• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iron Man & Space Brothers Crossover Manga Printed in Women's Magazine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
No thanks. Most American comics (superheros in particular) are boring and overused. Don't need them in manga. I like less mainstream American comics, because at least they don't keep rehashing the same stories over and over.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, adding Stark to a fairly grounded, realistic series is a bit out of place, but it sounds like he enjoyed the experience regardless of writing Iron Man.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Ok, that sounds hilarious and something Tony would do.
Can't wait to read that crossover.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Could be interesting. I wonder if it will ever get an official U.S. release.
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
No thanks. Most American comics (superheros in particular) are boring and overused. Don't need them in manga. I like less mainstream American comics, because at least they don't keep rehashing the same stories over and over.

You must be so smart and above the rest of us plebs.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:

'Yawn' Another "American comics are bad" post.

Shut up and go an read Saga, Copperhead, Doom Patrol, Invincible, or heck, even the UK's own 2000AD and THEN tell me with a straight face western comics suck.

Otaku are the worst.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Shut up and go an read... Doom Patrol....

Depends on the era. Grant Morrison era, by all means; Rachel Pollak era, not so much.

Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man is also a must read. And lets not forget Watchmen and Sandman...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Do Japanese women's magazines have the inserts with the perfume sample flaps? That's all I can imagine while hearing about this crossover, what it must smell like while you're reading it and I don't generally associate Iron Man with perfume.

Does FraU often run one-shot manga?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:
Shut up and go an read... Doom Patrol....

Depends on the era. Grant Morrison era, by all means; Rachel Pollak era, not so much.

Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man is also a must read. And lets not forget Watchmen and Sandman...

I find Gaimans SANDMAN frustratingly over rated and exposed. I genuinlydo not see what all the fuss is about. But then again, I think THE MAXX is basically the best comic of the last 20 years so....

Oh, and as for DOOM PATROL, as great as the Morrison run is, the new run just started is looking to be a foozy...
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:

LOL, but I bet you love Shonen Jump. So much better. I mean, there's that story about a guy who wants to get stronger in some way. Oh wait, I just talked about most Shonen Jump manga. Also, at least American superhero comics standalone. You don't need to know content in the 30s Superman to read the modern comics.

But objectively speaking, American superhero comics do have sharper details and colour. That's pretty evident. If you prefer realism, they're better proportioned.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Yeah, adding Stark to a fairly grounded, realistic series is a bit out of place, but it sounds like he enjoyed the experience regardless of writing Iron Man.

Very True. Perhaps Mutta is suffering from asphyxiation and is dreaming of meeting Tony Stark / Iron man on the moon after watching one of the Marvel movies?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
It's in there, because Iron Man-or at least the Downey iteration-is big in Japan. For them, it's kinda like how we got into anime by discovering Akira. So, even if you're not into 'em, please don't make 'em feel bad for suddenly being interested in our comics. Especially since that Iron Man thing might actually help boost interest in Space Brothers over here.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

LOL, but I bet you love Shonen Jump. So much better. I mean, there's that story about a guy who wants to get stronger in some way. Oh wait, I just talked about most Shonen Jump manga. Also, at least American superhero comics standalone. You don't need to know content in the 30s Superman to read the modern comics.

But objectively speaking, American superhero comics do have sharper details and colour. That's pretty evident. If you prefer realism, they're better proportioned.

Where'd you get the idea that I love Shonen Jump? I didn't indicate whether I did or didn't in any way. If you must know most Shonen Jump titles don't appeal to me (anymore) and the ones that do mostly don't have the formulas you speak of, ie Death Note for example. And regarding art style, case by case but manga are cleaner whereas (serious) seinen manga have the detail and better proportions you speak of (Golgo 13 for example).

And regarding 30's Superman, THAT is the problem. It NEEDS to be updated constantly for current readers. Fans who spit on anything old. It NEEDS to be modernized, it NEEDS to be dark, it NEEDS to be. Why do you need everything to be concurrent? Why do you have a phobia of the past? Why is age a factor before you decide to read something you've never seen before? I think the comics fanbase has more issues than I would if I were a mere shonen fanboy.

Hawkmonger wrote:

'Yawn' Another "American comics are bad" post.

Shut up and go an read Saga, Copperhead, Doom Patrol, Invincible, or heck, even the UK's own 2000AD and THEN tell me with a straight face western comics suck.

Otaku are the worst.

You know, I was only talking about mainstream superhero titles, not all American comics, you IDIOT!! It's even more obvious when you read the comment in full. Maybe YOU ought to do some reading yourself. Find something without pictures because it seems you need to learn how not to rely on them to aide you. And regarding your recommendations, I've read others but I'm gonna give these a miss just because YOU recommended them.

Nitsugalego wrote:

You must be so smart and above the rest of us plebs.

I wasn't trying to prove the level of my intellect. It was just my opinion. But thanks : )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1