• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: All Out!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I started reading the manga of this, and I didn't realize how great the joke in the first episode was when Iwashimizu comes back in the eyecatch because he found a dead end. It was a great joke about how characters make a dramatic exit and never knowing if that was where they should be heading, and the awkward walk-back was funny as hell.

Other than that comment, a relatively standard episode, Sekizan is still awesome and is becoming more awesome by each week.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Speaking of that, I think rugby wishes it could even see third place from where it sits on the popularity pole. Basketball, volleyball and tennis are all blocking the view, at least in anime.

Baseball in anime is tremendously popular, either having outright baseball anime, or an anime episode about the characters playing baseball (see: SHIROBAKO, Fate Stay Night UBW, Kamisama no Memo-chou, not surprisingly Sonic X, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in a way and many others) or the use of baseball metaphores.

I don't know if I would really put Basketball as one of the most popular, but two of the three anime I know about Basketball are incredibly popular (Slam Dunk and Kuroko no Basuke...the third one was Ro-Kyu-Bu! but I don't talk about that). The same going for Volleyball, or at least I know only of Haikyuu, despite it being really popular. Tennis is actually popular, I think there are plenty of tennis or tennis-derivated anime.

But if I had to put two of the biggest sports, it would be either baseball or football soccer. In any given year you'll find a series about football, baseball is more classic but there are some here and there anyway.
+ 光

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yasuharu Takanashi's fantastic score shines particularly during Ebumi's scenes. The crying electric guitar accompanying the rebel's secret nightly training session is replaced by a melancholic piano to let Ebumi reminisce about the time he joined the club. When a second string voice joins the previously lonely part to celebrate Ebumi's flashback try after a very effective key frame montage, the heightened-because-it's-shared joy of a rugby team's "lawful brawling" becomes emotionally tangible

^ Yes, yes THIS! Gotta love that Takanashi magic.

The only thing I missed this episode was Ōharano's voice :,) At least they mentioned his name (although only as 'the-guy-to-beat'), and we got an adorable eyecatch of him in the middle of the episode, where he went to bed earlier than the others because he was still upset that they forced him into a scrum Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Speaking of that, I think rugby wishes it could even see third place from where it sits on the popularity pole. Basketball, volleyball and tennis are all blocking the view, at least in anime.

But if I had to put two of the biggest sports, it would be either baseball or football soccer. In any given year you'll find a series about football, baseball is more classic but there are some here and there anyway.

Well, of course. But the review and I were both talking about 3rd place. In my silly totem pole metaphor, 1st and 2nd can't block the view of 3rd for those below that. ;P

To the basketball anime you mentioned I'd add I'll/CKBC, Buzzer Beater (haven't seen BB, but CKBC was an ok OVA - still don't get the title), Dear Boys (aka Hoop Dreams), and Basquatch! (well, giant robot basketball...); there are too many tennis anime to list; and the only other volleyball ones I can think of are Attack on Tomorrow, Attack No. 1 and Attacker You! (all girls' volleyball, amazingly). The only other rugby anime I've ever heard of is Madonna, so at least it's doing better than all the sports with just one anime. Smile
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think rugby wishes it could even see third place from where it sits on the popularity pole. Basketball, volleyball and tennis are all blocking the view, at least in anime.

Judging by popular interest in real-life games, rugby seems to be on the rise - still nowhere near soccer and baseball, but with Japan hosting the next World Cup and 20-25 million people said to have watched some of the 2015 World Cup games, popularity is growing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Oh my lord, the scrums look even more obscene when viewed overhead. Shocked

I liked this episode a lot. Realizing you're the problem is only half the battle though. And trying to change isn't all that easy, when it's become a basic part of your personality. "I need to start doing X, I need to stop doing Y" is simple in your head, but when push comes to shove (literally, here), transitioning from thought to action is much, much harder than this series will most likely make it seem.

But yes, thank goodness for school roofs. Very Happy
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I liked this episode a lot. Realizing you're the problem is only half the battle though. And trying to change isn't all that easy, when it's become a basic part of your personality. "I need to start doing X, I need to stop doing Y" is simple in your head, but when push comes to shove (literally, here), transitioning from thought to action is much, much harder than this series will most likely make it seem.

