• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Drifters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baskerville

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving Nobunaga more and more. Now I'm really interested to see what kind of strategy/tactics Scipio and Hannibal will employ in this world.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Urggh, I can't wait to watch this! Unfortunately, I have exams coming up so no anime for me for the next month. ;(
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Drifters has been really fun to watch so far, but also surprisingly engaging. Despite being a fairly campy/schlocky affair, it's also fascinating to consider the theoretical thought-processes of history's greatest/infamous warriors in an unexpected context of somewhat medieval warfare.

Regarding the rape scene, I actually didn't take it as exploitative when it came up (and it doesn't seem that many people on Crunchyroll did either), largely because the anime thus-far has been fairly sincere in painting the graphic nature of warfare. The raping of the conquered is unfortunately among the "spoils of war", so as offending as it may have been, to me it made sense that it would be happening. Real war is disgusting and gut-wrenching in ways that many people don't often realize, and I think it actually adds weight to the violence in the show thus far when it's demonstrating some of the other dark sides that exist in it as well.

The incongruous humor also actually made sense to me too --- I grew up in a military family, with a father who dealt with a fairly bloody history of battle experience, and was also a highly decorated leader in the armed forces. Despite his traumatic experiences though, he was also a constant and often light-hearted jokester, which in retrospect sort of bridged the madness between his brutality, his brilliance, and his philosophies on life and death.

So for me personally, the detracting points in James' review haven't affected me so far, though I guess we'll see how it pans out over the rest of the series.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
I agree with Kikaioh. Since it was a single shot of what is clearly meant to be horrifying/revulsing scene, rather then something out of an M rated 80's OVA, it felt appropriate for the themes and world building of Drifters up to this point. Especially since it was preceded and book ended by Toyohisas views on conduct in war (which also echoed Nasu's flashback and the disagreement therein).

Overall, this felt like the episode that, as James pointed out, added weight to the spectacle of the drifters. They'r warriors who at times appears as almost inhuman killing maches, but behind the massacres are people with beliefs and goals that has been tampered by years, sometimes decades of war. it was hinted at with Nobunagas reaction to Nobutada's fate, but now it's even more fleshed out with the trios differing views on warfare.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
With Hellsing Ultimate, I held off years before watching 5-10 because I was waiting on the dub. With this, even though a dub is already out, I feel fine watching the sub, I wonder if it is the setting.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Didn't anyone else think the animation took a nose-dive this week? There were a couple of decent scenes but for the most part it seemed like stills with lip flaps.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
With Hellsing Ultimate, I held off years before watching 5-10 because I was waiting on the dub. With this, even though a dub is already out, I feel fine watching the sub, I wonder if it is the setting.

For me that's totally the case. I cant stand hearing hellsing in Japanese because they literally are supposed to be speaking english in the setting it takes place.
Drifters has Japanese characters on the other hand so the opposite seems appropriate.
Obviously it's personal preference but if the dub is good it makes sense to me
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
If only the crappy, unnecessary "comedy" would stop, this would probably be the best show of the season. It has so much going for it otherwise that it makes it all the more frustrating when it happens.

Regarding the rape, I completely disagree with the review. I don't think it was a misstep at all; that's the reality of war, which the show has been delving into in other ways. In fact, I think it would have been dishonest and mildly insulting to the audience if they hadn't been being raped, weirdly enough.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that it seemed more to get shock and anger value, it was far from the worst rape scene in anime. There was very little nudity, no motion, the framing was not tittilating or voyeuristic, the shots were brief and not lingering. And it was not surprising as I was thinking that it would occur since we were told the women were held hostage by the lord. Like someone said earlier, what'd you think they would be doing, serving them tea? Again though it seemed mostly to piss Toyohisa and the audience off about the local lord and his men rather than a thoughtful examination of the weaponization of rape in medieval societies.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I just love how those Orte guys are underestimating the Elves, not knowing that the three Drifters leading them are total badasses . Laughing

When that Elf from the other clan asked if it was okay to trust Toyohisa's group, I thought to myself if my boss can joke around the way they do, then they're worth trusting. Just saying. Mr. Green

Also, never in my years of watching anime have I come across one that has episodes that focus on the many uses for shit. Pure gold, man. Cool
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I want them to give the Elf women bows as well. They've got good reason to fight like banshees. And it beats being herded into rooms to cower helplessly waiting for the outcome of every battle.

I kept waiting for him to say, "You thought it was 'Saint-Germi' but it was me! Dio!" Smile
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I kept waiting for him to say, "You thought it was 'Saint-Germi' but it was me! Dio!" Smile

The funny thing is that Saint Germi is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, who voiced Joseph in Battle Tendency's adaptation
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 Review wrote:
We're living in a world where Hitler is a figure of prosperity and peace (to some)

Uh, I'm pretty sure lots of people in our world thought that when he started to rise.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Regarding the rape, I completely disagree with the review. I don't think it was a misstep at all; that's the reality of war, which the show has been delving into in other ways. In fact, I think it would have been dishonest and mildly insulting to the audience if they hadn't been being raped, weirdly enough.

I agree with you completely. From the point they made it an issue about the women being taken away, it was a necessity. This series has had a very brutal portrayal of what happens in this kind of setting, and the elven women just being locked up in a tower awaiting rescue would have been incredibly out of place. They also did to a good job making the scene come off as brutal/cruel and not erotic because the latter would have also been incredibly out of place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
With respect to this comment from the review:

Quote:
...Oda finishes what Shimazu started and summarily slaughters them. Nobunaga simply wanted to take charge of the proceedings, in what seemed like a combination of responsibility and ego.

My take away from this incident is that Oda was trying to spare Shimazu the ignomy attendant with slaughtering prisoners of war who have put down their weapons. As Oda says himself, he already has blood on his hands so its no biggie if he does it. He knows that killing unarmed prisoners - no matter how justified - goes against Shimazu's bushido code and would probably result in this "pure" warrior having guilt and regret in the future. Which might compromise his usefulness as Oda's tool.
Baskerville

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I took the execution scene the same way as Blood too. Come on, James, no mention of the introduction of Yamaguchi and the Gu Binnen Trade Federation? Can't wait til the next ep...should be the best one so far.

As far as the English dub is concerned, Josh Grelle was fine and Justin Briner was great...I was disappointed with Robert McCollum though, as he sounds just too young for Nobunaga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10