• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keijo!!!!!!!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
synaia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Okay first the shots you posted from 3 are all identical, the only thing that changes is that NOzomi is like an extra step away.

The one's from Episode two are negligable and basically one shade down on the color wheel, You're overacting to nothing.

Found someone who has no clue what he's talking about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At least learn what aliasing is before replying. If you can't see the jagged edges (=aliasing, which I'm talking about when saying CR encode is bad) then I don't know, it looks even worse in motion.

Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Okay first the shots you posted from 3 are all identical, the only thing that changes is that NOzomi is like an extra step away.

The one's from Episode two are negligable and basically one shade down on the color wheel, You're overacting to nothing.

Found someone who has no clue what he's talking about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At least learn what aliasing is before replying. If you can't see the jagged edges (=aliasing, which I'm talking about when saying CR encode is bad) then I don't know, it looks even worse in motion.

What scenario are you even noticing this even with motion. The streams look fine your complaining about a minor thing that barely anyone would ever notice.
synaia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

What scenario are you even noticing this even with motion. The streams look fine your complaining about a minor thing that barely anyone would ever notice.

what scenario? In almost every frame throughout 25mins per episode for 3 eps in a row. It's really distracting. The higher the quality you watch the worse it gets. It's really bad in the 1080p version, bad in the 720p version and almost not noticeable in the 480p/sd version but those 2 shouldn't even be an option if you have decent internet.

Maybe my eyesight is just better so I notice too much of these details.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch Keijo in 720p because it's not as if it's such a visual spectacle that I'm going to miss anything like in Yuri on Ice, Euphonium or FlipFlap. But that's actually a real detriment in quality of streaming, and if I watched in 720p when I see it it really distracts me a little because that's not how the lines should normally look like.
shadowbringer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
So my confusion from the transition betwen ep 1 - 2 seems to be the weird format wherein thend of an episode is a preview of the next. Either way, i agree that the way they handled the Vacuum butt canon was pretty good from a shounen sports perspective. it does make me curious how/if they will explain Hananbis style, since her entire shtick is Hip Whip lashing her opponents unconscious. Seems that her moves more then any other would lead to heavy self-injury down the line.

the manga did explain Hanabi's style, and she had/has more tools than the cerebral concussion (in the anime, it happened offscreen). More details in the spoilers below:

spoiler[Nozomi knew that she was a softball player before the mock race, and thus can use fast step-ins that are normally used to add speed to her ball throws; in the anime, Nozomi barely dodges Kawai's Butt Guillotine, and can't breathe normally after; in the manga, Nozomi tried to avoid being hit in her chin, but got hit in her solar plexus, which made her breathing become much heavier; Kawai remarked that the chin isn't the only way to disable an opponent, to which Nozomi thought that she doesn't even know how many other weak points she has, or need to protect]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

what scenario? In almost every frame throughout 25mins per episode for 3 eps in a row. It's really distracting. The higher the quality you watch the worse it gets. It's really bad in the 1080p version, bad in the 720p version and almost not noticeable in the 480p/sd version but those 2 shouldn't even be an option if you have decent internet.

Maybe my eyesight is just better so I notice too much of these details.

I have watched this in 1080 and did not notice this effect at all. Maybe it's readily noticeable to you, but it sounds like it's not to the average person.

Or maybe it makes a big difference what screen size you're on? I don't normally watch episodes on my 40" screen since CR discontinued their smart TV app. On a more typical-sized computer monitor, it looks fine to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Still waiting on that Ass of Babylon from the OP.

Technically it's not Ass of Babylon, it's more like Unlimited Ass Works. Seriously.

Episode 3 plays this up, and makes me want to go back to the manga to see if it missed the scene (it is obvious in hindsight) or if the anime added it or expanded it.

Hopefully that is vague enough to not count as a spoiler, but to get more literal.

spoiler[Kazane is basically Shirou. She is Faker who can scan and imperfectly reproduce the techniques (asses) of others. She uses it like Shirou, copying specific technique for specific fights, or breaking them out all at once. Even if it looks more like Gate of Babylon, in other respects the technique is more like UBW because it is copies not the originals.

And I don't remember Ponytail giving out massages in the manga to perform her scans. But like I said, that could just be my memory/lack of focus on her at the time.]
shadowbringer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Still waiting on that Ass of Babylon from the OP.

Technically it's not Ass of Babylon, it's more like Unlimited Ass Works. Seriously.

Episode 3 plays this up, and makes me want to go back to the manga to see if it missed the scene (it is obvious in hindsight) or if the anime added it or expanded it.

Hopefully that is vague enough to not count as a spoiler, but to get more literal.

spoiler[Kazane is basically Shirou. She is Faker who can scan and imperfectly reproduce the techniques (asses) of others. She uses it like Shirou, copying specific technique for specific fights, or breaking them out all at once. Even if it looks more like Gate of Babylon, in other respects the technique is more like UBW because it is copies not the originals.

And I don't remember Ponytail giving out massages in the manga to perform her scans. But like I said, that could just be my memory/lack of focus on her at the time.]

regarding Aoba's "data gathering", it's done differently in the manga. I prefer the anime version of it though, so far. (because spoiler[rather than have training-related screentime during the matches, as flashbacks, having them elsewhere seems better, not interfering as much in the flow of matches; also, the anime's version seems more believable, efficient, and also gives an opportunity for the characters from room 309 to help each other]).
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
shadowbringer wrote:
Snip

That's some interesting info, but it doesn't explain how she can twer-KO someone and not have the cranky ol' grandmother of all hip cramps after her fights. Both the speed and the angel would make an olympic gymnast Nope.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
the anime is adding foreshadowing, they also hinted at (the 4th girl from the group) toyoguchi non's special skill, something that I did not notice in the anime

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/5efa19114b638bc75f1c218c9f92ed13ff62199cd19e0a91601ed3838434b1c2.jpg

yah, that's oshima yuko from akb; did they even mention her name before or just called her nicknames.?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I watch the 720p stream on a 32" screen, and the aliasing is still quite noticeable. I'm not sure that's Crunchyroll's fault, though. Maybe the licensor provided them with badly encoded video files.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
What device were you streaming it with? I noticed nothing on my forty-odd inch TV streaming via PS4, but I did notice jaggies like synaia points out when I was watching Ping Pong Girls on a computer(it was a slow day at work).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
What device were you streaming it with? I noticed nothing on my forty-odd inch TV streaming via PS4, but I did notice jaggies like synaia points out when I was watching Ping Pong Girls on a computer(it was a slow day at work).

My PC's video card is hooked to a TV via HDMI. In fact, since I deliberately turn my TV's sharpness settings way down so that everything looks smoother, I can only notice aliasing when it's really bad.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
That's probably it, then: there's something wrong with the PC encodes that isn't affecting the device encodes.
shadowbringer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
the anime is adding foreshadowing, they also hinted at (the 4th girl from the group) toyoguchi non's special skill, something that I did not notice in the anime

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/5efa19114b638bc75f1c218c9f92ed13ff62199cd19e0a91601ed3838434b1c2.jpg

yah, that's oshima yuko from akb; did they even mention her name before or just called her nicknames.?

in the anime, only her surname (Ooshima) was mentioned in the first episode. In the manga, spoiler[she introduces herself in the school entrance exam arc, and even mentions that her full name is the same as the one from AKB]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12