I think the latest part was supposed to show that, since Gion came to understand what it felt when your teammate needs you to cooperate when he wanted to throw a pass to Iwashimizu, and how his work helped the team to win even if it was a smaller part.

Maybe it was a bit too easy? In the manga it felt pretty right to me and in the adaptation too.

Oh, you were interested in Sekizan's curls? He actually dyed his hair like that, the author said so in his biography page, so I also suppose he curled them so hard they stay like that for his whole life. The author admited that their editor discouraged the design, but they didn't care.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
I didn't really get the relevance of the "6-years-older brother not wanting to play with Gion" part. That's pretty normal for siblings with such a relatively big age gap, no? Was that supposed to be the reason for why he became such a selfish little brat? And for all we know, he didn't grow up in the mountains, there must have been someone around to teach him what teamwork means...
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I didn't really get the relevance of the "6-years-older brother not wanting to play with Gion" part. That's pretty normal for siblings with such a relatively big age gap, no? Was that supposed to be the reason for why he became such a selfish little brat? And for all we know, he didn't grow up in the mountains, there must have been someone around to teach him what teamwork means...

Exactly. Excuses are all he has. You can't get excited over school sleepovers with your new brothers and then treat them as nothing but payback punching bags. He's got to sort out his priorities and seems to be on the right track. I'm sure he's still going to be a brat, just the slightly less selfish version.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

This is slowly getting better. It hasn't been a problem until this episode, but I was having a hard time telling Iwashimizu and Ōharano apart when I couldn't see their numbers. Partly because the helmets change their hair a little, and they're both blond with golden eyes, but maybe also because I didn't realize they were targeting different players until Ōharano's last rant was so far from how Iwashimizu would ever behave I had to go back to sort them out. That's probably not the series' fault though.

Loved the opening scene. Now if we could just get Komori to go over to Days and have a chat with Seiseki's lazy-ass coach...
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Komori's lecture was awesome, i especially liked the "abandoning them doesn't equal granting them independence" part, this definitely got him some more cool old man points in my book.

The rest of the episode was kind of "meh" for me, though. I've never been a fan of the "the evil opponents that play dirty" sports anime trope and rugby seems to be a game where being able to deal with a bit of trash talk is pretty much a basic requirement.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I think Ebumi broke Hana. Shocked The knee to the chin certainly looked vicious enough. Kid probably got whiplash.

The way it was shot I thought at first that Sekizan got kicked in the ribs (even though I actually was expecting a head punt), so the blood splooge seemed to signify internal injuries. Then he got up with his head all bloody, and I was all, "Wait, what?"
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this episode focused on Jinko's growing team spirit rather than Sagami's underhanded tactics. The animation was on point, too, and I still think this show's production values are at least as good as Ace of the Diamond's. Good thing there are still 16 episodes left.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
As I'm able to read more of the manga, more trivia about Sekizan's hair comes up: not only did he dye some flocks, he did it so because he thought it would be very intimidating, and he also curls them up every morning, although he does it with quite the ease.

And it's becoming increasingly intense and very interesting character-wise, this episode here is just the start, I'm looking forward to whatever comes. I'm more a fan of the manga aesthetic though, in the anime is way cleaner and sharper, the manga is more messy and certainly more dynamic.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 was the episode of the Anime I've seen so far this week that I liked the most. Even if it wasn't the best looking episode and honestly this series never has been all that good looking.

For me this is a series that keeps me emotionally invested which is something a sports Anime needs to do because I honestly don't like sports. In short I care about what the characters care about because I care about the characters and All Out does a great job at that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
As I'm able to read more of the manga, more trivia about Sekizan's hair comes up: not only did he dye some flocks, he did it so because he thought it would be very intimidating, and he also curls them up every morning, although he does it with quite the ease.

See, I just have a hard time picturing that. Hopefully, they'll animate him curling his hair. Laughing Are these finger curls, obedient to his indomitable will, or does he use a curling iron?

Episode 11 was very enjoyable. It should be interesting to see SekiZanba face off down the road, and with Sekito playing flanker, I'm sure there will be no room for confusion in me at all...
(gods, I hate shows where all the names are the same - at least the character designs are unique!!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5