• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ClassicaLoid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

SHD wrote:
"we won't use the 'l' word"

Theydidn't use which word exactly, come again?

Quote:
"we won't let them openly talk about their relationship, only in skating terms"

"ambiguously and platonically skating together to a song about two lovers finding each other and staying together forever is the best way to show how good friends and nothing more than friends they are" is what you're saying, I take?
I also find it very moronic to dismiss an artform as a legitimate way to convey your feelings, but anything flies with you people, doesn't it?

Quote:

"they're going to deny being engaged even just symbolically, even though homosexuality is not supposed to be a big deal in their world"

Sure mate

The grasping at straws while simultaneously ignoring everything that was explicit about the series will never cease to amuse me.

You didn't even read what I wrote, did you. How about reading my post and replying to that instead of making me into a strawman and putting words into my mouth.

Also, about "love", it's not me who's grasping at straws here. Two examples you linked are from the character basically roleplaying, and the rest are from outside-canon interviews (translated, even). From what I remember the series never once made their relationship explicit with words and actions. No explicitely shown kiss, no direct talking about their relationship, only using skating as an analogy. Engagement? It gets shot down both in the show and in interviews. Marriage proposal? "Almost." The intent was loud and clear but there was no actual, textual acknowledgement of the two characters having, in fact, a gay romance and being in a gay relationship. Intent and subtext and analogies we've had since the '90s and it's nothing new or revolutionary. When you, for example, have two characters kiss but shy away from actually showing their lips locking, and then instead of confirming that "yes, that there was indeed a kiss, these dudes are having a romantic relationship" you say something like "it's what you want it to be" I wouldn't really call that awesome and fearless LGBTQ representation.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Two examples you linked are from the character basically roleplaying

Uh, no. Those two shots are from episode 6 in which Victor explicitly tells Yuuri to stop roleplaying as a woman to seduce him and to use his own personal charm. And even if that wasn't the case, the other two shots are explicit uses of the word love in regards to their relationship. But of course, anything that doesn't fit with your complaints doesn't count, yes? Likewise, the writer herself saying how she and the director took a story about a skater who "took strength from thinking of their lover" as the inspiration for making the whole show about love apparently doesn't count either, because I guess the word of the author only counts if it looks like it fits with your "baity ambiguity" narrative.

SHD wrote:
Engagement? It gets shot down both in the show and in interviews. Marriage proposal? "Almost."

Again, no. What gets "shot down" is the claim that they're already married, which they obviously aren't. After Victor says they're engaged, it is not, in fact denied by anyone. It's kind of amazing how Victor's two affirmations (which at the very least is explicit, textual proof of his intent into the relationship) count for nothing for you people, even when neither is denied by Yuuri -when Victor says it sounds like a marriage proposal, Yuuri just smiles-, but literally anything will count as a "denial" even if it didn't happen.

Did you even read about the roundtable interview with Reiji Yamada -who is close friends with Sayo Yamamoto and according to his wikipedia page, is generally concerned with social issues- I linked? Here's the video if you don't trust translations. Around 2:05 he talks about how "they clearly live in a gay world [...] they never have to say 'but we're both guys!!' [...] In this world men can fall in love with men and it's totally normal". It's not just Western media grasping at straws to praise its LGBT representation, but Japanese audiences and people close to the creators are seeing it too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

EPIC MUSIK BATTLES OF HISTORY!!

SCHUBERT

VS

EVERYBODY!!

Who Won? Who's Next?!

>.>
<Ahem> I definitely related to Schubert in this one. Smile And he shouldn't have to pay rent, given all the work he does, including landscaping.

Didn't like the Professor deflecting his "Why did you leave me behind?" question with the avocado thing (do they really eat them skin and all in Japan? Yuck). I guess that scene does explain the self-centeredness and total lack of compassion of all his creations, including his daughter, to a lesser degree.

Funny, I always associate Der Erlkönig with ships being tossed on a stormy sea, not a night ride through the forest with a sick child. Obviously got it from cartoons using it in that context, but I don't know which one(s).
luffyouforevergraysama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else find it fascinating that the ClassicaLoid take on real Schubert's talent for putting poetry to music was translated into rap? This made me happy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
I don't think it was out of nowhere, through the whole run Schubert has kind of been shat on by most others in them just ignoring him. That none of them really care about him, and his attempts of trying to connect with his idol have just met no acknowledgement. I could really sympathise with his frustration.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't think it was out of nowhere, through the whole run Schubert has kind of been shat on by most others in them just ignoring him. That none of them really care about him, and his attempts of trying to connect with his idol have just met no acknowledgement. I could really sympathise with his frustration.

This. Plus, Schubert dissing everyone, including his beloved "senpai" was absolutely hilarious. I don't think this show has ever made me laugh so hard before. Surprised
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Schubert is best Classicaloid. I coughed up lung laughing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 22
Quote:
only to learn that he lost one bean

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that the extra bean was the one we were shown falling off the counter during his previous attempt at counting.

I kept wishing he could go visit Tree Kangaroo and the Red Squirrels behind Polar Bear's Cafe so he could really learn all about coffee from the masters. Smile
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
One of the hilarious things about Too Much Coffee Beethoven was that there really are people who are very nearly as obsessive when it comes to making coffee. Must have the right number of the right types of beans and ground with the right type of grinder then use water at the right temperature with the right filter, etc.

Admittedly during the playground scene I was expecting the police to turn up and haul him off.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 23-24

That was fun, I'm glad I watched them back to back. Looks like there's still another episode to come before they close up shop.
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
What really surprising about episode 21 is the Parappa-esque artstyle they ended the rap with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4