I'm a bit confused by this comment from Nick. This is a show about voice actors, not anime production in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8