• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yo-Kai Watch: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Besides, I don't know how anyone can think this scene is even remotely funny in Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMwqFs1lKU

It is much more amusing in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzt_0K7izcY

That's probably one of the worst examples you could have used. Scenes involving Engrish are never as funny dubbed because the entire point of a language barrier is lost. I don't get the line in the dub though. Who's Jaden?

Even Japan has noticed how altered the dub is and makes fun of it on their boards.

belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
That's probably one of the worst examples you could have used. Scenes involving Engrish are never as funny dubbed because the entire point of a language barrier is lost. I don't get the line in the dub though. Who's Jaden?

No it isn't, and I don't agree with you either. Jaden is Will Smith's son, by the way.
Dlancy1096

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Besides, I don't know how anyone can think this scene is even remotely funny in Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMwqFs1lKU

It is much more amusing in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzt_0K7izcY

Even Japan has noticed how altered the dub is and makes fun of it on their boards.

Oh no, they slightly moved the positioning of the blade!

The scene would have never made it in unedited on an American kid's channel. It still plays out pretty similarly to the original scene. I'm surprised they managed to get away with that.

And the top scene works fine in English too. I'm pretty sure a lot of American people know who Bruce Willis and Will Smith are.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Dlancy1096 wrote:

The scene would have never made it in unedited on an American kid's channel. It still plays out pretty similarly to the original scene. I'm surprised they managed to get away with that.

It's funny because in the English version, he sounds almost turned on about it rather than it being ticklish like in the Japanese version. If anything, we made it sound subtly naughtier.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Think you got that backwards. It's the dub that changed it to him saying it tickles and having him laugh instead of moaning in pleasure and other altered dialog. Also cutting out other parts like the scene of him bending over and spreading his butt so Karakuri Benkei could put his lance inside him.

Look, if you like the dub, you like the dub. But let's not pretend it's not heavily altered and censored.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
^That's not what I remember from watching the episode. Benkei even called Robonyan a weirdo in the English dub for enjoying his spear getting put inside him so often. He didn't say it was ticklish in the dub, he said he enjoyed the feeling.
Dlancy1096

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Think you got that backwards. It's the dub that changed it to him saying it tickles and having him laugh instead of moaning in pleasure and other altered dialog. Also cutting out other parts like the scene of him bending over and spreading his butt so Karakuri Benkei could put his lance inside him.

Look, if you like the dub, you like the dub. But let's not pretend it's not heavily altered and censored.

Not pretending that it's not censored, just don't see how the edit hurts the scene. What's appropriate on Japanese TV isn't always gonna be appropriate on American TV, and editing it doesn't have a major effect on the show. There's no way they would have been able to keep the kinky stuff intact. Changing it to tickling allowed them to make fewer edits and keep a similar context to the original scene. All kid's dubs are gonna have some censorship one way or another, so why get mad about it?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Dlancy1096 wrote:

There's no way the company dubbing this scene could have edited it themselves since it was literally re-animated in places. Maybe it was done at the request of the US companies or maybe it was just an international master, but pretty sure that was done by the animation studio. Honestly, the music was still pretty suggestive in the dub so the tone doesn't change too much...

Watched through the first season, the dub definitely has some edits but I don't think it's nearly what people are saying it is here...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2