• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: March comes in like a lion

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A question for those who have a better memory than I do: why is it that Rei considers Hina his "savior"? I assume she did something back in season 1 that I can't remember and it's bugging me.

I'm not so sure I buy Sensei's advice that in a bullying situation the wishes of the bullied are paramount in deciding how the situation should be handled. All too easy to imagine a bullied person not wanting to make waves and so nothing gets done at all.

Everybody knows the proper way to handle bullies is to throat-punch them, duh.

1) Even though Hina helped different child and not Rei himself, she's proclaimed and done something that Rei was desired all his life - she's showed him, that he HADN'T done anything wrong, and people around him at fault. Knowing it and understanding is different thing. She's literally crushed a walls in his mind with her actions. "Ah, so this is actually is wrong, I was right..." Something like that, imho.

2) Yeah, I would punch those bullies myself, but they're picking up on weak kids, that couldn't pay back for what bullies did.

And there's those bullies that would target you despite being beaten up, just like that girl in March. Actually, the violence towards those bullies would be in their favour, because they would blame you being the one who bullied people around. It would be much easier if they would try to fight with Hina, but they are weaklings and would cause harm on the sly, stealing her things etc. So there's no opportunity to strike back unless she's caught them red-handed, which is almost impossible.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

So Akari was pissed at Rei for weighing less than she does? That's a tired joke I could've done without.

Those jokes shows how cute and girlish Akari is, despite being treated by other peoples as "grown-up woman".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Those jokes shows how cute and girlish Akari is, despite being treated by other peoples as "grown-up woman".

Yeah, no. Way too many anime women, of all ages and classes, are tsundere about their weight. It's depicted as a female thing, not a teenage thing. It's long past being funny, if it ever was.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Way too many anime women, of all ages and classes, are tsundere about their weight. It's depicted as a female thing, not a teenage thing. It's long past being funny, if it ever was.
I've also noticed a pattern that in anime with predominately young female casts it's usually the most mature, level-headed and responsible one who has those weight issues - Yomi from Azumanga Daioh, Kagami from Lucky Star, (arguably) Mio from K-On!, Nagi from A-Channel, Kaya from Wake Up, Girls! in the current season, etc. In some of these cases the reason for writing the characters that way is probably "gap moe" - the cuteness/hilarity of an otherwise serious character having such trifling worries, but the overall message it ends up sending has always rubbed me the wrong way..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
@ Spastic Minnow & dark_bozu: thank you for your responses. That interpretation makes sense and relieves me from the burden of trying to figure out what specific action Hina took in the past to "save" Rei. I'm SURE I would have figured it out for myself if I wasn't so preoccupied with my work on unified field theory.

*shifty eyes*
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So Akari was pissed at Rei for weighing less than she does? That's a tired joke I could've done without.

I felt it was more like the grandparent take: "You're too skinny, boy! Have you not been eating?"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
^ That doesn't explain why she's so annoyed with him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It's obvious why she's so annoyed with him. He, a male, weighs less than she, a female does. And since we all know that broads are basically incredibly vain, sensy bimbos, she got her fat nose out of joint. Geez, it really kills the humour when you hafta explain a joke.*

*The above is intended for satirical purposes and does not reflect the true feelings of the poster who is, ya know, incredibly woke.
aifhak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
can I just get in real quick to say I am really happy that Shaft is animating this?

I know a lot of people give it shit for being too shafty a lot of times when it isn't needed but that ep28 looked really good.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
They are doing an INCREDIBLY good job of presenting the bullying behavior, because I am now spending a RIDICULOUSLY, inordinate amount of time trying to think of "realistic"/actionable ways that Rei could handle the bullies. Like its gotten to the point that I ask myself "is it too much to bully some OTHER (fictional) people and potentially ruin their lives", but then I think about what they did to Chiho (and how much therapy she needs) and I think no, they really deserve a lot of pain for CONTINUING with their abusive behavior.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope HIna's moron of a teacher is finally waking up to what's going on in her class. Ultimately, she - and the school authorities - are the only ones who can solve this problem. God, I just want this bullying arc to end. I've known from the start that I won't get the kind of catharsis I crave from it - the show is simply too realistic for that - so I just want it over.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I certainly hope HIna's moron of a teacher is finally waking up to what's going on in her class. Ultimately, she - and the school authorities - are the only ones who can solve this problem. God, I just want this bullying arc to end. I've known from the start that I won't get the kind of catharsis I crave from it - the show is simply too realistic for that - so I just want it over.

I got impatient and hunted out the manga. I'm glad I did because apparently this is gonna take WAY too long to resolve because of cut-aways to other stories. That said spoiler[apparently the TEACHER is gonna break before Hina. And while I don't agree with her reason for not doing something, it makes a depressing kind of "sense". That said,
her replacement is MUCH better, albeit the fact that a replacement is "necessary" should tell the school a LOT.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not reading that spoiler because I don't want to know, but ffs, I KNEW this show wouldn't resolve the arc in a continuous fashion. Great, now were going to cut away for other stories and leave this hanging. Jesus effing Christ.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Damn, the new episode was done great. I applause to Shaft, Shinbo and his team - they once again nailed the depiction of emotions. Hate, despise and wish to make those bullies experience the same thing they did - I remember how overwhelmed by this speech I was when I read manga and Shaft were able to recreate this scene flawlessly.

Blood- wrote:
Great, now were going to cut away for other stories and leave this hanging. Jesus effing Christ.

NOPE. You're mistaken. Even though there would be another stories, this arc won't be putting on halt. Just take real life as reference - sometimes parents are forced to deal with their child problems (bulling etc) while working and resolving their own problems. A little spoiler about that bulling spoiler[it would just stopped to escalating, but it won't be gone without a trace - bulling is not such an easy thing to resolve. There wouldn't be a point if Umino done a shounen-twist with Hina simply beating or killing every bullies.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
A take away was the sheer anger or rage that Hina felt over the bullying, something I am well acquainted with, and expressed well. The teacher seems to have finally started to see that something is wrong, and you would think that based on her reaction that it is almost slight against her, and not the extent that her inaction has clearly caused harm. Maybe she is now really worried that she might be the one in trouble that things have actually escalated under her watch? I think the bullies were shown sweating to, I don't think expecting Hina would actually leave it there to be seen.

Well, at least there is hopefully the case that HIna is aware that people have her back, part of the worry might be that the guy's presence was forced on without her wanting him and make things worse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
@ dark_Bozu - I sure hope you are right. Again, I didn't read your spoiler because I don't want to know stuff from the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 19