• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Addresses Audio Issues on Code Geass R2 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Kyjin wrote:
I recall the original Bandai release had an issue too with one of the Season 1 discs. I got a replacement DVD for one of my discs at some point.

That was discs 1 & 2 which weren't the only defective Bandai releases at the time as others affected were Zegapain, Gurren Lagann (both sub-only & later dub/sub releases), I believe Lucky Star and some others I'm forgetting atm. In Bandai's case though, that was because of a bad replicator problem and it was why they switched to Technicolor in 2009.

Quote:
Code Geass is my favorite series, but I already have the CE from the original Bandai release, so I'm passing on this one. The difference in BluRay quality isn't enough to convince me to reinvest in the series.

If you're into extras, FUNi's R2 discs actually includes the picture dramas that Bandai didn't get...unfortunately they're missing other extras from Bandai's releases of that season (see here).
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
bs3311 wrote:
about time, Can they also remedy their peeling/tilted art box for this like what happened with psycho pass? Along with their KS screw up for wrong colored cases, late delivery and jokes towards UK customers requesting em to charge funi 1 million pounds?
For context on these:
Quote:
So apparently according to backerkit the shipping cost to the UK for Escaflowne is $1,000000 yeah very funny FUNi
https://twitter.com/thedoctor2016/status/722212770406604801
Quote:
https://twitter.com/thedoctor2016/status/722213250583130112
Quote:
Its there little joke they won't ship to the UK I think I ain't laughing though
https://twitter.com/thedoctor2016/status/722213930182033408

They also advertised clear cases for the Escaflowne Collector's Edition, but the retail CE ended up with blue cases instead. The Kickstarter CE ended up having the clear cases.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?54819
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12784681#post12784681
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12784962#post12784962

Why are people whining that Funimation doesnt ship Escaflowne to the UK? From the very beginning Funimation made it very clear they ONLY got the US/Canada rights. They clearly said in the KS funding that they cannot send it to Europe. The only reason they put 1 mil as shipping costs on it is because otherwise people from the UK or Europe could actually use backerkit too order since it cant exclude a region or country from it.This is what happend for the SKip beat backerkit as well. So honestly people stop complaining while you couldve known this already. Just wait for Anime Limited Escaflowne release in december, it will include the new dub.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
idkAlan wrote:
Just wait until the Escaflowne issues are addressed, especially the ones from the Kickstarter.

I mean various Kickstarter backers are reporting that Funimation poorly packaged the collector's editions as well as forgot to add items.

I mean you guys thought that they were ignoring the Code Geass issue, you haven't seen nothing yet.

Almost all the collectors edition backers were ripped off.

Where's the QA department, that's what I want to know. This is the first set I've gotten from them that has problems.

Their QA, manufacturing guys, and whoever handles their distribution are literally sh*t. And have been for the last couple of years. I am consistently dumbfounded that they have yet to do something about all of these ridiculous mistakes. Discs are regularly falling out of their cases, cracked pieces of plastic, crooked boxes, the set not even fitting together properly, like Tokyo Ghoul(the outer part rubbing harshly against the inner box and leaving black marks), etc etc. I figured this stuff would all blow over eventually, but if anything, they just get worse and worse.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am content with my CE. Based on my watching experience the dub audio issues in the R2 discs are real, but the people who first reported it are exaggerating a bit. I am not moving a finger to try to exchange my product, but it would be nice if Funimation automatically sends me corrected discs like other companies have done.

I'm not going to send them jack, but I am going to solicit them for replacement discs. We paid for a product and didn't get it, so this should really be an automatic fix where everyone just gets new discs.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
I have just emailed ANN about the Escaflowne KickStarter trainwreck, I did it because someone on the KickStarter noticed the Code Geass article I contributed to.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
idkAlan wrote:
Just wait until the Escaflowne issues are addressed, especially the ones from the Kickstarter.

I mean various Kickstarter backers are reporting that Funimation poorly packaged the collector's editions as well as forgot to add items.

