• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keijo!!!!!!!!

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
one special ultimate attack form that heroine Nozomi accidentally discovers is called the Vacuum Butt Cannon.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't watch an episode of Shin Chan by mistake?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting on that Ass of Babylon from the OP.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
This is a show where the girls train by using their breasts to push giant tires Laughing Everyone working on this is just embracing how absurd it is. It's one of those fanservice shows people could enjoy that don't usually watch them,like myself,with the big thing being as pointed out,b being the fanservice not really coming across as creepy with the way it's shot for the most part.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Still waiting on that Ass of Babylon from the OP.

Fear not that comes later.

The series is good, it knows it's silly so it hams it up but it doesn't try to stray away from having those cool sporty moments or fluffy friend moments with the girls.

My one mark against it so far is that it basically skipped the first 30 chapters of the manga, and there's some important stuff in there, like...basically all of Mitaya's backstory and Nozomi's deeper motivations. But it's not that big of a deal since those are actually some of the weaker chapters heck one character from them is just written off like nothing to bring in the roomates, the characters don't really grow till they enter the school anyway so skipping those isn't that big of a deal, I would recommend people catch up on those chapters to fill in a few gaps, specifically Mitaya's background and why she really wants to play Keijo.

I'm excited to see what path the series takes and if they ever flashback to some of the early chapters, the opening has made it clear where the story will end, which makes sense there's not much more manga after that anyway.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I was worried that the absurdity of the focus on butts and boobs (but as they said mostly butts) would get old. So far it has not, vehemently. Like Theron said, some of the exercises were great, but my favorite part, aside from Asstronomy, was when the teacher smacked a piece of chalk with her butt into Nozomi's forehead when she wasn't paying attention. The best part is just how damn serious they are about everything. Keep on keeping on Keijo!!!!!!!!
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm very disappointed by the amount of content they skipped.

But what they have done so far is a good representation of the manga.
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Keijo!!!!!!!! will never be one of the best shows of the season

Already seen a lot of people calling it the or their AOTS Laughing
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't imagine a show that's mostly composed of humor (and drama) centered around butts would be one of the most enjoyable of the season, but I always like a good surprise. It's absurd and trashy but it's really sincere and genuine about itself that it doesn't come off as mean in the least. And it isn't even remotely close to the level of trash I was expecting it to be. The production values are also pretty passable, more so than I usually expect from Xebec. If it can keep this up, we might just have our hidden gem of the season. Very Happy

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I have not laughed this hard in an anime in so long. Great job on the review, Theron
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
okay, okay. Keijo as a sport makes no sense as described in the show.

This is a contact sport, and you win by knocking people down. So why are the characters so slender and look like gymnasts?

No level of "butt cannon" should help you knock down someone with double your body mass. There's a reason why boxing has weight classes. So why do the Keijo athletes not look like Sumo wrestlers?

Or maybe I'm thinking too much.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Or maybe I'm thinking too much.

You're thinking with the wrong head.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Already seen a lot of people calling it the or their AOTS Laughing

I might be in that group. Based only on first episodes, I would have said no way. However, it seemed like every other series where I really loved the first episode failed to deliver a second episode on that level. On the other hand, the second episode of Keijo was even better than the first.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
yer ****** wrong, Keijo is the greatest anime of all time, turn in your butt

[EDIT: We do have at least some language standards around here. - Key]
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
One thing I really liked was the diversity of body types; yes most of the girls have super-sexy figures as you would expect from a fanservice show such as this, but the read-haired teacher (Seal-sensei?) who we have seen a fair amount of so far is definitely not. Same with one of the classmates, the super-tall one, who at this stage is a secondary character but certainly looks to have more appearances based on her prominence in the opening. I'm glad to see them putting at least some diversity in body figures into the show, and showing that they are just as capable at the sport as the thin ones.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Keijo!!!!!!!! will never be one of the best shows of the season, but if the first two episodes are any indication, it could definitely be amongst the most fun shows of the season.

... hmm definitely not Zac or most of the other reviewers.
*click*
I knew it! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12