• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: March comes in like a lion

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Man the posts here definitely hit the nail on the head and it's great to see the discussion that the show is trying to warrant. The whole point of Sangatsu no Lion is portray humans and the struggles they go through in life. These are not walking tropes or one dimensional characters that dissenters are trying to portray Gotou as.

To me it looks like Gotou had a brief affair with Kyoko, possibly due to the frustration at the situation of his wife and just his life in general. Then he realized his mistake and feels bad for what he did and is trying to break it off, yet she persists. Does this make Gotou likable? No, of course not. But the whole point is to show that Gotou is human. Humans make mistakes and live life the best they can with their actions. This is why I love March, it revels in its characters and doesn't glorify or obsess over their poor decisions like other 'mature' shows. I'm glad it hasn't shown the specifics to the details of his physical relationship with Kyoko. To me it's irrelevant and would just be distracting, as what does matter is how it affects Gotou and his character rather than the act itself.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Just looked at my show size, which is 11.5 USA, which happens to be 29.5 cm. Here in America, I've always considered my show size to be average, maybe slightly on the larger side for guys, but I guess to the average Japanese person they are giant. That really opened my eyes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I am really nervous about how the show is going to treat Hina's bullying. I'm not a fan of the development. I'm invested in Hina as a character and I just don't want to watch scenes where she's actually bullied or dealing with the emotional consequences of bullying. It's not going to be fun for me, especially since I STRONGLY suspect the show is not going to give me the kind of catharsis I crave when it comes to watching bullies onscreen: seeing them pounded into oblivion. In fact, knowing this show, it might wander off for a number of episodes on some completely unrelated matter before even returning to HIna, leaving me wondering what's going on with her. Ugh.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
However it's portrayed in the coming episodes, I thought Rei's reflection on his ostracization in childhood was good foreshadowing for the reveal of Hina's situation.

It also made me start disliking Kyoko's brother as much as I disliked her before she started getting more screentime in the second half of season 1. God, I hate him.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
It also made me start disliking Kyoko's brother as much as I disliked her before she started getting more screentime in the second half of season 1. God, I hate him.

I know, right? If you're going to push off your chores on someone else, don't complain when the one who assigned them thinks better of that person. They ought to.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am really nervous about how the show is going to treat Hina's bullying. I'm not a fan of the development. I'm invested in Hina as a character and I just don't want to watch scenes where she's actually bullied or dealing with the emotional consequences of bullying. It's not going to be fun for me, especially since I STRONGLY suspect the show is not going to give me the kind of catharsis I crave when it comes to watching bullies onscreen: seeing them pounded into oblivion. In fact, knowing this show, it might wander off for a number of episodes on some completely unrelated matter before even returning to HIna, leaving me wondering what's going on with her. Ugh.

Brace yourself, friend. In my opinion this is one of the greatest arc in this series. I won't write any spoilers, but this arc is not about sufferings (yet it's very heavy nonetheless). And it would probably be last from 4 to 7th episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
@ dark_bozu - normally I don't like knowing even the amount of information you provided above. I prefer to be at absolute information zero which is tough when you post in threads where source material consumers are ahead of us anime first watchers. However, in this case, I'm prepared to make an exception if it gives me hope that this situation isn't going to be handled in a way calculated to drive me nuts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:57 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

I know, right? If you're going to push off your chores on someone else, don't complain when the one who assigned them thinks better of that person. They ought to.

Playing devil's advocate (meaning I don't like him either), the problem as he saw it was that they already thought more highly of him than of their own children, since they praised every little thing to try to make him feel welcomed. As we saw last season, Kyoko wanted to play shogi too, but got shut down in favor of Rei, which really hurt her. It's hardly surprising the kids felt jealous.

Pushing their tasks onto him was a way to try to sabotage him. If he did them, they got out of doing them and the status quo was maintained, but if he refused, then just maybe he'd stop getting all the praise the parents meted out.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
^This. If you consider how much jealousy can already arise between real siblings from getting the feeling that their parents aren't loving them equally, it should come as no surprise that it's even worse if an "outsider" is involved. Im sure the mother meant well and just wanted Rei to feel at home, but maybe she accidentally did neglect the feelings of the other children a bit in the process. The fact that the father's love seemed to entirely depend on shogi ability probably didn't help either...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Playing devil's advocate (meaning I don't like him either), the problem as he saw it was that they already thought more highly of him than of their own children, since they praised every little thing to try to make him feel welcomed. As we saw last season, Kyoko wanted to play shogi too, but got shut down in favor of Rei, which really hurt her. It's hardly surprising the kids felt jealous.