I mean you guys thought that they were ignoring the Code Geass issue, you haven't seen nothing yet.

Almost all the collectors edition backers were ripped off.
No kidding, they're getting absolutely hammered in the comments right now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funimationprod/the-vision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas/comments

Reports of plenty of damaged stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NormanicGrav

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Why are people whining that Funimation doesnt ship Escaflowne to the UK? From the very beginning Funimation made it very clear they ONLY got the US/Canada rights.

I'll agree on this as well. This kickstarter shouldn't be accessible to anyone outside those regions regardless.

Either way I find the UK Ultimate Edition to have better value for its price. For those who don't know, the UK UE includes the TV series (Sub, Bandai Dub, Funi Dub) authored by Justin Sevakis (i.e. not the exact discs that Funi are using since this was being worked on way before Funi announced their pointless kickstarter), the Movie (Sub, Bandai Dub, Funi Dub), 3 Original Soundtracks from Yoko Kanno, an Artbook and a nice box with collector's edition digipack packaging for the discs. All for currently £105-110 ($130-136). More on the contents here.

Anywho on-topic, glad to hear that Funimation are going to fix the audio issue.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
NormanicGrav wrote:
glad to hear that Funimation are going to fix the audio issue.

Well, based on this article, they have not exactly confirmed they are fixing the audio. Funimation only said that "the company will make efforts to remedy the situation."

I would temper my expectations.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
So are they planning to recall the ones that are already on the market or people going to have to purchase it and hope they didn't get the first pressing?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't care for Geass or Escaflowne but I am interested in this giant screw up. I did some reading on a few forums, so lemme get this straight:

Geass:
-The Collector's Edition has a crooked box
-S2 audio is messed up (both in the regular and CE discs)
-Funimation denies these problems

Escaflowne:
-False advertising, people who bought the CE did not get clear cases or that extra dvd
-Only people from the kickstarter got the clear cases
-They packaged the postcards separately and those arrived damaged for most people

Is that right or am I missing something?
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
So are they planning to recall the ones that are already on the market or people going to have to purchase it and hope they didn't get the first pressing?

I don't think they are going to recall anything, and I don't think there is going to be an additional reprinting. The set is already OOP. What is probably(hopefully) going to happen is that they will automatically send new discs in an envelope to everyone who bought the release. I wouldn't be surprised if they only send them out to people who solicit them, though, which is why I've been sending them emails.

On another note. Man, I am sooo glad I dropped out of that kickstarter!
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I don't care for Geass or Escaflowne but I am interested in this giant screw up. I did some reading on a few forums, so lemme get this straight:

Geass:

Escaflowne:
-False advertising, people who bought the CE did not get clear cases or that extra dvd
-They packaged the postcards separately and those arrived damaged for most people

That's about right. My Escaflowne CE which I got from Deepdiscount,had pretty beat box and had one of the cases with one latches missing to hold the discs. Seeing that tons of other people having the same issues,it's quite obvious they rushed it out to meet their street date,without any sort of quality control.
PenguinPimp89

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TheMorry"]
BigOnAnime wrote:
bs3311 wrote:
about time, Can they also remedy their peeling/tilted art box for this like what happened with psycho pass? Along with their KS screw up for wrong colored cases, late delivery and jokes towards UK customers requesting em to charge funi 1 million pounds?

Why are people whining that Funimation doesnt ship Escaflowne to the UK? From the very beginning Funimation made it very clear they ONLY got the US/Canada rights. They clearly said in the KS funding that they cannot send it to Europe. The only reason they put 1 mil as shipping costs on it is because otherwise people from the UK or Europe could actually use backerkit too order since it cant exclude a region or country from it.This is what happend for the SKip beat backerkit as well. So honestly people stop complaining while you couldve known this already. Just wait for Anime Limited Escaflowne release in december, it will include the new dub.

