• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Right Stuf to Release Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket on January 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
This is excellent news for two reasons. Not only does it permit younger fans to become acquainted with perhaps the most poignant scene from any UC Gundam title, but it also awards the accompanying jokes about spoiler[raw hamburgers] all of their former currency.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This is excellent news for two reasons. Not only does it permit younger fans to become acquainted with perhaps the most poignant scene from any UC Gundam title, but it also awards the accompanying jokes about spoiler[raw hamburgers] all of their former currency.

If we're talking about Gundam 0080 poignant scenes, my vote is for the last scene. Heartbreaking and chilling.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
Only DVD? I could have swore there was a blu-ray floating around...
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
This one happens to be one of my favorite Gundam series ever. I remember staying up late to watch this on Adult Swim back in intermediate school.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Only DVD? I could have swore there was a blu-ray floating around...

No Blu-ray in Japan yet, just like Gundam X. Thankfully G is coming out now (and the first set looks awesome) so hopefully one of those two is next.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
Best UC Gundam. It actually has realism, it's well scripted and it looks amazing. The dub is also very, very good, both vocally and script wise. I prefer Daisuke Namikawa's take on Al, but Brianne Siddall's take is solid as well, not to mention David Hayter as Bernie and Wendee Lee as Chris.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
As far as just pure writing, just pure plotting, character development, and emotional depth, it's hard (if not impossible) to beat Gundam 0080 in the Gundam franchise, or just mecha anime in general. I already own the DVDs from Bandai Entertainment, though, so I'm going to wait for a Blu-Ray release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I already own the DVDs from Bandai Entertainment, though, so I'm going to wait for a Blu-Ray release.

Same here.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
I really hope Right Stuf fixes the missing audio issues in episode 3 of the dub.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Best Gundam, all Gundams.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
This is excellent news. We definitely need this. A friend considered this his favorite Gundam. As I've heard it being one of the best chapters in the franchise.
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Cool. This is my favourite Gundam OVA. Short but, so good.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
I own the Bandai dvds. I guess there is no reason to double-dip unless there is a audio/visual improvement over the previous release. Can't wait for right stuff to release G Gundam and 0083 on bluray. I shelled out a bit of money for the Gundam thunderbolt bluray and it's one of the best looking transfers I've seen. I'll be interested to see how the older remastered shows hold up.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
If we're talking about Gundam 0080 poignant scenes, my vote is for the last scene. Heartbreaking and chilling.

I don't often cry over anime, but I'll admit to shedding more than a few tears at this series ending. That entire last episode is probably one of the best episodes of Gundam ever made.

penguintruth wrote:
I already own the DVDs from Bandai Entertainment, though, so I'm going to wait for a Blu-Ray release.

I have them too. But for older anime (pre-2000), if I already have the DVD I generally don't bother getting the Blu-Ray; I usually don't see much difference in picture quality, and frankly I'd rather spend my money on something I don't already have. (Like Gundam ZZ, V-Gundam, or G-Gundam).

Last edited by DeTroyes on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
the green death

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Wish it was bluray but I'll still all about this! Never seen this series and hear that it's one of the brightest moments in all of Gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2