• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
Yuri's not at all into dudes...

Come on, I scoff at most subtext for being so ambiguous. This, it's not ambiguous. It's not even subtext.

Locker room talk. Or, talk about things that, hey, guys don't have to worry about. So we can joke about those kinds of things!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
^Can honestly not tell if you're just joking or making a bad Trump reference.

So I thought the way Yuri and Yurio skated their themes was revealing, to say the least. Yurio seemed to get a handle on his form of agape, but seemed uncomfortable with being that vulnerable in front of an audience, which sounds pretty typical for a teenage boy. Hence why he apologized to his grandpa for focusing on the technical aspects of the routine over the feeling of it.

Yuri, on the other hand, admitted that the dominant seduction of a playboy was ill-fitting and instead adopted a more alluring, sensual form with the implication that the "woman" in his program he was skating as was trying to seduce (read: keep) the playboy, i.e., Victor, from leaving.

The animation suffered a bit this episode, and I can only assume it's because the show had to choose between who to animate well, Yuri or Yurio. I also thought Yuri's sudden yet unabashed hugging of Victor was indicative of how this show is going to play up Yuri's feelings, given how PDA in anime usually gets handled with much more shock and awe.

And I'm very relieved to see that this show might actually commit to something with its BL overtones. I hope it sticks its landing, given that this was the same director who had the guts to make Fujiko Mine of Lupin a woman who relished doing "bad" things, rather than something stupid like being traumatized into it, a narrative trick that I often find is used to preserve a female character's "good girl" image.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what you guys consider obvious but that line of "Who am I dancing for?" with a clearly seductive look towards Viktor, and Viktor answering with a slight whistle, and then saying "I know who" are enough to interpret a sexual intention from Yuuri's part. From Viktor? Not sure, perhaps that will be part of the drama eventually.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, even though I think Yuri might be sexually atracted to Viktor, the word he used in the scene above is "kakkoii", which can mean "cool" instead of "handsome/hot". Depending on how their relationship will develop, the translator might have made the wrong choice there.
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
To be fair, even though I think Yuri might be sexually atracted to Viktor, the word he used in the scene above is "kakkoii", which can mean "cool" instead of "handsome/hot". Depending on how their relationship will develop, the translator might have made the wrong choice there.

Speaking of accurate translations, was that mpreg line really what Yuuri sad? I've never had the need to learn that vocabulary, so I can't tell. But seeing how Crunchyroll takes a lot of artistic license with its translations, I can't help but doubt this line.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Locker room talk. Or, talk about things that, hey, guys don't have to worry about. So we can joke about those kinds of things!

I think the "he was so hot it made me pregnant" joke is made by women more than men.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I don't know what you guys consider obvious but that line of "Who am I dancing for?" with a clearly seductive look towards Viktor, and Viktor answering with a slight whistle, and then saying "I know who" are enough to interpret a sexual intention from Yuuri's part. From Viktor? Not sure, perhaps that will be part of the drama eventually.

You underestimate how far anime studio are willing to go to play both the audience interested by homosexuality along with the audience that doesn't want to see it. Just look at sound euphonium S1 which had plenty of similar scene and in the end did nothing with it.

They can easily say that he was just following his interpretation of the routine, where he play as the girl trying to get the playboy to stay, but without any love or even sexual attraction in the mix. Honestly, even if the two were to kiss they would probably walk back on it "Victor like to kiss peoples when he's drunk" or something like that.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

Speaking of accurate translations, was that mpreg line really what Yuuri sad? I've never had the need to learn that vocabulary, so I can't tell. But seeing how Crunchyroll takes a lot of artistic license with its translations, I can't help but doubt this line.

While kakkoii can indeed be translated as cool, it is also used to refer to hot/handsome men, and in the context of "eros" and sexual love, the nuance definitely goes for the latter

As for Yuuri's line: "男の僕でも妊娠してしまいそうなほどエロス" "It's so Eros it could get even me, a man, pregnant" is a very literal translation. 妊娠する= Get pregnant

You know, your average, run of the mill, heterosexual bro considering the possibility of being heterosexually impregnated by a heterosexual bro.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Valhern wrote:

You underestimate how far anime studio are willing to go to play both the audience interested by homosexuality along with the audience that doesn't want to see it. Just look at sound euphonium S1 which had plenty of similar scene and in the end did nothing with it.

They can easily say that he was just following his interpretation of the routine, where he play as the girl trying to get the playboy to stay, but without any love or even sexual attraction in the mix. Honestly, even if the two were to kiss they would probably walk back on it "Victor like to kiss peoples when he's drunk" or something like that.

