• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: March comes in like a lion

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I loved how this episode managed to convey the two of them wordlessly developing a bond through playing shogi alone. Hearing Rei's thoughts about experiencing "this bright and quiet place where there's nothing to be afraid of" was especially poignant, knowing that shogi has been more of a means to survive than a source of comfort to him in the past.

But i really want to know more about Souya now. While being a mystery may be part of his character, this series is usually pretty good at developing side characters and giving us insight into their minds without having to delve into lengthy backstories.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
But i really want to know more about Souya now. While being a mystery may be part of his character, this series is usually pretty good at developing side characters and giving us insight into their minds without having to delve into lengthy backstories.

Souya has always been a mysterious and eccentric character in the show based on the actions and behaviour he has demonstrated. I've also wanted to learn more about him ever since his first appearance in the first season. From what I've gathered in the latest episode, it seems to imply that Souya is deaf not in a physical sense but rather in a symbolic manner: Souya is aloof, out of touch with reality, and absorbed into the world of Shogi. He is a "shogi demon". Is there a possibility that he's partially deaf? Yes. Whatever the case may be, I hope the next episode will provide us more insight into his character since the preview said "his hearing comes and goes". 3-gatsu no Lion excels at characterization through visual metaphors and doesn't rely on lengthy backstories like you said.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I loved how this episode managed to convey the two of them wordlessly developing a bond through playing shogi alone.

And getting a hotel room in the rain. Souya can obviously speak, and yet he never said a word during their whole adventure. Rei just had to follow his gaze or where he was pointing to get the answers from him. It was both charming and disturbing.

I keep coming back to his reaction when Rei touched him to wake him up. I'm not sure what to make of it yet. It seemed like there was more going on in that moment than just being startled from sleep prematurely. He was afraid, but I'm not sure of what.
Clematis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
Maybe he's an autistic savant. /randomguess
Accelerator Fifth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
yep nothing changed, nick creamer ur reviews of 3-gatsu are just as bad as i remember them to be, so thats how a biased hater reviews an outstanding anime, btw awesome episode they really got it down with yanigaharas internal struggle and shimadas hope for a win, just awesome
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Clematis wrote:
Maybe he's an autistic savant. /randomguess

This is what I get out of his character too. I'd be really surprised if a manga/anime whose plot has so frequently revolved around the difficulties in socializing would unintentionally create a character that seems like they're on the spectrum by accident.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Is Shogi really that physically taxing? Saku seems more like 76 than 66, especially given the Japanese stereotype of being healthy and long-lived.

The opening bit with the poster nearly killed me. I couldn't believe how much mileage they got out of something as simple as oval photos. Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
The thumbnail reminds me of Rakugo.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is Shogi really that physically taxing? Saku seems more like 76 than 66, especially given the Japanese stereotype of being healthy and long-lived.

Well, i imagine that being hunched over a board for hours would be pretty hard on your back. Plus, there seems to be a lot of mental stress that comes with being a top player, resulting in various issues from stomach troubles to sudden hearing loss and Saku has managed to be at the top for a very long time.

I loved the visuals in this episode with the sashes representing the hope but also the pressure that's been put on Saku.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well, i imagine that being hunched over a board for hours would be pretty hard on your back. Plus, there seems to be a lot of mental stress that comes with being a top player, resulting in various issues from stomach troubles to sudden hearing loss and Saku has managed to be at the top for a very long time.

I loved the visuals in this episode with the sashes representing the hope but also the pressure that's been put on Saku.

Nail on the head there.

Greatest stress would be the mental. But of course being hunched over a board isn't going to do any good. From what we've seen so far, the matches are all day affairs that go into the night. Lack of proper meals affects that too. So imagining a man in his 60s that has had a life of that...yeah he'd be having some troubles for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd normally fault a show for possessing as little apparent focus as March, but cataloguing Rei's journey out of depression is ultimately just one of many stories March wants to tell. The series is more a consistent series of destinations than a vehicle for one story and message; like a long-running sitcom or slice of life show, its narrative shapelessness and dramatic malleability are part of the appeal. Jumps like this episode's shift can feel discordant and less propulsive than the show could be, but I'm ultimately happy with March's choice to ramble wherever it so chooses.

And you have been faulting it for that for nearly 40 episodes. I'm glad you've finally made peace with its unusual structure. Better late than never. Smile

I guess there's only 3 more episodes left? But unlike Nick, I didn't get the feeling that we were wrapping up the bullying arc at all, but rather entering a new stage of it. The manga is ongoing and I don't think this will have an anime original ending, so there may be more seasons in the wings. While they might write to a reasonable stopping point, I don't expect it to feel concluded, nor does it feel like they wrote themselves into a corner. The teacher wasn't sheaving the harvest, he was planting the seeds, which we may or may not get to see sprout.

It's probably just me, but Momo's voice is really getting on my nerves. Yes, little kids are high energy, but she always sounds like she's on the verge of an explosive, can't-speak-actual-words tantrum, even when she's happy.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 ended up being a much better emotional and narrative experience than the first season. I am very glad because March has always had the potential to be a great anime show. Episode 44 looks like the ending for the anime. It is an adequate stopping point, but if there is more source material, I would like to see more; especially if it deals with Rei confronting and making peace with his adoptive parents and siblings.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I see lots of opportunity to continue on myself. I want to see Rei and Hina together at school. I want to see Akari start dating Hayashida. I want to see Rei play a match with Souya. And that's just for starters.

I haven't given a show a ten rating at MAL since 2010's Cross Game until this season of 3-gatsu. I liked the first season well enough (gave it a nine), but this installment definitely surpassed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19