Not worth arguing, @BigOnAnime is a notorious troll on anime forums, who relishes the chance to nitpick and attack Funimation at any given chance, though often times, these nit picks aren't even really truthful or valid. God forbid a Funi rep sneezes the wrong way and they'll turn it into a scandal.

Meanwhile, Sentai Filmworks is holier than thou in their eyes and can do no wrong, which is very ironic, given that Sentai Filmworks is notorious for bad/crap releases, mediocre to bad dubs, and has a generally negative reputation among the consensus of anime fans. I seriously can't take any of their critiques seriously, especially when they try to argue that Sentai is the superior licensor/distributor. Their bias is thicker than crude oil. I sometimes have a little laugh, imagining that @BigOnAnime could really be John Ledford, who's still really salty that his shady Section 23 tactic didn't work out the way he thought it would.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Geass:

Escaflowne:

That's about right. My Escaflowne CE which I got from Deepdiscount,had pretty beat box and had one of the cases with one latches missing to hold the discs. Seeing that tons of other people having the same issues,it's quite obvious they rushed it out to meet their street date,without any sort of quality control.

Wow. Looks like I was lucky for a change, which is ironic since I usually have awful luck with receiving things damaged in the mail. My Code Geass CE box isn't crooked, and even though there are some parts of my Escaflowne CE that are damaged, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as what others are reporting. I've already solicited FUNi about the Code Geass R2 problems, and plan to do the same with my Escaflowne set, but I want to take pictures of it first. To all those experiencing the worse end of this, I know full well how frustrating that can be. Hang in there! Smile

Re: The KS-only DVDs in the Escaflowne set, my understanding is that it's an honest error, not intentional. I think calling it being ripped off is overstating this particular issue with the Escaflowne distribution.

I had a bunch of issues with FUNi stuff (various FMA properties and Yurikuma Arashi) over the summer, having to exchange things multiple times just to get an undamaged copy. At one point I e-mailed them and suggested they check the manufacturing on their end, and they responded by saying that they weren't aware of any problems. It's disappointing to hear that this kind of denial of screw-ups on their end is apparently a pattern.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="PenguinPimp89"]
TheMorry wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
bs3311 wrote:

Not worth arguing, @BigOnAnime is a notorious troll on anime forums, who relishes the chance to nitpick and attack Funimation at any given chance, though often times, these nit picks aren't even really truthful or valid. God forbid a Funi rep sneezes the wrong way and they'll turn it into a scandal.

Meanwhile, Sentai Filmworks is holier than thou in their eyes and can do no wrong, which is very ironic, given that Sentai Filmworks is notorious for bad/crap releases, mediocre to bad dubs, and has a generally negative reputation among the consensus of anime fans. I seriously can't take any of their critiques seriously, especially when they try to argue that Sentai is the superior licensor/distributor. Their bias is thicker than crude oil. I sometimes have a little laugh, imagining that @BigOnAnime could really be John Ledford, who's still really salty that his shady Section 23 tactic didn't work out the way he thought it would.

Now this is just childish. Specifically attacking a user for being active in the general anime community, buying a decent amount of releases and noticing screw-ups is ridiculous - and then accuse it be a big cover by John Ledford?

@BigOnAnime and other users are upset about the way they received Code Geass R2 and have every right to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
PenguinPimp89 wrote:

Not worth arguing, @BigOnAnime is a notorious troll on anime forums, who relishes the chance to nitpick and attack Funimation at any given chance, though often times, these nit picks aren't even really truthful or valid. God forbid a Funi rep sneezes the wrong way and they'll turn it into a scandal

It's not their fault Funimation screws up so often. Complaining and creating a discussion around valid problems in a release is a positive thing in the community for anyone who is a collector. No one here is biased against Funimation for unfair reasons. Why would we just randomly hate a company that is providing us with anime? They have created all of the frustration and anger surrounding their company and products by consistently putting out problematic releases, at times, treating this thing that we all love as if it is just a paycheck. If any other company acted this way, they'd get the same feedback(and do!). We just want competent releases that respect the fandom and property.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6