That's completely unrelated, I'm talking about interpretation as a character so far, not speculating on whether Yuuri will ask out Viktor or anything like that. If you want my speculation on it, I don't have any faith that this will end in both of them getting together, but I don't think it will go back on Yuuri's character; just like in Euphonium Reina and Kumiko aren't defined by whether they want to get together or not.
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

While kakkoii can indeed be translated as cool, it is also used to refer to hot/handsome men, and in the context of "eros" and sexual love, the nuance definitely goes for the latter

As for Yuuri's line: "男の僕でも妊娠してしまいそうなほどエロス" "It's so Eros it could get even me, a man, pregnant" is a very literal translation. 妊娠する= Get pregnant

You know, your average, run of the mill, heterosexual bro considering the possibility of being heterosexually impregnated by a heterosexual bro.

OH MY GOSH I can't believe the writers actually went with that and made him say it! I'm experiencing some second-hand embarrasment now...Yuuriiiii Embarassed
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
To be fair, even though I think Yuri might be sexually atracted to Viktor, the word he used in the scene above is "kakkoii", which can mean "cool" instead of "handsome/hot".
格好いい, kakko(u)ii, literally means "good in appearance" and, while often used to simply mean "cool", it does have a connotation of "good-looking" or "attractive". Case in point: a scene from Sound! Euphonium. Notice Reina's (the black haired girl's) reaction to Kumiko using the word to describe their band teacher, and Kumiko backtracking afterwards. As is explicitly revealed later in the series, (a mild spoiler) spoiler[Reina has a crush on the teacher], so the scene wouldn't have played out that way if the word simply meant cool and didn't give the impression that Kumiko was viewing him as an attractive male. 格好いい might not be as overtly sexual as the English slang usage of "hot", but given the context of the scene, Yuuri's line delivery and the phrasing of the following line the implications are pretty clear. Speaking of the following line,

+ 光 wrote:
He uses the word 妊娠, ninshin, which refers pretty literally and unambiguously to conception and/or pregnancy.

Edit: crap, got ninja'd pretty hard Embarassed
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
That's completely unrelated, I'm talking about interpretation as a character so far, not speculating on whether Yuuri will ask out Viktor or anything like that. If you want my speculation on it, I don't have any faith that this will end in both of them getting together, but I don't think it will go back on Yuuri's character; just like in Euphonium Reina and Kumiko aren't defined by whether they want to get together or not.

I'm saying they'll purposefully make it vague as to whether or not Yuri is actually sexually attracted to Victor to play to both side taste.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so basically this anime was made for people who like sports shows, but think the problem with Free! is that it was too straight. I appreciate the quality of production, but I don't think this is for me. Back to Hibike! Euphonium I go.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Wow, so basically this anime was made for people who like sports shows, but think the problem with Free! is that it was too straight. I appreciate the quality of production, but I don't think this is for me. Back to Hibike! Euphonium I go.

I think it's more that it was made for people who like sports anime but who consider varying sexualities to be normal. I'm not thrilled because they're gay. Lots of anime characters are gay, they just don't talk about it. I'm thrilled because on this show they finally seem to be actually talking and thinking and acting like it.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
That animation dip was VERY noticable, but they worked with what they could and what really mattered for this episode was the story directing which was very well done. The fanservice is still tasteful and a treat to see. The Bl subtext really does not feel like subtext anymore. At this point, I am fairly certain that both Viktor and Yuri have feelings for one another that are not strictly platonic. Heterosexual men do not usually have thoughts of a man being so sexy they could get pregnant, nor do they usually assume a female role with the intention to "seduce" the playboy. That's pretty freaking gay if you ask me. Do I think they'll date? No, but at this point, those two are wrapped up in each other. There were some other scenes that were a little more than homoerotic, such as the part where Yuri says he'll become a pork cutlet and Viktor says that he loves them while they hug. Outside of that, humor is good and I'm hoping to see more of that maternal bond hinting they were doing with Yurio and Yuko(?). It could make for some interesting character building.

5/5 episode for me once again.

CorneredAngel wrote:
At least, it's now made the gay reading so prominent

Prominent, but still not the only one, or not obligatory or whatever. I mean, hey, whatever makes you happy. Still don't see anythi, though, to support saying that Yuuri is romantically attracted to Victor. Yeah, he admires his form and whatever, but, how behaves himself, who is he, who he sees himself as being, nah, he's not into dudes.

People are free to interpret as they please and that is something I will defend for anyone, but then there is just ignoring stuff that's being bashed over your skull. Saying things that "He's so sexy he could make me pregnant" or "I'm going to seduce the playboy" are, without a doubt, meant to hint at something in a very blatantly manner. I dunno what you say to your male buddies, but if I were to say something like "you're so erotic you can make me pregnant" they would not think I'm very straight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 29