It's certainly understandable, but that doesn't make the behavior any less shitty, not that you're saying it does. I know I phrased it that way, but did we see their mother treating him better than her biological children? With how they had come to see their parent's love as zero sum, either him or them, they would have seen any attention towards him as neglecting them. You do see that in young children with new siblings, but I'm not sure there was anything the mother could have done beyond the other children learning to get over it, but then again I'm not a child psychologist.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Pushing their tasks onto him was a way to try to sabotage him. If he did them, they got out of doing them and the status quo was maintained, but if he refused, then just maybe he'd stop getting all the praise the parents meted out.

The first half seems sensible enough, but the second seems short-sighted at best. It would be one thing if he offered a reasonable excuse for not doing them, but I think it would be perfectly justified if Rei told him to do his own damn chores. If she thought less of Rei for not doing the other children's chores, I'd have to think less of her too. If that is what he thought would happen, instead of their mom telling him to do his own chores, that's pretty short-sighted of him.

To be clear, I actually don't take issue (well, any additional issue) with what Kyoko did with regard to that. My main problem with the brother is how he disingenuously made Rei's actions out as intentionally trying to win favor from the parents instead of doing what the brother made him do. It would be one thing if Rei went out of his way to do them, but I don't think the brother has room to complain about Rei doing the things he forced on him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
...but did we see their mother treating him better than her biological children?

No, but the kids' comments ("He's better at it than I am, isn't he?" "You're always saying he's such a good boy, Mom.") strongly imply it. Rei's narration also said he was trying to win approval from their mother by doing everything he could think of to try to please her, but she still seemed troubled by him. So there were a lot of different points of view expressed over just that one issue. Smile Rei was admittedly apple-polishing for acceptance, the kids were pissed off and jealous that it seemed to be working, mom didn't know what the hell to do about it (and all dad cared about was raising a shogi master), and the siblings were the only ones even voicing that there was a problem.

Also, I'm not sure how old they were in those flashbacks (the brother looked about 10?), but "short-sighted" is practically the definition of the vast majority of kids in that age bracket. The future is 10 min from now, a week at most, and beyond that is a nebulous image of family and career expectations that becomes too foggy to see past 25. But that's ok, because they're immortal. Smile
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
I can't see a reason to dislike or blame Kyoko's brother - he was acting like a kid, while... you know, being a kid. And I think that this is utterly stupid to dislike kids because of their actions. Because their father was so passioned about shogi, and pay little attention to his kids, it's obvious that he's the one to blame. He should have teach his son, what's wrong and what's good, instead of being obsessive about shogi and pay little attention to his kids, which weren't play shogi that good as Rei.
Putting all blame on kids, just like teacher in Koe no Katachi did, is stupidest thing ever.

P.s. I'm not saying that all kids are kind and blameless, no - there's delinquents and scums among them, but I think that they all became like that not because of happy life, not because of good parents and teachers. So, in my opinion, the parents, the adults, who neglect their duty to teach kids, are to be blamed for kids horrible behavior.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Oy, 5 years of drought has ruined me. All that heartfelt emotion pouring out of Akari, and all I could think about was how much water she was wasting. smh

Sensei was great too. As spastic as he gets around Rei, he was doing his best to be parental just as Akari has been, groping for answers while being distracted by Rei's potential love life. Smile

So Akari was pissed at Rei for weighing less than she does? That's a tired joke I could've done without.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
A question for those who have a better memory than I do: why is it that Rei considers Hina his "savior"? I assume she did something back in season 1 that I can't remember and it's bugging me.

I'm not so sure I buy Sensei's advice that in a bullying situation the wishes of the bullied are paramount in deciding how the situation should be handled. All too easy to imagine a bullied person not wanting to make waves and so nothing gets done at all.

Everybody knows the proper way to handle bullies is to throat-punch them, duh.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
^^^
I don't believe it's anything concrete she's done for him and is more abstract and emotional. When she runs off and explains to him how acting to help her friend was something she doesn't regret- it is at that moment that she becomes his savior. Its a kind of caring he's never known and her spirit saves him in turn because he knows its how she feels for him too.
It's represented symbolicaslly with her being the welcoming hand to drag him out of his bush-lined childhood hiding spot.
You could say little real things prior may have built up to that understanding (the way she broke in between he and his sister to give him that one lunch and how she followed up and demanded to know who she was- and how she could help).
She is, to him, the person who will fight to be on his side even when others let him be.

Quote:
Everybody knows the proper way to handle bullies is to throat-punch them, duh.

...I think you'll find that to be the way to survive in prison.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 19