• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ClassicaLoid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
When the penguins appeared, that was funny enough in itself, but when one of them was Napoleon, I just couldn't stop laughing. Absolutely hilarious.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Rose wrote:
Quote:
Before that comes up (at the very end of the episode), he tells Kanae to beware of someone named "King." This character reveals himself while Mozart and Sousuke are returning from their hunt for the black fillings. "King" uses a mouse to corner Mozart, who is only able to escape with the help of a cat. King is a fairly mouselike human himself, who sports big front teeth and runs in fear from the growling cat. Mozart and Sousuke make it home, but it's clear that King has a bigger mission in mind. He calls in an assist from Tchaikovsky and Badarzewska. "King" is clearly aligned in some way with Bach-sama, with a goal to bring all the Classicaloids back under his wing.

I'm fairly sure that there is no "human King" but that King actually is Tchaikowsky's mouse (king).

It was good to finally get a reason for Beethoven's gyoza obsession and i'm hoping we'll learn more about how and why the ClassicaLoids were created soon (and why Bach-sama talks like that...).
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, I got a headache from all the laughing I did from this episode! Oh God, those penguins were beating up the Kings! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Rose wrote:
Before that comes up ... he tells Kanae to beware of someone named "King."

Did that happen? I thought she was expecting "King" because King called her and said he was coming to get something back from her father. Question

This show could put me off gyouza forever, but at least that mystery's solved now. And the Napoleon emperor penguin was great.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This was the episode where the show jumped the shark for me I really liked it when it started but now it just all feels so unfunny and weird for its own sake I'll still watch it but this kind of let me down as I thought it could at least be something more than what it is now.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Did "In the Hall of the Mountain King" ever play at any point in this episode? I didn't hear it, which left me sorely disappointed.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Towards the end, Liszt said something about how a girl's day out doesn't have to be just girls. Confused

If there's men in the group, then it's not called a girl's day out. It's an outing with friends, guys and gals.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
^ That's not what she meant. She was saying that men can be at a "girls' day out" as long as their presence doesn't impede the girls letting their hair down and saying what they really think (especially about men). That's a very different ambience from just going out in a mixed group of friends.
evareigoki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The lyrics to the ED of ep10, in context, were heartbreaking.

Once you were able to get past the high speed 16th notes and parse out what was actually being said, that is...
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought ep 11 was the most hilarious of the show so far. I still laugh just thinking about it. I can't decide if spoiler[Beethoven and the washer or him trying to distract Kanae was the best scene.]
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the seeming confusion in the plot of episode 12 regarding Bach's strange change in demeanor might be deliberate. Whenever Professor Otowa (Kanae's.father) and Bach appeared together in episode 6 the face of Bach was always strangely obscured. It was really blatant when they were standing at the window with a swath of unnatural black shadow hiding his face.

I suspect that the show might be playing games with Bach's real identity, and that there is a connection between Bach and the Professor that has yet to be revealed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Maybe they were just hiding his face then hoping we wouldn't recognize him now when he showed up at the mansion without his wig.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
That was a really good episode! The sequence from Schubert's prespective where he slowly realizes that he's turned into a fish was pretty awesome, it had an almost kafkaesque (just in a slightly more...funny way) feeling to it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Schubert is my favorite character, so this was easily my favorite episode. I even stayed through the end credits and got a chuckle out of Snail Sousuke making the rounds of the screen perimeter.

If only he'd been a smart enough fish to spell out "I am Schubert" instead of "I want my freedom!" Would have been easier too.

I'm still not clear how he got from the tub into the washer, but I wasn't surprised when he popped out because of the sound design muffling their voices when she added the load.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the animation in the first half of the episode, particularly Chaiko's dramatic overreactions and Bąda's slap sending Kanae spinning. And turning A Maiden's Prayer into an enka song was a great bit of creative weirdness.

Quote:
Tchaikovsky floats to her sun dressed like Icarus, insisting that the "countless stars paint the universe that floats around the Sun." Either this is an awkward translation or Tchaikovsky is really bad at astronomy, but the scene's overall effect is stunning and touching.

The translation is kind of awkward, though it's hard to come up with a more exact one thanks to Chaiko's Tōhoku dialect (I'm not even sure if the dialectal particle さ is used correctly in the beginning of the line), the fact that the word 星 (usually translated as "star") traditionally refers to all celestial bodies capable of emitting or reflecting light (though generally not including the Sun or the Moon) and the fact that the verb めぐる can mean either "to go around" and "to surround". I'd probably go with "What paints this universe are the nameless stars and planets around the Sun".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4